“Nice place for few day, beware of owner.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canyonlands National Park
Canyonlands Needles Outpost
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have been coming to Canyonlands for 30 years. Over that time I had to stay at the outpost number of times. The outpost was purchase the current owner in 98. The sites are rustic and in recent years they have added showers and a bathroom. The showers rarely supply enough hot water so be the first or wait until there are not others using the shower. Because of the dust, I recommend only few days. It get really bad after few days, it’s all over you, the car, camper, ect. It a very scenic sight, but over the years the biggest deterrent is the woman owner. She has always been little strange. She is on edge from reality. Makes fun of guests behind their back and will blow her temper for very little problem. We have avoided her for years but my last trip I noticed she has gotten worse and we will not go back there again.
The sites in the park in on paved ground and is also very nice scenery. I would recommend the site in the park for any stay more than few days. The park is well worth visiting but stay away from the outpost if possible. Not worth the encounter with the crazy owner.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank john r

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Iafter looking at the campsites inside the Needles-park, I decided to prefer the Needles Outpost.
Why? Simply, because it is better there. Clean restrooms, Hot Showers, very nice sites close to the rocks -you can watch the sunset-and you can get cold drinks there .(you'll problably need them after a hiking day in th Needles)
And the Owners-friendly, helpful, giving you good advice which hikes are the best in the Park.
I'll come back.
Uli(Gert) from Germany

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank ulisch
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Because the campsite in the park was full, we tried id by Tracey. Excellent place, excellent people, Places better/bigger than in park and much more view on the desert. Perfect place to drive to park and go back at evening!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Nellekuh
Reviewed June 13, 2011

There have been several reviews focusing on the lady who runs the place. We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon not expecting an open spot in the National Park. While that was indeed the case, we were armed and ready with what the owner may do with us when we pulled up. We stopped at the store first, which was good advise. The lady in question was behind the counter and was generally fun to talk to. You could tell though that she had one foot in reality and the other somewhere else. We left our kids in the van, which also is a smart thing to do. She confessed that she dosent' care much for children.

Anyway, she picked out a spot for us and told us to check it out and come back to pay. Be sure to follow her direstioins closely. It's a good thing that her recommendation was a good one; I don't know how she would react to a suggestion of another space. I went back and paid and all went smoothly. She did charge me $5.00 for showers. After hearing about her, I wasn't going to complain - besides it's a small price to pay to clean yourself up in the Canyonlands desert. We even went back a couple days later for mikeshakes (also $5.00 each). After a full day of hiking, those milkshakes tasted mighty fine!

Bottom line is the place is a good substitute for the National Park, and they have showers to boot. Just be a little carefull about how you talk to the owner. She's okay but is walking a fine line.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank EminDenver
Reviewed May 23, 2011

After much sightseeing in the Needles District of Canyonlands Nat'l Park, my husband and I needed a place to camp out in our RV. The campground inside the park was already full and so was the Needles Outpost but we decided to ask at the Outpost anyway. I am so glad we did, because Tracy was able to accommodate us in a very nice spot along side the picturesque red rocks. She was so attentive and sweet and even gave us some chairs to use for the night. I don't understand how anyone could speak ill about the place or the staff. Yes it's not a resort but camping is not about amenities, it's about outdoor recreation and enjoying nature at its finest. We loved it here, we appreciate everything Tracy did for us and we would come back as well as recommend this place to anyone in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Huntres
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend in late April with another family that had two young teens. The kids had a terrific time climbing the gorgeous red rock monoliths behind our campsite. The owners, Tracy & Gary, were very friendly and helpful with our hiking and driving plans both before and after our arrival. They certainly know the state very well and are happy to spend time helping with travel advice. The sites are clean and very scenic. Great showers...hot water and good pressure (buy a $3 token at the office) There was no problem with our dog walking on the leash. Internet is available near the office area. We would all come back to this campground again. Hiking in the Needles area of Canyonlands was great fun for the adults & teens!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maowLondonCanada
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I wish I had known about this owner before attempting to stay at the campground! My husband and two sons - 8 and 3 went down for Spring Break and tried to get into the Canyonlands campground without any luck. When we stopped at the store of the Needles Outpost, we met Tracy, who was full of energy and talking to another couple who were leaving. She said she had a few open sites and gave us the two numbers to see which we liked, then we could come back and let her know which we selected. So we drove to each site and one had already been occupied. So we took the open campsite she gave us and had just gotten out. Another small car pulled up and turned around (she probably told them the same thing), but within minutes the same car came back with Tracy who jumped out yelling "this is not happening, stop unpacking". She accused us of driving reckless, told us our kids were unruling (in front of our kids who were helping to unload the wood from the truck), and that our dog was running around (given our dog was off the lease, but we had just released her from her kennel and hadn't put the chain on her yet). When we asked if we could apologize for anything we had done, she said "No, I want you off of my property. I don't like you and you're not staying here". She threatened to call the sheriff. We were all just standing there while she was ranting and going on and on. We think she may have been on something. We packed up and left. We stayed at the Indian Creek campsite down the road and had a great time. We didn't have to worry about ranting and raving or obeying obsure rutes. We won't go near this place again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank natbrush

Been to Canyonlands Needles Outpost? Share your experiences!