“Some of the greatest views in Utah, you will find them here.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Green River Overlook
Loveland, Colorado
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 711 helpful votes
“Some of the greatest views in Utah, you will find them here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

In my opinion, the Green River Overlook is the pinnacle of the many mind-blowing views at Canyonlands. Mere words and pictures cannot begin to do justice in describing these views, so just go and enjoy.

Coming back from Grand View Point, turn left onto Upheaval Dome Road and then another left on Green Canyon Overlook Road and at the end you will not believe what awaits you. I was fortunate enough on one of my visits to witness a thunderstorm miles off in the distant and it was a spectacle. Enjoy.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Goatesians

Chester, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Wheelchair friendly Overlook, incomparable Sunsets not to be missed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Green River Overlook is wheelchair accessible, as is Grand View Point and Buck Canyon Overlook. Visitor Center toilets are wheelchair accessible too.
If you are interested in sunrise/sunset watching, get the times at the visitor center, Visit Mesa Arch at dawn. Visit Green River or Grand View Point at dusk, makes even a dummy's photo look stupendous.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank TraverseLT
Strandhill, Ireland
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 205 helpful votes
“Best View in Canyonlands Island in the Sky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is simply Best View in Canyonlands Island in the Sky, especially in winter, and especially when there's a snow storm about to blow in! The light changes, the clouds, the fog, the view was simply unreal! Stunning at sunset too.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank irish_captain
Hazlet
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“This is astounding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

In making up our itinerary of things-to-do in the Canyonlands - Needles area, I wrestled with going to either Green River Overlook or Dead Horse Point which is relatively nearby. I didn't want to spend time visiting every overlook that has ever been created. I chose Green River Overlook because of the things that I had read and I'm certainly glad that I chose so well. As another reviewer had said, this is a "wow!", but in a view quiet reverential way. The view is astounding and, while you look as far as the eye can see - and easily locate where it is raining on someone else -, you can also notice how absolutely quiet it can be. Beauty and silence can be a powerful thing. Don't miss the experience - it's only a short walk from the car.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank Fishscales44
London, UK
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 396 helpful votes
“An UNBEATABLE, Quite Awe-Inspiring View, with Easy-Access: SUPERB !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

I visited the 'Green River Overlook' during my multi-day visit to the magical Canyonlands NP, as part of my month-long tour of the Utah/Arizona natural attractions last year. I have posted separate reviews for several individual trails/overlooks, plus an 'introductory' review for the 2 main areas within the NP ('Island in the Sky' and the 'Needles') and the NP as a whole under the TA webpage (incorrectly) entitled 'Canyonland' (sic).

I can't say why, but from the visitor centre I proceeded straight for this overlook; I could have gone to a multitude of other venues, but fate resulted with my first panoramic viewing being what was clearly the most magical, astounding, jaw-dropping vista I have ever seen.... You've no doubt seen the view (but in part probably) already in some way, as it is rightly a photo of the view that often features in articles about Canyonlands !

When I prepared to write this review I was amazed to find that a dedicated TA webpage for it didn't exist. So, post my request for one to be generated this should be the inaugural review !

This entry should not be confused with the similarly titled CL attraction 'Green River', which deals specifically with the body of water, rafting etc....

I have compiled an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my tour, which includes 'extra' attractions and also has links to the other individual TA reviews I've contributed for the accommodation/attractions I visited - it has been made a Trip Advisor 'Itinerary'; I hope it is of interest and use to you - I plan to add visitor information sections/viewable media sections..... The most direct way to access it is by clicking my review-count below my profile name to the left of this review text. Alternatively, see after my review below the dashed line...

You can also access my other Canyonlands reviews that way...

The west-looking overlook is accessed from the main scenic road on a short stretch of paved road; there is a very large car park there, from where you walk a VERY short/flat distance to the main overlook viewing area.

As the outlook only properly 'opens-up' as you get right next to the edge/wall, I was literally stopped in my tracks with awe and delight as the whole panorama suddenly hit my eyes.

I eventually uttered the word 'wow' to myself, sat down on a rock and just peacefully gazed out over the plateau below me, adorned with a beautifully white-rimmed river gorge, numerous peak and rock formations, buttes, canyon walls to the sides and in the far distance an almost horizon-wide cliff face with the snow-covered Henry Mountain range appearing to sit atop (although it is actually much, much further away in the distance).

The canyons/river gorges are courtesy of the significant 'Green River', which flows through the NP and has a number of tributaries and also gives it's name to the overlook of course ! There's also the town of 'Green River', well upstream, off the I-70....

What a fantastic and unexpected start to my time in the region this experience was; it bettered what I thought was to be the pinnacle of my tour, namely the views from the astoundingly impressive 'Muley
Point Overlook' (see my review). I returned to this overlook viewpoint several times over the coming days to soak up the view even more, the best of which was after a very early arrival so I was completely alone at each significant overlook with just the sun and wind for company....

If you're prepared to 'scramble' a bit you can move sideways and downwards a fair amount, more significantly towards the north, for more secluded/different views and a sit down on the slightly sloping rockface - it makes it a very peaceful setting....

I think that this overlook offers some of the most impressive, awe-inspiring, views anyone will ever see. As it's almost the first attraction you go past from the entrance, there is even more reason to make it your first stop; everything might be a bit of an anti-climax from then on, but that is a relative comparison as CL has so much to offer.

I will add any relevant photos/videos after this review is posted by TA.

----------------------------

As well as the method described near the start of this review my TA 'Trip List' can also be accessed from the 'Utah Itineraries' link on the right of the Utah Forum page. Or the direct link is :

Alternatively, to search via TA, it is entitled 'Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce and other SUtah Natl Parks + Monument Valley-May 2011'.

Please feel free to send me messages with any questions.

Visited June 2011