“Murphy Canyon trail”
Review of Island in the Sky

Island in the Sky
More attraction details
Owner description: This area of Canyonlands has a few hiking trails and views of beautiful canyons.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Murphy Canyon trail (Island in the sky part of the Canyon lands park) Super fun hike, with an amazing climb down/up the canyon. It was built by the Murphy brothers during WW1, and how they found the route beats me. But it has to be one of my favorite hikes to date. I took my 12 yr old sister with me and it was a bit challenging but so worth it in the end. We had a blast. Be sure to bring lots of water, have a good pair of boots and a good camera.

1  Thank MissMolly274

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Island in the sky is a mesa that offers breathtaking views of the canyons some 1000 ft below. Most all of the views of the canyons are easily reached via a shore walk from the parking areas .There are no guard rail to obscure the views so great care must be exercised with children. All of the pullouts offer opportunities for anyone to create stunning photos.

2  Thank BunsenBurner40
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Island in the Sky is fantastic and the easiest part of Canyonlands to access. Some of the hikes are well known & pretty easy, others you have to know or ask about and are a little harder & certainly remote, but it's what makes this park fab.
Mesa Arch is so well known you'll rarely be alone there, even in winter, but it's so worth getting up stupidly early to see it at sunrise.
Green River Overlook is probably the best grand vista in the park, especially at sunset or when a storm is brewing!
Grand View Point is immense, and so hard to take it!!
Buck Canyon is very cool, and very photogenic.
Aztec Butte hike is really cool I thought! One I skipped on a previous visit, but glad to have done last week. Climbing up slickrock is always fun!
Upheavel Dome is pretty ok! Just do the shortest hike to see it.
False Kiva, stunning, even moreso when you arrive & you're the only one there. One of the most spiritual places in any park I've been in. Surrounded by the snowy buttes, it really is amazing.
I spent 7 nights in Moab going between Arches & Island in the Sky, that's how good this place is.

4  Thank irish_captain
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My brief visit to Canyonlands National Park was confined to the “Island in the Sky,” a high mesa that serves as an observation platform. I didn’t get to hike any trail or ride into the backcountry due to time limitations. Instead, I was treated to a grand view of the Canyonlands from my perch in the sky. What I saw was out of this world. It was a bright sunny day in April 2012 and the Canyonlands popped with color – primarily red, orange and blue. I drove all the way to the Grand View Point Overlook with many stops along the way to survey the landscape below. I’ve been to the Grand Canyon and, frankly, Canyonlands is just as impressive. I’ll be back.

3  Thank rusticpress
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Spectacular views any time of day or year, day-long hikes down to short walks, or just a driving tour to viewpoints.