“2nd Stay at the Needles Outpost”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canyonlands National Park
Canyonlands Needles Outpost
Ogden, Utah
“2nd Stay at the Needles Outpost”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just returned from my second stay at the Outpost. My wife and I enjoyed the beautiful location and facilities. Had some great hikes and then relaxed on the rocks above our campsite.

We'll definitely return in the spring.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
USA
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We called this place to make a reservation without reading all the reviews here. The owner answered the phone and asked the date and confirmed there were tent sites available. She asked how many people, whether it was a family and how many tents and vehicles and the type of vehicle. She took our name and then asked for the ages of the children. When we told her two 17 year olds and a 14 year old, she said, "That's not gonna work for me, I'm not doing that! Go to the BLM!" and hung up on us. We are very glad we escaped being in the clutches of this individual although I almost want to go by there just to see this person.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank DavidOrtiz

Travelers are raving about these Canyonlands National Park hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stopped here to check it out and possibly pick up some beer for camping that night. The woman working there was indeed strange. Initially, she was irritated by our presence and quite rude - but then she warmed up to us and even gave us 2 beers, in addition to the 6 pack we purchased - explaining that we would need 8 beers since there were 4 of us...we could "each have 2". I can't say she wasn't friendly in the end....but we got off to a rough start.

We did not camp at the campground.
The "outpost" offered limited items, but did have the basics, peanut butter, jelly, canned fruit, ice cream pops, cold drinks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank gettysburg01
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My son and I stayed two nights at the Outpost during the Memorial Day weekend and had a great time. Having worked for the Forest Service for many years, I've camped in a lot of campgrounds, but none as nice as this one. As others have written, the showers, restrooms and grounds are in perfect order, yet the atmosphere is laid back and casual. We found the owners to be informative and we had some delightful discussions...
I'm already planning to go back with my wife this fall for some hiking and to enjoy the sunshine..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank R B
pace
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I wrote this below on my last review. But after seeing that so many people are using the review, I wanted to give much more detail for first time visitors to help them to plan and give much more useful information so here it is.
Canyonlands National Park is my favorite spot of all the National Parks in the area. Mostly due to the remoteness and the solitude. Because of Federal budget cuts number of less used National Parks are due to close. This Park is one of them. So check before you go. Because of the dry climate, at night you can see billions of stars and well worth the experience. The entrance to the park is right off of Highway 191. It is well paved and traffic is generally light. The entrance is 30 miles from actual gate to Canyonlands National Park and the Outpost. From the entrance town of Monticello is 10 mile south with about 2000 people in it. It is a nice small town with a small grocery store for supplies and number of gas stations. There are 2 RV parks located there with very reasonable prices. A month stay average $250. Daily average $15. Because there is no grocery store in Conyonlands, this town is your main supply depot. There are few cafés in town. Outpost has some supplies but it's mostly snacks, beer and emergency items. The next largest town is Moab 80 miles north from the entrance. The population of Moab is 5000 people. It is very nice town for food and supplies. There are about 3 RV Parks, Many restaurants and large grocery stores, repair shops, etc. Be sure to eat at Jay's Pasta. It is best place to eat there. Moab is well managed and has very long bike trails outside the city that is well paved. Arches National Park is located few mile north of town which is very popular and most people visit there. Visit to Arches is a must. If for some reason you need items only available from very large store like Wal-Mart, the closest one is in Cortez Colorado which is 60 mile east on Monticello. Now read my first posting and I will expand on the details which will be much more helpful.

"I have been coming to Canyonlands for 30 years. Over that time I had to stay at the outpost number of times. The outpost was purchase the current owner in 98. The sites are rustic and in recent years they have added showers and a bathroom. The showers rarely supply enough hot water so be the first or wait until there are not others using the shower. Because of the dust, I recommend only few days. It get really bad after few days, it’s all over you, the car, camper, ect. It a very scenic sight, but over the years the biggest deterrent is the woman owner. She has always been little strange. She is on edge from reality. Makes fun of guests behind their back and will blow her temper for very little problem. We have avoided her for years but my last trip I noticed she has gotten worse and we will not go back there again.
The sites in the park in on paved ground and is also very nice scenery. I would recommend the site in the park for any stay more than few days. The park is well worth visiting but stay away from the outpost if possible. Not worth the encounter with the crazy owner."

Because the paved campsites in the park is so popular, especially in summer months the outpost serves as a alternative. The view is very nice at the outpost but the view is nice in any location in the area. The outpost camping is rustic and as stated dust is the biggest problem. When it does rain, the mud and the runoff is terrible. Outpost offer firewood for $6 a bundle. And this year she install a Wi-fi. But unfortunately as with other craziness with this lady, she will ration it out. Give you example: you are not allow to use Wi-fi in the store where there is sitting area at the stalls. You have to sit outside on the picnic tables. But after some 20 min. she will shut it off. and claim it is not working. She will even shut it off when she sees you coming. She will shut it off when she close the store at night which don't make sense. There is a gas pump there but it is double the going rate. Because of this lady at the outpost, I will no longer consider the outpost. There is several rusting sites just off of the road few miles from the entrance. The signs are very small and will not see it if you are not looking for it. It is out in the open next to rocks if you need a place to camp. Not many people know about it. But if you want to stay in the park, it's first come first serve. After 11 am, just keep checking the sites as people pull out. It is not hard to get a spot. The campsites are well maintained paved spots with bathrooms. Great thing about these campsites is the many miles of trails are located next to the campsites. The hikes are amazing! In the park there are many nice sites to see. You can Google it for information. There is no cell signals 5 miles past the entrance from 191. So outpost wi-fi is your only chance to use your phone. But for real emergency, there is one very very small spot in the entire Canyonlands that has cell signal which somehow got through. At the parking area of the "Shoe" rock formation, as you drive out toward the exit, about 30 yard you will start to see cell signal. There are few spots next to the road reflectors where you will get 2 to 3 bars! I found this spot over many years and use it to call out. lol. Some campers will make a drive out to Monticello to eat, shop and make calls. I hope this was informative and enjoy the visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
21 Thank john r
Bad Heilbrunn
Reviewed April 19, 2012

In April I was here for the second time- and another great stay at a wonderful place!
I simply don't understand, why other peaple write here about problems with the owners- both are very friedly and helpful.
I think, it depends, how you as a camper behave yourself- if you drive into the campground with 20 mph, causing a lut oft dust
and passing the entrance building without stopping-that would me make angry too.
So- I'll be back here next year, Needles is great for hiking and relaxing, and the outpost is a great place to stay,
Uli (from germany)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ulisch
Boulder, CO
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We spent three nights over spring break. The bathrooms are the cleanest we've ever seen at a campground. The campsite we stayed at was right up against red rocks that made for great climbing and fabulous sunset views and the views of the Canyonlands from here is really amazing. Unlike the park campsite, this one has reservations, so you know you'll have a place to stay at the end of the day. The campsite was perfectly kept up. We were a little worried because of some of the reviews, but the owner was perfectly friendly and we will definitely be going again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hanadarko

Been to Canyonlands Needles Outpost? Share your experiences!