After a long drive through the uncompromising beauty of a desert landscape we received a warm welcome at Stovepipe Wells Village. Our room was spacious, well maintained and scrupulously clean. It faced out onto undulating golden dunes in the distance and ancient folded mountains warmed by the setting sun. The accommodationn is unpretentious with hairdryer and coffee maker, a small refrigerator, a television ( which we did not turn on!) and very good shower for quick showering in fossil water. We experienced a high standard of service by the friendly and very accommodating staff. Food in the restaurant is excellent – great selection of dishes and fresh salads and vegetables despite the logistics of getting fresh produce across long distances and the remote location of the village. The village shop is well stocked with reasonably priced souvenirs and a small selection of food and beverages, and the staff on duty are friendly and helpful. Stamps can be bought and letters and post cards posted - another thoughtful gesture. An enormous pool offers refreshment after a long drive. Due to the remote location, mobile reception and wi fi are not good – but we managed without our addictions to instant availability and it felt so good to be literally “out of touch” and “unavailable”. The owners have made modifications to the exiting lighting, but we would have preferred to see the velvety starry skies with ground level lighting perhaps concealed in fibre glass rocks to minimise light pollution. The air conditioners rattle and grown all night long from neighbouring bedrooms which makes sleeping with windows open at night very noisy – high energy consumption in this environmentally delicate area – perhaps guests could minimise their use of the air conditioners in the cooler weather. We liked the attempt at recycling human waste and noted that the well-sealed bins were regularly emptied and cleaned to deter hardy desert rodents.
Highly recommended for a stop over or a longer stay. Good value for money and a fabulous place to experience the fragile beauty of the desert in great comfort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stovepipe Wells Village hotels, located in the heart of Death Valley National Park, is the ultimate destination for adventure traveler and families searching to explore all that Death Valley has to offer. Authentically western, rustic yet comfortable, Stovepipe Wells Village is a unique, full-service hotel featuring the Badwater Saloon and Tollhouse Restaurant. Our hotel is a full-service destination offering a variety of amenities including a gas station and a full-stocked General Store. After hiking around the badlands, sand dunes and canyons, Stovepipe Wells Village is more than a welcome sight with our friendly, knowledgeable staff, great food and cold drinks. It's a place where history is made and legends born. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon so you can book your Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel Death Valley National Park
- Stovepipe Wells Village Resort