“Great Location”
Review of Bryce Canyon Lodge

Bryce Canyon Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Bryce Canyon Lodge is ideally placed within the Bryce Canyon National Park and has a fantastic rustic feel to it.

Staff:

Front of house staff were really friendly and helpful and certainly made our stay most enjoyable. I would also like to make mention of the younger staff in the restaurant who were really great, however the others were somewhat cynical in their attitude with us, even when commentary was delivered with a smile.

Location:
You cant get much better placed for visiting the national park.

Facilities:

We originally booked in a cabin, which was very rustic and authentic, if a bit old. Unfortunately we were unable to stay in the cabin due to the fact that we discovered once the lights went out that we had some little fury companions in our room. Now being a national park full of wildlife I can understand that this does happen, it is just unfortunate that it was so late at night as noting could be done about releasing the little beasties back into the wild so we had to move rooms into the Sunset Accommodation block. The Sunset block was once again rustic and in keeping with what we were expecting, once a gain quite old, but pretty well maintained. The beds were comfortable, mainly twin queen beds can be found in the accommodation, and we got a very good nights sleep the second night.

Dining Room:

As mentioned earlier the younger waiter staff were excellent and it is worth mentioning this again (not forgetting the front of house staff). However that is where my accolades for the kitchen really stop.

I am not normally super critical about hotel food however in this instance i was so surprised that aside from a couple of dishes that were very good (soup of the day and quesdillas) the rest was not really up to par in my humble food loving opinion. The first night I ordered a steak which was tough and stringy (i actually left half which is unlike me) the vegetable really seemed like they were from the frozen food counter, not what you would expect from a full priced meal with prices on par to most good restaurants. Breakfast in which i ordered bacon and eggs came out with two eggs (which is fine), breakfast potatoes that once again im sure came from a frozen bag, and only two little strips of streaky bacon which is not what I would expect for $9 and poor fair when considering you are then expecting to go out walking and trekking on this.

Day two i ordered a chicken salad, the salad and plate were frozen cold, no dressing and bland as was my wife's pasta. I actually ate the chicken and left pretty much everything else on the plate (once again unlike me). Breakfast on day three we went for bagels, salmon, and cream cheese ( you cant mess that up) which was good, but a bit pricey at $12 (just as well we had a voucher).

Activities:

there are of course a raft of activities that you can do at the national park. We drove to all to the views and vistas which was along an 18 mile stretch of road with all stops well maintained and truly great views to be had.

My wife went for one of the horse riding activities that is run through the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed herself commenting on how excellent the wranglers (cowboys) that took the trek were and would absolutely recommend it.

General:

In general i would say that the lodge is an excellent option and if they can sort out the food would get five stars from me.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,867)

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was not expecting much as we have stayed in National Park hotels before that were little more than cinder blocks that were very old and showed their age. I was pleasantly surprised as the hotel unit we stayed in had recently been renovated. It was not luxury accomodations by any means, but the unit was far nicer than what I was expecting. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff could not have been more friendly. I would stay here again for the convenience of being in the park.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The rooms are clean and quiet. There were also quality amenities (shampoo, conditioner and soap). What surprised us was that there were no microwaves and fridges - so we wernt able to buy microwavable TV dinners and were at the mercy of Ruby's Inn Western Restaurant. Another review on that somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the cabins adjacent to the main lodge during our April trip. We were among the first to stay in them for the season and the area was extremely quiet. In fact, I don't think that our neighboring cabins were occupied, giving it a bit of a creepy vibe.

The cabin is rustic and simple, but it has all of the basics. It does not have a TV, which we liked. We played board games and had a fantastic time.

We didn't eat at the lodge, instead we grabbed supplies from the camp ground store. I am positive that this was the much more costly option, but it was more fun to had a picnic in our room. We are city-folk, so this was all pretty exciting to us and our version of "roughing it".

The best part of the cabins (and the lodge) is proximity to the hiking trails. We were just a few minutes walking distance from a main entry point. On the morning that we checked out, we woke up early and did a hike, making it back in time to shower and leave the room before eleven. It's all about location!

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it. Bryce Canyon is a must-see, it's stunning.

Please visit my blog for pictures and musings of our trip to Utah.

Room Tip: The cabins are fun, but I would be inclined to stay in the main lodge next time..they are a little c...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Karen H
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Booked a cabin for our trip to Bryce Canyon National Park in September 2012 (2 nights) - you are literally steps from the canyon. We loved the cabin feel & would definitely stay here again. The cabin had a fireplace in it & we used it in the morning as the cabin was quite chilly. The price for a cabin is a little overpriced close to $200 a night, but I guess you pay for staying in the park & being close to the rim & the beauty of the canyon. The sunrise & the sunset are breathtaking & we found ourselves just sitting for hours watching the colors change. We have always stayed in the national parks when visiting them so, if you looking for a 5 star hotel, this might not be the place for you. Overall it was beautiful place just to relax & enjoy nature wonders!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cathys
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here end of October - we wanted to stay somewhere with easy access to the Canyon so we could enjoy sunrise without having to make too early a start. The Lodge was perfect, the cabins are extremely picturesque and felt like you had stepped back in time . Our cabin was a minutes walk from the rim of the canyon and the views were breath-taking any time of day but it was wonderful to share a quiet moment as the sun rose over the Canyon. I noted the previous comment and must say our cabin was dark but not dirty and more than adequate. We ate in the Lodge that evening and the food was really good as well. It is definitely not a cheap option but worth it for the location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cats_Clawson
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I had reservations at Bryce Lodge at the end of October (last year). Maybe it was because it was just a few days before they were closing for the season, but the cabin we reserved was dusty, filthy and basically uninhabitable. Our expectations for the lodge were not high; we've stayed at national park lodges in the past so we know what to expect - rustic no frills accommodations. This cabin was all that but much worse. There was dust everywhere, the room was dark and depressing. It looked like it had not been upgraded in 30 or so years. We didn't stay. I would not have been able to breathe. At least the lodge was gracious in not giving us any trouble about a refund.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountain Ridge Motel and Cabins
Stone Canyon Inn
Stone Canyon Inn
#1 of 5 in Tropic

Been to Bryce Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!