“Remote and Beautiful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canyonlands National Park
Canyonlands Needles Outpost
Reviewed May 23, 2011

After much sightseeing in the Needles District of Canyonlands Nat'l Park, my husband and I needed a place to camp out in our RV. The campground inside the park was already full and so was the Needles Outpost but we decided to ask at the Outpost anyway. I am so glad we did, because Tracy was able to accommodate us in a very nice spot along side the picturesque red rocks. She was so attentive and sweet and even gave us some chairs to use for the night. I don't understand how anyone could speak ill about the place or the staff. Yes it's not a resort but camping is not about amenities, it's about outdoor recreation and enjoying nature at its finest. We loved it here, we appreciate everything Tracy did for us and we would come back as well as recommend this place to anyone in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Huntres
There are newer reviews for Canyonlands Needles Outpost

Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend in late April with another family that had two young teens. The kids had a terrific time climbing the gorgeous red rock monoliths behind our campsite. The owners, Tracy & Gary, were very friendly and helpful with our hiking and driving plans both before and after our arrival. They certainly know the state very well and are happy to spend time helping with travel advice. The sites are clean and very scenic. Great showers...hot water and good pressure (buy a $3 token at the office) There was no problem with our dog walking on the leash. Internet is available near the office area. We would all come back to this campground again. Hiking in the Needles area of Canyonlands was great fun for the adults & teens!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maowLondonCanada
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I wish I had known about this owner before attempting to stay at the campground! My husband and two sons - 8 and 3 went down for Spring Break and tried to get into the Canyonlands campground without any luck. When we stopped at the store of the Needles Outpost, we met Tracy, who was full of energy and talking to another couple who were leaving. She said she had a few open sites and gave us the two numbers to see which we liked, then we could come back and let her know which we selected. So we drove to each site and one had already been occupied. So we took the open campsite she gave us and had just gotten out. Another small car pulled up and turned around (she probably told them the same thing), but within minutes the same car came back with Tracy who jumped out yelling "this is not happening, stop unpacking". She accused us of driving reckless, told us our kids were unruling (in front of our kids who were helping to unload the wood from the truck), and that our dog was running around (given our dog was off the lease, but we had just released her from her kennel and hadn't put the chain on her yet). When we asked if we could apologize for anything we had done, she said "No, I want you off of my property. I don't like you and you're not staying here". She threatened to call the sheriff. We were all just standing there while she was ranting and going on and on. We think she may have been on something. We packed up and left. We stayed at the Indian Creek campsite down the road and had a great time. We didn't have to worry about ranting and raving or obeying obsure rutes. We won't go near this place again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank natbrush
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Tracy and Gary were very accommodating. We had site 3 under some large rock formations and the evening sky was simply awesome! April had some terrific winds that whipped up the red dust but that is what being in nature is all about. Would definitely return again. Needles NP is a real treasure!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rocky_44_44
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This was a nice campground, located just outside of the Needles section of Canyonlands National Park. It is one of only a few places that let you make reservations for campsites in the Moab area, so it's a great choice if you don't want to get up really early to try to score a site in the Canyonlands National Park campground.

Shower and bathroom facilities were nice. It was mildly irritating to have to pay for a shower ($3) when we were staying there already, but I get that trucking in water involves time and money. It was great to be clean after a few days of camping at another National Park (none of the National Park, National Forest of BLM campgrounds in the areas have showers).

Campsites along the rock were nice (we were at #9). It was nice, but there were biting ants at the end area of the parking space. You had to be a bit careful when parking the car so you didn't end up standing in the ants while rummaging through the car for stuff.

The owners were both really nice (almost overly so, like they were really glad we were there). We reserved two nights but ended up leaving around 3:30 on the second day due to icky weather. I offered to pay for both nights anyway, and the owner wouldn't have it. Only charged me for the one night. Also let me return a shower token I already purchased, yet didn't use and refunded me.

Also the campground is a really pretty place to watch the sunset. I'd definitely come back here if I didn't think I could get a site in the park.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sfgamchick
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We stayed at the Needles Outpost for one night in March of 2011. I had made a reservation over the phone. We arrived late, after the store had closed. Tracy had a reservation slip with my name clearly posted at a beautifil site. The whole property is very clean and professionally managed. Several times I returned to the store (we later camped at the National Park, but staying at the Outpost would have been fine) and every time my experience was excellent. Some others have posted negative experiences. I would say that if you respect the speed limit on the gravel road so you do not sand blast Tracy's guests, treat others as you would treat yourself, your experience will be the same as mine. Excellent.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank chucklegros
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I was passing through canyon lands on an extended journey across America and was exhausted when I entered Needles outpost for lunch with some of my friends. I got a great value on a delicious lunch and was given chips and dip for free. Tracy and her husband ate with us and told great stories from their youth. When we left to re-enter the park we realized we'd forgotten our ticket, Tracy kindly called ahead to the park guard to vouch for us and saved us the cost of re-entry. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank gypsyrosele

Been to Canyonlands Needles Outpost? Share your experiences!