“A trip to the geological past.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wizard Island

Wizard Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Island in Crater Lake.
Medford, Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A trip to the geological past.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just the thought of the magnificent volano erupting, is awe inspiring! The boat ride I took was really fun & the guide was knowledgeable. The hike down was easy; the hike up, not so much - BUT it was definitely worth it!

1 Thank kdtatyana

Ft. Lauderdale
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Magical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We took the Wizard Island boat tour and stopped on the island for 3 hours. The choices are 3 and 6 hours on the island. My group hiked to the top of the crater and had a picnic lunch. Then we hiked down and I swam in the cold water. I brought a bathing suit and water shoes. The tour is excellent and well worth the price. You get an entirely different perspective from the water as from atop going around the rim. The best part was going past the Phantom Ship. The worst part was our guide for the first half. Her name was Samantha and she was anxious and frightened of public speaking, even though this is her job. She could barely state her name or any facts of the place. Our guide for the second half was great.

4 Thank Kim L
Albuquerque, New Mexico
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“What a view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Taking a boat to Wizard Lake can definitly give you an amazing perspective of the park. Its a bit humbling to know that its the result of the active volcano below that is slowly rising agian.

1 Thank PhotoJAC
Tucson, Arizona
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“We Took the Boat Tour Around the Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Boat Tour is well done, with good information from the rangers on the Island and the lake. You need to reserve a space in advance and be sure to consider the weather - it is a 1.1 mi. hike down on uneven ground to the boat ramp with a change in elevation of 700 feet. Remember you are already at 7,000 ft. alt. so you are going down to 6300 ft. and then back up 1.1 mi. and 700 feet. Do the climb up during the cooler part of the day. Now I am older (71) with mild asthma (I used my inhaler before the walk down and again before the walk up) and some other issues (in pretty good physical condition otherwise) but I did it - took me a bit longer, but I did it. My husband cheered me on and so did the other hikers. Be sure to bring enough water - at least one bottle going down and your can buy one for the walk up. There are bathroom facilities when you get down there and you can use a walking stick (they let me leave mine in the cabana while we were out on the boat). While there are plenty of benches to rest along the way - it seemed liked the steepest parts were lacking benches. Oh yes, you can bring a bathing suit if you like and go swimming and diving into the lake before or after the boat ride.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank SaguaroCity
Kirkland, Washington
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Adventure you do not want to miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The clearest water, views, very good explanations from the rangers. You can swim in the lake, fish (it is encouraged!) or go to the summit of the island. Remember to reserve this trip in advance, they are very popular and may not be available.

1 Thank Poisik