“Not what I expected”

Carlsbad Caverns Natural Entrance Tour
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I only had 2 hours so asked at the information booth what I'd be able to do in 2 hours. I was told to walk the red and blue trails - each was a little over a mile and I should have no trouble finishing in my allotted time. Obviously this fellow has never seen me walk downhill. It took me so long to walk from the natural entrance to the big room. Then I had to rush through the second half which seemed to be more interesting.

The caverns were impressive but I was expecting the beauty of Howe Caverns in NY on a larger scale, and on that level I was disappointed. I guess it's because these caves are kept to a more natural state.

I'm glad I went, but I don't think I'd go back with my husband or kids.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,421)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"spring break"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Carlsbad Caverns is considered a national treasure. I drove forever to get to this place, and boy was I disappointed. The staff is great but the caverns themselves are just not very spectacular, at least not after the first half hour. We did the natural entrance and big room tours and it just seemed like more and more of the same thing. I have been in caverns in Tennessee, Virginia, and South Africa and I was constantly mesmerized. Here in CC, I just felt like I was seeing same thing again and again. Possibly it was because CC is huge and those are much smaller. And frankly, it just wasn't that spectacular here. All my life I waited for this (here in me early 60s) and I'm glad I did it, but you couldn't pay me enough money to do this again.

1  Thank Deltatraveler2012
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I had not been to Carlsbad Caverns in 25 years. I really thought it could not be as awe inspiring as I remembered - I was so wrong.

I took the elevator down on a Sunday, with almost no wait, and did the circuit. It was so enjoyable and such a nice, comfortable walk that I did it twice and must have taken 50 pictures. It is so incredibly beautiful 750 feet underground that everyone who is anywhere near should treat themselves with this experience. Just be sure to bring a light sweater as it is around 50 degrees year round down under.

I will say I was suprised how many people are truly out of shape. Don't get me wrong, I am no athlete and certainly need to loose some lbs and work out more than my sporatic efforts. I saw people; teens, middle, and certainly not old who were panting and needing to take a rest during the walk due to some inclines and declines (nothing steep) - it was a pretty depressing commentary on how we all need to keep more active.

The only thing I would probably not do again is rent the audio strip. It is a little too dark to see the numbers that do not light up and the narration is kind of hokey.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Our family was fortunate enough to participate in the bat flight breakfast this year. This is a very cool experience and is totally different than watching the evening flight. It only happens once a year and it is early (4:30AM), but like most things on vacation the early bird catches the worm and with less crowds! My kids (7 and 11) thought entering the caves through the natural entrance was so cool. This is such a unique experience and worth the effort to get there.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff seemed friendly and the caverns are awesome but the 1 - 2 hour wait to get on the elevator to go up was ridiculous. If they could only have 2 of their 4 elevators working, they should have shut down or at the very informed people when they were buying tickets. If we had known, we would have not gone down. The horrendous wait ruined the whole experience for us and we will not return. I think the trapped people may contravene state laws for safety and not having wheelchair and stroller accessibility is not acceptable.

3  Thank Feds294201