“Really surprising & really good!”
Review of Aztec Butte Trail

Aztec Butte Trail
Strandhill, Ireland
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 214 helpful votes
“Really surprising & really good!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've been to Canyonlands 3 times now, and didn't do this hike until last week. What a shocker, it's really fun! You have to climb up the slickrock butte which is great fun and easy enough! The ancient grain 'houses' on the edge of the butte are really fascinating too, with stunning views. The snow on the edge of the butte made things a bit hairy but it all added to the hike!

Visited February 2013

London, UK
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 411 helpful votes
“An Enjoyable, Easy, Trail Offering Very Good Northerly Views”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I hiked the 'Aztec Butte Trail' on the 4th day of my multi-day visit to the magical Canyonlands NP, as part of my month-long tour of the Utah/Arizona natural attractions last year. I have posted separate reviews for several individual trails/overlooks, plus an 'introductory' review for the 2 main areas within the NP ('Island in the Sky' and the 'Needles') and the NP as a whole under the TA webpage (incorrectly) entitled 'Canyonland' (sic).

Situated within the 'Island in the Sky' region, I think that the 'Aztec Butte Trail' is quite enjoyable and not that strenuous since the 'access' route to the buttes themselves is essentially flat. It also offers the opportunity to get impressive, long-distance, views looking out northwards from the NP district.

When I prepared to write this review I was surprised to find that a dedicated TA webpage for it didn't exist. So, post my request for one to be generated this should be the inaugural review !

I have compiled an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my tour, which includes 'extra' attractions and also has links to the other individual TA reviews I've contributed for the accommodation/attractions I visited - it has been made a Trip Advisor 'Itinerary'; I hope it is of interest and use to you - I plan to add visitor information sections/viewable media sections..... The most direct way to access it is by clicking my review-count below my profile name to the left of this review text. Alternatively, see after my review below the dashed line...

Along with a link at the end of this review, you can also access my other Canyonlands reviews that way...

The trailhead is easy to find, starting from a roadside parking area on the eastern side of the scenic drive as it heads north, just after the turn-off for the quite magnificent, and completely unmissable, 'Green River Overlook' (see my review). There is a large and detailed information board with map showing the destination and enroute features; my photo of it will hopefully be added to this review....

Underfoot the trail is largely firm but quite sandy and in surroundings which I feel might attract a snake population; although I saw none, I had that feeling of being watched....! It has a round-trip distance of 2 miles and there is an ascent of some 200ft or so, but I feel that is if you climb the destination slick sandstone butte rather than stay at ground-level and just gaze at it. - it is graded by the NP as 'Moderate'.

Along the way there are some pleasant views all around you, with various rock ridges/formations lining the route; do note that there is little or no opportunity for shade on that stretch. The butte which gives it's name to the trail is hard to miss, it's a massive off-white coloured rock, which is perhaps better described as a large sandstone 'mound' - it has Navajo connections and 'contains' remnants of an ancient granary....

Once you've scaled it, looked around and of course soaked-up the magnificent panoramas from atop it's time to turn back, perhaps via a detour to some of the other smaller sandstone mounds in the vicinity...

This trail is well worth doing, since it isn't all that strenuous, is not that popular (so can be peaceful), yet offers a pleasant 'inland' stroll as well as great views from atop the sandstone butte/mound, unusual for being to the north/northeast.

I will add any relevant photos after this review is posted by TA.

----------------------------

As well as the method described near the start of this review my TA 'Trip List' can also be accessed from the 'Utah Itineraries' link on the right of the Utah Forum page. Or the direct link is :

Alternatively, to search via TA, it is entitled 'Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce and other SUtah Natl Parks + Monument Valley-May 2011'.

Please feel free to send me messages with any questions.

Visited June 2011