“A Must Do in Bryce Canyon”
Review of Canyon Trail Rides

Canyon Trail Rides
More attraction details
Owner description: Come explore Zion National Park on the back of horse or mule. Experience riding through the Virgin River, looking up at the "Court of the Patriarchs", and climbing 700 ft on the Sandbench Trail. Canyon Trail Rides offers a 1 hour ride and a 1/2 day (3 hour) ride. The 1 hour ride is $40.00 per person and each person must be 7 years or older and under 220 lbs. The 1/2 day ride is $80.00 per person and each person must be 10 years or older and under 220 lbs.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was the highlight of our trip, and I can't recommend this outfit highly enough. We took the half-day tour and loved every moment of it. We were all over the canyon before the morning was over. Our horses were well trained and very responsive; our guide Joe was great. I loved that we traveled in a small group.

3  Thank gawildcats
Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"take pictures"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I did a half day ride at Bryce Canyon a couple of weeks ago. It was a pretty good experience overall. The scenery was stunning, the horses and mules were well trained, and we couldn't never made it on our own (at least not in three hours).

Unfortunately, the guides/wranglers/whatever they are called were mediocre at best. To begin with, they were kind of rude. I had to wait for a few minutes for two of the guides while there were chatting about picture taking techniques while I was clearing waiting to register for the ride, standing in front of them like and idiot.

They weren't very personable while helping you to get a horse or throughout the ride. They almost never stopped for the pictures. They hardly ever pointed anything out. In the best case they would say something like "Look behind you, you will see Queen Victoria hoodoo". I had no clue what they were pointing to. They also said something to the effect of "Queen Victoria was one ugly lady", which I thought was pretty low class (even though they were playing roughneck cowboys). I couldn't believe they had the audacity to ask to for a tip for such a "great" customer service.

So while the ride was entertaining, it was not at all educational. It also would've been a lot more enjoyable if the guides didn't sound like drill sergeants but instead got some education on the history and geology of the incredible place that they are showing to the visitors.

Unfortunately, they are the only outfit authorized to ride in the Bryce Canyon, so you have to go with them.

BTW, the same company does rides at Zion, but the guides there are WAY WAY better.

4  Thank alexgav
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

This is must do in Bryce canyon! Ride was reasonably priced and well worth it. We had.two hours of pure enjoyment while riding down into the canyon. If you want to see Bryce canyon from a different perspective@ pure pleasure be sure to take this ride!.cowboys were friendly, helpful and entertaining!

2  Thank julkajulkaa
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Absolutely breathtaking scenery. Weather was warm but wonderful for picture taking. I would visit this Canyon again in the future and recommend others take advantage of the photo ops.

1  Thank Linda S
See more reviews
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was on standby for the trail ride in Bryce Canyon, having only signed up the previous day, but I along with several other standbys got on no problem - I guess it depends on how many steeds they can provide on any day.

After learning how to steer my mule (Netta) and how to get her going in a pinch, we went on a 3 mile saunter down to the bottom of the Canyon and back up, in about 90mins. For the first mile or so, I had myself convinced that I was steering Netta confidently around any obstacles and away from the dropoffs, but it turns out I could have ridden her backwards for all the effect I was having — she knew the way much better than me. I was with a family of 6 from Boston and we were led by a ‘cowboy’ called Carter. I’m not convinced of Carter’s credentials as a cowpoke, but he sure had a good line in patter and quite awful jokes (“we call this a bluepine, know why? cos it’s a pine that ‘blew down’” was about as sophisticated as it got). All good fun though.

1  Thank psychokilla