WINNER WONDERLAND

“Ho hum” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boca Chita Key

Boca Chita Key
More attraction details
Owner description: Key in Biscayne National Park offering nature hiking trails.
Maplewood, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Ho hum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Boca Chita key should be renamed Picnic Area Key because that’s all it is. Sure, there is the ocean all around, but I don’t know if I would pay to go out there again just to be around water. A fake lighthouse marks the key. The cruise itself wasn’t bad. The captain and assistants were nice and helpful. The same boat had both snorkelers and sightseers and I think the snorkelers had more fun.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jim O

Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful views!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I did both the lighthouse and snorkel tours. We didn't realize these tours were both on the same boat. The boat drops folks off at the lighthouse and then goes onto the snorkel sight. We almost lost our snorkel tour because the tour boat got in late. We enjoyed both tours but the same boat ride got boring quick. My recommendation is to check in for both tours for the 10 am boat ride, pack a lunch, pickup snorkel gear and pack your swimsuit. Do the lighthouse tour, eat a picnic lunch and chill at the island and change into your swimsuit and get on the 2nd boat tour and go snorkeling.

3 Thank jfosterpersonal
Alamogordo, New Mexico
222 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 293 helpful votes
“A wonderful boat trip and beautiful island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went on the boat tour offered from the Biscayne National Park Visitor Center. There are two boat trips. The boat first goes to Boca Chita Key, drops off the Boca Chita visitors, and then goes out to the snorkeling site for a few hours, then returns to Boca Chita and then back to the Visitor Center. We chose to see Boca Chita. We toured the lighthouse, hiked around the island, then ate our picnic lunch we had brought with us. The picnic grounds are beautiful. There are restrooms and a small beach. The boat captain is outstanding, really informative and funny. There was light wind that day and several of the snorkelers told us on the way back they wished they had seen the island instead, as the snorkeling was not very good.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank ChuckBrooks
Lima, Peru
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful... nature... quiet!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

A great place to relax... get there on a boat... lots of mosquitos when I was there, but worthwhile visiting!!!

Visited August 2011
2 Thank Maria E A
Napa, California
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Last stop of my Southern Fl National Parks Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

I'm so glad that I decided to make this the final stop of my Southern Florida National Park trip. The weather was perfect, it wasn't that crowded, and the views were spectacular! A rain storm came in the day prior so it was not good for any kind of snorkeling. My goal was to take the boat trip out to this island and explore what I could.

The only way to get to Boca Chita Key is by boat. Either your own or by the National Park charter. The morning tour was already booked up with school children so I had to wait for the 1:30 trip out. Unfortunately, when I signed up, they did not have the minimum amount of people (12) signed up so they were not sure if it would go or not. Whew! Luckily, we did get enough people and off we went.

Before we left, we got a briefing of the island and water from a park ranger who came with us. It was approximately a 30 minute ride out. The ride was smooth and the water the most gorgeous turquoise ever! The boat had seating inside and out. There was not a bad seat and you were free to move wherever you wanted during the ride.

The actual island of Boca Chita Key is small but very well maintained. There are restrooms, picnic areas, the lighthouse, and the small beach areas covered with shells. We received a brief overview and history of the island by the park ranger. It was informative and worth it to listen too. Afterwards we were free to explore the rest of the island for about an hour and a half. It was a great day for photography and I loved it!

There are signs stating that "what you bring in, you have to bring out". Unfortunately, there was some trash and litter that people decided to leave there. It wasn't bad or overwhelming but it was there. I thought it was sad that there are people who just have no respect for this beautiful place.

Our boat captain was great. He had many stories and pointed out places and animal life along the way. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and a great way to spend an afternoon.

The Visitor Center in Homestead was also a great place to start. There is a quick 10 minute movie and exhibits. The park rangers were informative and pleasant. There was a great little half mile trail along the water, clean restrooms, and picnic benches everywhere. Next door to the visitor center was a little shop where you can purchase food, drinks, souvenirs, and sign up for the boat ride out to Boca Chita.

A beautiful visitor center and a great island! I highly recommend the boat trip out to Boca Chita Key. Biscayne National Park is awesome!

Visited March 2012