“Bryce Canyon Full Moon Hike Aug 31, 2012”

Bryce Canyon National Park
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Orlando, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Bryce Canyon Full Moon Hike Aug 31, 2012”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was the reason I extended my stay one more day! We were at the visitor center by 5:55am and were the first in line. The next person to get there arrived about 15 minutes after us. I think most people went to see the sunrise first, then came over to stand in line. There were 2 hikes - one on a less strenuous trail than the other. We picked the Queen's Garden loop hike. We actually hiked the trail during the day so we familiarized ourselves with what to expect. That evening we met Ranger Don at the trail, and after a few formalities and discussions we set off. There was some lightning in the distance, but it didn't seem to be coming our way. Needless to say, with the clouds in the sky, the moon was hidden so it was pretty dark. The thunder and lightning seemed to be getting closer, but we kept going. About 3/4 of the way down, it started pouring rain! And I mean POURING! Thunder, lightning and rain in pitch black darkness on a steep trail makes for a scary adventure! Thank you to those who didn't listen to directions and brought flashlights!! Special thank you to the woman who stayed with us to help lead us out with her flashlight! It was difficult climbing uphill - fast - as the lightning kept getting closer and closer. I don't think I climbed a trail faster than I did that night! Of course, after what seemed to be an eternity of praying that you stay on the trail as you grope your way up and don't fall off the sides of the cliffs, we made it to the top. I did see the couple from Holland the next morning at sunrise at Bryce Point so I know they got out ok. But Katherine from L.A. - hope you got out ok too! The park should have an emergency plan for situations such as this to make sure that all 30 hikers got to safety. There was no one at the top to meet us, and everyone just got in their cars and eventually left. No one was there to account for all of the hikers, so I just hope everyone got out of there ok.
Once to safety, it then became a great adventure instead of a scramble to get out alive!!! Maybe one day I'll be able to experience it for the amazing experience that it truly is meant to be. But I can also say I experienced the dangerous side of it!
If anyone decides to take this hike, pack a small flashilight in your backpack!!

2 Thank keakealani

• Polish first
Connecticut
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Much more than I expected”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Having looked at some of the pictures of Bryce Canyon before our trip, I can't say that I was expecting very much. After all, I had already been to the Grand Canyon, Zion, and Arches national parks. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. The geology and the natural beauty of Bryce Canyon was unlike anything I had ever seen. It exceeded my expectations in every way.

In one day, we toured the park from tip to tip by car, taking advantage of a few relatively short hikes. The best hike was the Navajo Loop Trail, which is located at Sunset Point. It's fairly short at a little over a mile long, but it's pretty much straight down and straight up again. So, I wouldn't recommend it for people who are not accustomed to hiking or exercise. The best part of it is the perspective you gain from looking up at teh hoodoos and other stone formations, trees, etc. All of the roadside observation points look down at the formations. Looking up lends a whole different, almost other-worldly perspective. Truly amazing. I also recommend the trails out near the end of Rainbow Point, which provide some great views of the southern Utah landscape.

The visitor center was informative and staffed by friendly, knowledgeable staff. You can easily spend a full day at this park. However, even if you only have a half day, you can still see most of the park via the roadway and stopping at most of the roadside viewing areas. This park is truly remarkable and a must-see for any tour of southwestern Utah.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Jay405
Nashua, New Hampshire
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing and Different Then Any Other Place”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Absolutely worth the trip a day or two spent at Bryce is a must! Take the half day horse back ride. Hike the Navajo Loop, Peek-a-boo loop and teh Queens Garden or do all three hikes in one giant loop. It will take three hours.

3 Thank brucegabriel
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing park!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The view is unique, and is best enjoyed at sunset and sunrise. We reached late on 9/1 evening and enjoyed the sunset from a high point at the north rim right next to the north campground. There were some dark clouds towards the east and a rainbow above the canyon! We then drove to inspiration point after sunset and saw the moonrise and the stars. It was a full moon so we couldn't see as many stars that night, but the view was still worth it!
Woke up early next morning to catch the sunrise at Bryce Point, and I would highly recommend it. Hiking down through the Navajo loop/Queens trail can be somewhat strenuous while returning, but is a must do for the views it offers. Remember to carry enough water.
I found the food at Ruby's inn Restaurant to be mediocre at best, so I would recommend looking for alternatives.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Sabina G
Walpole, Massachusetts
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Beautiful!!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Our family spent one wonderful day driving and stopping at almost all of the stops along the drive. Each point was different and beautiful. We walked the Navajo loop and really enjoyed getting down into the canyon and looking up. I only wish that we had more time. A must see!

1 Thank JeannineH-M