“Great Time”
Review of Canyon Trail Rides

Canyon Trail Rides
More attraction details
Owner description: Come explore Zion National Park on the back of horse or mule. Experience riding through the Virgin River, looking up at the "Court of the Patriarchs", and climbing 700 ft on the Sandbench Trail. Canyon Trail Rides offers a 1 hour ride and a 1/2 day (3 hour) ride. The 1 hour ride is $40.00 per person and each person must be 7 years or older and under 220 lbs. The 1/2 day ride is $80.00 per person and each person must be 10 years or older and under 220 lbs.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked the morning ride for a family of 4 (son age 10 daughter age 8). We hade Taj as our guide. We were very pleased with the customer service and overall experience. It was a beautiful way to explore to the canyon. Just beautiful. Both of our children had no experience on horses and said it was the highlight of their trip. Taj put the two children directly behind him then my husband and I followed behind with the remainder of the adults in our group. He talked to our children continuously always making sure they were doing okay. He also interacted with the group on a personal level adding to the experience. He was very easy going making the trip fun. the 2 hrs flew by. Other children were on the morning ride as well and put with guides directly in front of them just as our children were. Safety was their first priority. We are on a 2 week trip touring all of the canyons and national parks out west and this was a great change of pace from hiking. It added to the adventure. We went in July and were very comfortable in jeans, t-shirts and tank tops . the cooler weather in the canyon was very pleasant. Even though it was pricy, we would definitely recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,485)
All reviews
"awesome experience"
"take pictures"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our family of 5 did the 2 hour trip. They loaded us on the horses and mules in the corral and my 8 yr old who loves horses was a bit nervous but doing ok. My 13 yr old (who has never been on a horse) was terrified. We looked over and the tears were just pouring out and she wanted to get off (nearly in hysterics). We decided that if need be, my husband would get off and stay with her. This was disappointing, esp considering that the ride was a bit of a splurge ($) for us to start. As soon as the cowboys noticed her meltdown, they took right over and set her up so our guide, Hank, was with her and leading her horse. He took right over, made both of my girls feel comfortable, talked my teen 'off the ledge' so to speak. He led her horse and talked/joked with them for at least the first half hour of the trip until she was comfortable to ride on her own. She rode on her own all the way back up, and was even smiling.

The first part of the trip has some switchbacks as you decend into the canyon I'm afraid of heights and was a little nervous, but did okay with it. As others have mentioned, the horses/mules do hug the outer edge of the switchbacks, which is a little unnerving at first. After being on the mule for a while and realizing that she knew what she was doing all on her own, I felt very comfortable, even on the switchbacks. All of the horses/mules seemed to follow along just fine and do what they are supposed to do without needing much input from the riders. We really didn't have to do anything except occasionally nudge them along to keep up, I had to keep mine from snacking on the trail.

The canyon is beautiful, and it was nice to get into the canyon without having to spend the time/energy hiking. It was interesting to decend through the barren areas near the rim, down to the lower parts of the canyon where there are ponderosa pine forests and even little bits of grass/plants. Two hours was plenty for us. It was in the high 90s when we were there, so it was hot in the sun (be sure to lather on the sunscreen before you go, and wear sunglasses). My 8 yr old was getting tired by the end. My butt was a little sore, buy my knees just ached from being at kind of a weird angle. I was really stiff by the end, and am glad we did the shorter ride (maybe if you're used to riding a horse the 4 hr would be okay, but I don't think I would have enjoyed another 2 hrs!).

It was a beautiful trip, and we were really impressed with the guides. Our guide was just great with the kids, stopped and told us interesting tidbits about things along the way, and took photos of each group in front of a group of hoodoos on the way back with our camera, which is one of my best photos from the trip. We were very glad we made the splurge and did the trip!

2  Thank NHmember
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I did this ride with 2 friends as we thought this would be a great way to see all of Bryce from Low to High. Well, I have a horse & ride all the time, but I was not expecting all the cliffs that we rode along! I know the horses and mules ride these trails all the time but sometimes it was just a little to close for comfort. The canyon was beautiful as were the hoodoos but we were sure glad to get back up on the top of the canyon on level ground!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

brilliant day! because we were only staying 2 days we were not able to get booked onto the 1/2 day trip, but the 2 hour trip was excellent. My mule, Mrs B, felt very safe and although she did walk right at the edge of the path I was not scared at all. She did take direction from me, apart from when I asked her to go a little faster, but it was fine. Both my teenagers loved it as did my husband. if you get the chance, go, great experience. our guide was Beau, who was great corny jokes and all.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First let me tell you you'll see signs from Ruby's for Bryce Canyon trail rides. YOU WILL NOT RIDE IN Bryce Canyon. You must go to the Lodge in Bryce Canyon to actually ride down into Bryce amongst the Hoodoos. 2nd tip, GO FOR THE LONGER ride. The Half day ride misses all the best views. The Cowboys are awesome with typical bad cowboy jokes. The horses and mules will walk right on the edge of the trail ( they do that naturally for safety so nothing can come up and get them, so don't try to keep them off the edge they won't listen) which can be unnerving for some if you're afraid of heights. My wife is terrified of heights, but she was able to handle it with the help of some awesome cowboys. They will match you up with a horse or a mule based on your experience. Wife got a short mule due to her fear of heights and lack of experience. She got "Bonnie" who was some character. She wanted no other mules near her and she would kick at and miss at the other mules/horses. Overall an OUTSTANDING experience and worth the money and especially worth the extra $20 for the longer trip. Again the longer trip sees all the best views and hoodoos.

1  Thank Creeper523