“Spectacular”

Crater Lake National Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Beautiful lake which is the centerpiece of Crater Lake National Park.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Made sure we stopped there on the way up to Bend and we were not disapointed! It was only a passing trip so was purely sight seeing and photo taking so that's all we can really comment on but for those two things alone, it was very spectacular. We stopped at the main area where you will find the beautiful Lodge, the gift shop. info centre and food options. Be aware, the food up there is incredibly expensive. Even just for a Sandwich and Chips. I don't want to quote a number as I cannot remember exactly, but I was actually quite disgusted at how expensive it was. Other than that, I couldn't really fault the place though. Having thoroughly enjouyed the views from the main area, we headed around the West side of the Crater where the road climbs slightly and offers a couple of even more elevated view points that were even better! Didn't get time to do the East side as well, but in all, really recommend Crater Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (2,462)
All reviews
in 33 reviews
"road trip"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed February 1, 2013

There are no words that can be said about this utterly beautiful place. The scenery up to the lake is jaw dropping in itself but the views over the lake are ................!!! Like I said words do not express the stunning beauty of this lake. If you happen to be anywhere in Oregon this lake is a definite MUST SEE.
Although your at the snow line in July the day we were there the temperatures were at least 22 degree C

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This natural monument has been on my to-do list since a young age. I was fortunate enough to be able to go, though it was early May. There was so much snow; we were lucky that the main road leading up was plowed. I'm from Upstate NY and say this. We climbed atop a large bank to view the lake, but the snow and wind blocked it entirely. We went down to the visitor's building (whose staff was great by the way) for a while to wait, went back up, and there it was. Absolutely stunning. I'd love to go back during the summer so I can drive all the way around the rim and see other areas, though I recommend this park point blank period. My advice? Check the official website if you're worried about weather/road conditions, and always be environmentally courteous. I and everyone else who loves this place appreciates it :)

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Crater Lake is just a short distance from where I live and I try to spend as much time in the park each year as I can, in all seasons. The park get approximately 533 inches of snow each year and I don't do icy-snowy roads unless I have to, but make a point of visiting the park at least once during the winter months.

If you love to hike, there are several hiking trails that will get your blood pumping: Mount Scott, Garfield Peak and Cleetwood Cove just to name a few.

The driver around the lake is approximately 33 miles which does not include the 14 mile round trip to see the Pinnacles. This is a must! If you are into photography, I recommend stopping twice on your trip. Once in the morning and then again in the late afternoon to get the good light in each time of the day.

Again, if you are doing photography and hiking, I recommend Mount Scott as a morning hike and Watchman Peak as an afternoon or early evening hike. Garfield Peak and Cleetwood Cove can be doing anytime.

There is a deli and gift shop at Rim Village. Before entering the park, there is Annie Creek gift shop and restaurant which are excellent.

The Lodge at the Rim also has a wonderful dining room with good food.

Crater Lake is a little out of the way, but having a love for this park, I highly recommend a stop and not for just a few hours, spend the day; get out and hike!

1  Thank LYNN J
See more reviews
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We do not live too far from Crater Lake and try to go there at least a few times per year. We enjoy the beautiful views at any time of year. The free snowshoe tour in the winter is great. Our very favorite is the boat tour though. The views are spectacular from the water. Just be prepared to climb down into the crater and back up. There are many wonderful trails to walk in this park. The visitor center is informative and they have a fun program for kids. The rangers are always friendly and inviting.