“Didn't even get to taste the food” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room

Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seattle, WA
“Didn't even get to taste the food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband, our three year old and myself arrived for breakfast at 10:20am. Two groups were ahead of us and were promptly seated. Then we waited while the hostess wondered around the dining room. When she finally came back to the hostess stand she said they were no longer serving breakfast. It closes at 10:30. It was 10:31. I understand there are rules. I know the chef needed time to prepare lunch. What I don't understand is why she seated the two other groups but not us when she plainly saw we were waiting. There were empty tables. We had a hungry three year old with us too. That was low. This was by far the worst experience in a National Park lodge we have ever had. Go somewhere else.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank backpackerjmk
Xanterra, Manager at Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I apologize personally and sincerely for your experience at my lodge. We pride ourselves in providing a quality experience for each and every guest who visits. I am normally very proud of my staff, they do remarkable things everyday under adverse circumstances, but our behavior in this instance is inexcusable. A minute, or even 10minutes, should not have made a difference in seating you for breakfast. I regret that I was not able to rectify the situation at the time and that I can only offer my regrets and an assurance that we take feedback such as this very seriously and will be using this experience to insure that nothing like it happens again.

Timothy Mahoney
Lodge Manager
Crater Lake Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Rochester, NY
“Beautiful dining room, very nice dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

It's not cheap, but, hey, you're in a historic dining room in the middle of a giant park which is not easy to get to. The food was fresh and good, and we were hungry after our long hike. Can't recommend the appetizers because they were quite small (but good) but the entrees were fine. Yes, you can save money by picnicking but dining room was much more elegant. Breakfast was a little expensive, but we were not willing to drive a half hour. Good complimentary coffee was served in the lobby. Seating is limited so if you know you want to eat there, book in advance.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Gourmet dining experience in Crater Lake NP? Really???”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had a family dinner at Crater Lake Lodge during our visit. Despite the first seating in the evening, the wait staff uniforms (servers' vests to be precise) were already dirty - not exactly a promising start. While starters were o.k. (mussels) the main courses were down right horrible: New York steak ordered as medium was cremated and tasted like sawdust ash, the chicken breast was so dry it must have been waiting for hours to be served, bison meatloaf didn't taste like bison at all and the lamb chops were probably from a lamb that died of natural causes a few winters back and was recently found in a glacier - no taste, dry and chewy. Yuck, yuck, yuck.. We skipped the desert menu as precaution. Best avoided... We nada much better and much cheaper meal at the Lake of the Woods Lodge.

2 Thank VeronikaSI
Xanterra, Manager at Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Veronika P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review to Trip Advisor. Reviews such as yours help us monitor the level of service we provide.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal at the lodge. I am normally very proud of my chef and his crew and can assure you the meal you experienced was not up to our normally very high standards. You fail to mention if the issues were brought to the attention of the restaurant staff or the kitchen. We strive to provide the best meals for all our guests and when we fail, my staff is trained to make things right, immediately. I was not made aware of your displeasure through my staff or through our internal feedback system.

I would be happy to discuss the issue with you, I am available at the lodge Tue. – Sat. 8-6 at 541-594-2255 x3202.

Thanks again,

Tim Mahoney
Lodge Manager
tmahoney@xanterra.com
Green Valley, Arizona
“Good Food and Fabulous View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Due to the attraction of Crater Lake, this restaurant is very popular, especially on weekends. Expect to wait a half hour or more. Dinner reservations are mostly taken up by lodge guests days in advance, so if you can get in for dinner you will be lucky if seated before 7:30pm.

The service is good and efficient. Meals were served promptly, but were a bit on the cold side, luke warm instead of hot. Prices are a bit steep, but the view from the restaurant makes it worth it.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
oregon
“Fantastic View”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

First, this is the only decent restaurant in the park. Breakfast and lunch are first come, first serve. Reservations are suggested for dinner. If you have little kids, go to the cafe /gift shop place near the entrance to the village, the dining room and menu are not kid friendly. Window tables are limited, but you will see the lake from about anywhere in the dining room. The food is overpriced, but what National Park franchise isn't? Service was not bad, but not great either. Food quality was a solid "B"

Visited August 2012