“Beautiful, scenic walk down and educational too”

Carlsbad Caverns Natural Entrance Tour
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Well worth the 45 minutes to an hour that it takes to get down to the Big Room. There are plenty of signs along the way to educate and inform. In addition, you won't lack for scenic viewpoints from which to take great pictures.

1  Thank AndyMK47
Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The self guided tour is absolutely breath taking. As you continue down some 700+feet into the depths of creation, you are witness to undefined beauty and an expansiveness that can not be described. Every nook holds something which my eyes had never seen or imagined. I highly recommend taking the opportunity to take this tour, best $6 I have ever spent.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We arrived early and were fortunate enough to see Mountain Sheep and a large buck on the 7 mile road into the visitor center and cavern. We knew we wanted to walk the natural trail into the cavern and view the Big Room. At the visitor center we purchased our entrance passes and also scheduled our afternoon tour of the Kings Palace. (If you are visiting peak times you may want to schedule the tours online.) We enjoyed both very much.
After a nice lunch in the restaurant and several purchases in the gift shop, we met for our tour. Ranger Mat Dollar did an excellent job directing the King's Room tour! After the tour, we went upstairs and another ranger (nice young lady with long blond hair and glasses), gave us a very informative talk on bats. We loved our day at the caverns and would highly recommend it!

1  Thank SDOntheroad
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was my first experience visiting caves and I was impressed and inspired.
It was indescribably beautiful
I took the tour of the Kings Palace and saw the Queens chamber and many other incredible sites. The tour was an hour and a half which included time sitting, looking and listening to the guide so it wasn't at all tiring or boring.
I am a senior and took the elevator instead of the hike down. Even though two elevators were out of order, it was very well organized.
The tour guide did a wonderful job taking into consideration children and folks of all ages.
There is a restaurant which I didn't visit but the shop was worth a stop.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Carlsbad Caverns is one of my favorite places to visit in the West Texas/Southeast New Mexico part of the world. It's an incredible place to take the family and everyone will be amazed by the formations made over thousands of years as the limestone was dissolved by sulfuric acid.

If you would like to see some photos I took of the Caverns on my last visit, you can view them here: