“Sweeping Vistas of the Canyonlands”
Review of Island in the Sky

Island in the Sky
Book In Advance
More Info
$998.99*
and up
7-Day National Parks Tour: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon...
More attraction details
Owner description: This area of Canyonlands has a few hiking trails and views of beautiful canyons.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My brief visit to Canyonlands National Park was confined to the “Island in the Sky,” a high mesa that serves as an observation platform. I didn’t get to hike any trail or ride into the backcountry due to time limitations. Instead, I was treated to a grand view of the Canyonlands from my perch in the sky. What I saw was out of this world. It was a bright sunny day in April 2012 and the Canyonlands popped with color – primarily red, orange and blue. I drove all the way to the Grand View Point Overlook with many stops along the way to survey the landscape below. I’ve been to the Grand Canyon and, frankly, Canyonlands is just as impressive. I’ll be back.

3  Thank rusticpress
There are newer reviews for Island in the Sky

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Spectacular views any time of day or year, day-long hikes down to short walks, or just a driving tour to viewpoints.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Maybe I am impressed more easily than others but the viewpoints from Island in the Sky were some of the best things we saw during our trip to Southeastern Utah. We did have a beautiful 70 degree day, when we were there in early November, which always helps but, personally, I have never seen anything like this. I have to wonder about the person who said this place is "nothing special." The point isn't to see one particular canyon but to be amazed by the sheer numbers of canyons below the viewpoints.

It takes about a 1/2 day to see everything, which includes the 16 mile scenic drive and a short 1/2 mile round trip hike out to Mesa Arch.

We thought the light and best time to go is in the afternoon and evening because the sun will be behind you and the canyons below. This also makes it a great place to watch the sunset. At the last viewpoint, which is known as Grand View, there is an unmarked trail off to the right of the viewpoint area. The Grand View Trail goes for one mile with even better views the farther you go out.

You can also get a similar view of the canyonlands below from Dead Horse Point State Park. We liked the viewpoints from Island in the Sky better because of a Potash lake that you can see off in the distance from the viewpoint at Dead Horse Point State Park.

6  Thank Jason P
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Since we only had one day to visit Canyonlands NP, we chose the Island in the Sky district. We could do a few short hikes, drive to different viewpoints, and enjoy the amazing rock formations up close and in the distance. At the time, I'd never been to any of the other Utah NPs or to the Grand Canyon, so the landscape was so new to me. If I were to go again, having experienced canyons in different places, I'd go to one of the other districts for a more off-the-beaten path trip.

www.nationalparkdiary.com

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Although it's closer to Moab - your probable base camp while staying in the area, Island in the Sky doesn't have enough attraction to consume a full day. The must-sees are Mesa Arch and Green River Overlook - these are the only reasons that I give Island in the Sky a four.(Without them, a three is all I can do.) Make absolutely sure that you see them. Then, go to the Needles District to get a better sense of Canyonlands or get over to Arches and spend a couple of days there.