Review Highlights
A long and winding road

Reviewed 6 days ago
2manyboats
Dallas, Texas
An unpaved, four-wheel-drive road that tests your nerves

Taylor B
Chicago, Illinois

All reviews white crack off road potatoes high clearance months in advance full size wheel drive reservation website support vehicle great mountain carry extra backcountry permit rocky roads turks head difficult parts entire length jeep wrangler
Reviewed 6 days ago

This is such a great trip, if one is properly prepared and have off road experience. We made the 100+ mile jaunt over two days, but three would have been easier. We had 5 motorcycles- 4 enduro and one dirt bike. Also, my Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 4WD as a chase truck. Full disclosure, we are mostly in our late 50's, I am 61. The dirt bike rider was my 21 year old nephew. The enduro bikes were pretty much perfect, although a bit heavy for some areas. My truck was a bit large for some of the switchbacks, but we got through it. Beautiful scenery and great off roading!

Reviewed 1 week ago

It's an easy hike and nice view of the canyon but Grand View Point has better views. Do only if you've done the other easy hikes.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I hiked this trail at Island in the Sky in Canyonlands National Park. This trail was not strenuous and the views were fabulous! Trail is well-marked.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The White Rim Trail, aka White Rim Road, is a 100-mile-long, unpaved four-wheel-drive dirt road that traverses the top of the White Rim Sandstone formation below the Island in the Sky mesa of Canyonlands National Park near Moab, Utah. The road was constructed in the 1950s by the Atomic Energy Commission to provide access for individual prospectors intent on mining uranium deposits for use in nuclear weapons production during the Cold War. Large deposits had been found in similar areas within the region but the mines along the White Rim Trail produced very little uranium and all the mines were abandoned. Today, the White Rim Trail is a boon to tourism, providing expansive views of the surrounding area. But four-wheel-drive trips usually take two to three days and mountain bike trips usually take three to four days. And there is no potable water along the entire trail. This was the road featured at the end of the movie "Thelma and Louise" when the two heroines drove over the edge, apparently thinking they had found the Grand Canyon. Access to White Rim Trail are by Mineral Bottom Road, also called Horsethief Trail, in the park's west side and Shafer Trail in the park's east side. Shafer Trail has been described as one of the most dangerous roads in the country. A shorter alternate from Moab is Potash Road, or Utah State Route 279, in the east side of the park which connects at the junction of White Rim Trail with Shafer Trail. Starting on Shafer Trail from the Island in the Sky mesa, travelers will encounter hairpin turns, steep grades and cliffs with no guard rails. White Rim Trail begins at the junction with Potash Road. At the Gooseneck Overlook, you get your first glimpse into the Colorado River canyon. Subsequent features include Musselman Arch, Airport Tower Butte and Washer Woman Arch, all visible from the road. Further on, you pass Buck Canyon, Gooseberry Canyon and Monument Basin with its rock pinnacles. The next challenge occurs at the steep Murphy Hogback, which marks the approximate halfway point on the road. Soon after the Hogback, the Turks Head Butte appears in the middle of an oxbow bend of the Green River. Candlestick Tower and Potato Bottom are next, then a steep and rocky section of road at Hardscrabble Hill and finally a five-mile spur road that leads to two rock towers called Moses and Zeus. The White Rim Trail ends outside the national park boundary at the junction with Mineral Bottom Road and its hairpin turns leading back to the Island in the Sky. Word of warning: all drivers should be cautious at all times and be aware that towing fees usually exceed $1,000 from the most remote areas.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Amazing hicking, great view. Our planet is just full of wonderful suprises and transformations for all to enjoy.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We drove in from Potash and stayed at Gooseberry the first night, Candlestick the second night but had to turn around at a Potatoe Basin due to the road being washed out.

It was fantastic and for our first time we learned a ton and will do it again.

First be prepared. We did not see anyone from the Park what so ever you are on your on. There is limited cell service until white crack then you are on your own unless you have a sat phone.

We had to turn around and had less than a quarter tank left on our ford f 150.

There are no fires so be prepared to cook with a camp stove. Pack in and pack out. The camp sites have out houses. The views are amazing and the road is difficult in a few places but in particular Murpheys hogback and hard scrabble

Reviewed August 6, 2018

gorgeous scenery. overlooks the Colorado River and there are many spots where you are right next to 400 foot drop offs with spectacular red rock views

Reviewed August 1, 2018

We loved this 4wd trail as far as we got. Only made it to Hogback because we didn't start early enough and we should planned to spend at least one night. But we totally enjoyed what we did get to drive and will plan to do it again and get permit to spend the night. We made memories of a lifetime! We drove in our jeep wrangler and had no problems. But we never made it to the really difficult part of hardscramble hill.

Reviewed July 4, 2018

I have been exploring Canyonlands for 3 years and I finally decided to traverse the 100 miles of the White Rim Trail (aka White Rim Road). The White Rim was not at all what I expected and below are my recommendations in traversing it.

I rented a vehicle from a Moab establishment (Canyonlands Jeep) that had a reputation for knowing exactly what equipment was required for off-roading on the White Rim. I rented a Jeep Wrangler that was a high clearance 4X4 with off-road all-terrain tires. Canyonlands Jeep told me that the tires were under-inflated for a reason and that I should leave them under-inflated during my trip. Driving on those tires was a learning experience and I almost felt like I was driving on balloons and it took me a good day to become comfortable in driving the jeep, which I did in Moab, but I eventually became accustomed with the jeep. But once I was on the White Rim it all made sense why the jeep was configured as it was.

My General Guidelines for travelling on the White Rim are:

1. You will only be able to average between 5 and 10 miles an hour. The slick rock is an extremely hard surface and you won’t be able to travel on it very quickly.

2. The White Rim is 100 miles long so you should camp at least 1 night, if not 2. The Canyonlands reservation website is very sophisticated and allows reservations 4 months in advance but be aware that there are only 20 group campsites over the 100 miles and they fill up very quickly, therefore, book 4 months in advance if you want a campsite.

3. You and your vehicle will be bouncing across the slick rock almost constantly so be sure to lock everything down with something akin to bungee cords. Anything delicate, for example cameras, need to be packed in serious packing material.

4. Rest when you feel tired! It’s extremely exhausting driving on the White Rim and I was shocked how physically tired I was being the driver, therefore, be sure to take breaks when you feel tired because you’ll need to be alert especially if you’re the driver on things like Murphy’s Hogback and Hardscrabble Hill.

A couple of tips about travelling on the White Rim if you’ve been viewing YouTube videos about Murphy’s Hogback and Hardscrabble Hill which are notoriously the most difficult parts of the White Rim Trail.

1. Murphy’s Hogback is a “piece of cake.” From the top of the Hogback it looks sinister, but you can easily see anyone coming up the Hogback so you can quickly avoid going down the Hogback if someone’s coming up it. It looks really ugly from the top, but it’s not really challenging once you get past the initial lip. Also, people coming up the Hogback watch for signals from people on the top for an all clear so it all works out very well since people are cooperating in both directions.

2. Hardscrabble Hill is an entirely different matter and a much more challenging trek. Hardscrabble Hill is close to 5 miles of up and down and very narrow. There are very few turnouts for vehicles to pass each other. It’s an absolute thrill to do Hardscrabble Hill, but be ready for some hair raising experiences depending on who else is coming from the opposite direction. There’s also no way for people to see above or below Hardscrabble Hill to anticipate traffic in either direction. You just have to be very cautious and look ahead for people coming in the opposite direction.

Note: The White Rim Trail and White Rim Road are often confused in reviews. They are actually the same 100 mile trek.

1  Thank RB_Advisor
Reviewed June 19, 2018

if You’re looking for a spectacular look at the canyon, this is the trail. An easy trail about .8 mile one way. Not much rock scrambling. Nice wide slick rock trail. The end offers a stunning view of the canyon. I have height issues and I was completely comfortable with the hike.
Only negative thing about it was signage. This is on the same road as the Grand Overlook trail. The road ends at Grand Overlook but a mile before you get there, there’s a sign for a picnic area and parking lot. This is where you turn in and there isn’t much parking at that. I think the views are better from here than the Grand. Good shoes, water and sun protection are a must.