“Most terrifying ride of my life!”
Review of Shafer Trail

Shafer Trail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Cattle trail which can be used by sport vehicles.
Reviewed November 29, 2016

If you are brave enough to drive this trail, make sure that you have nerves of steel and a four-wheel drive. Steep, narrow one-lane dirt road with a drop-off into thin air on one side and the canyon wall on the other, sharp and steep switchbacks, and the occasion fallen rocks in the road make this journey tense and hair-raising. I was too terrified to enjoy the views and by the time we got to the canyon floor I was shaking so badly that I could barely stand up. Although the views from the canyon floor were magnificent and something you would never see just by going to the overlook, I will never ever ever willingly do something like this again. I am not usually faint-of-heart, but this was overwhelmingly scary.

6  Thank JillH2010
"switch backs"
"great adventure"
"low gear"

Reviewed November 28, 2016

Bring your high clearance 4x4 or rent one and check out this trail! You can go out for a couple hours or get back country camping permits and spend a couple days doing the entire trail! lots of places on the switch backs where its only wide enough for 1 vehicle so watch for others who may be coming towards you. Check in t the visitor center to get your back country permit. Its free, you just need to check in before you go.

2  Thank Heaven L
Reviewed November 27, 2016

It is a scenic drive with some steep rocky areas. The scenery is beautiful and not a crowded destination in the fall. Would be great jeep trekking

1  Thank lifeis2goodtimes
Reviewed October 19, 2016

I read several reviews after our trip along the entire length of Shafer Trail. I agree that the views along the trail are awesome, even better than from the paved roads and hiking trails within the park. We started our drive from the east along Potash Road and ended with the steep dangerous incline near the Canyonlands Visitor Center. Virtually all of the incredible scenery can be viewed without the drama and danger by driving east to west for most of the Trail and returning via Potash Road. The Trail is rough and a 4 wheel drive vehicle with high clearance is almost essential. The final mile exiting via the steep switchbacks on the west end leave no room for error, and error would be almost certainly fatal, but the danger can be avoided.

1  Thank LakeMotel
See more reviews
Reviewed October 16, 2016

I was told after asking if the road below was for bicycles or what? If I had know it was so dangerous afterwards I would probably not gone. This road drops over 4,000 feet quickly to the canyon floor. The top view is where Thelma & Louise drove off the cliff in the move Thelma & Louise. First time ever I had my 2012 Jeep in 4WD Low to drag me down the switchbacks or I am sure I would have burned up my brakes and gone down must faster than anyone should or could. This is one of 6 times on our vacation this year my wife thought I was out to kill her. Do not do this unless you have 4WD high clearance and it would be very very dangerous if wet. So glad I did it. We took it all the way back to Moab about a 4 hour ride 38.7 miles. Very rough in spots.

3  Thank meken