“Picturesque views and wide open spaces”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Badlands National Park
Cedar Pass Campground
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Picturesque views and wide open spaces”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Great spot to camp out for one or two nights.

- Every spot has a shaded picnic table.
- Friendly park staff
- Walking distance to Visitor Center
- Great views
- Clean bathrooms, no showers
- No campfires
- Its hot, come early for the few spots with trees for extra shade
- Cool breezy nights

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank HireChelsea

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed here our second night at Badlands National Park (our first was at the free Sage Creek Campground). We could have happily spend a third night in the park, but we had to move on.

Cost was $16 a night for an unserviced site. Washrooms were flushers and were clean - no showers. The campground set up for most sites is that there is basically a little extra space on the road for you to pull your vehicle off and parallel park to the road. If you have a trailer/motorhome, that is where you sleep. If you have a tent, you can put it up somewhere within your designated site.

This campground is well located to the visitor centre and the hiking trails in the park. The sunrise with the light hitting the badlands was amazing. There was quite a storm during the night (I was awake for all of 5 seconds to take note of it) but there didn't seem to be any damage to anyone's tents or anything in the morning.

I would guess that the campground was 80-90% full. If it is full I'd suggest to carry on to Sage Creek - it's a bit of a drive but without registered sites there you will at least have somewhere to sleep, and it's free.

ktown

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ktowntravllr
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have stayed at this park 3 or 4 times in my life and everytime it is just a one night stop over. The bandlands are incredible but I wouldn't think you would need more than a day here. The campsite does not allow fires and is just open space with picnic tables and shade over the tables. The bandlands are a place everyone should go to, but when I go there I am typically heading out west and and ready to get moving.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian B
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We paid $15 cash to tent here, it's basically inside the park and has a great view of what's known as the Badlands Wall. You can't have campfires (it's a National Park) but every site does have a covered picnic table.

You are within walking distance of the Badlands visitor center and a restaurant, which is nice. The restaurant also has a gift shop which has camping supplies if you need them.

I recommend staying here if you want the experience of "staying in the Badlands" and don't mind going without a shower for the night (they have fairly clean restrooms but no showers).

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jbsmjs430
London
Reviewed November 19, 2010

This place looks weird as you drive up. There are virtually no trees, just prairie grass (therefore no camp fires allowed) and each pitch has a little wooden shelter over the picnic table to keep the sun off. This gives you an idea that it is going to be hot! Also, as we walked up to a couple of the pitches swarms of grasshoppers jumped up in the air. I don't mind bugs but I do object to them sitting on my knees and shoulders while I'm having my dinner! We had a lot of rain one night and the critters hid out under our tent ground sheet so you could hear them jumping about and getting squashed as you walked around - poor things. All this aside it's a wonderful park to visit. The campground ranger programme is great, especially the Night Sky one, where they bring out telescopes for you to look through. It's so clear here you can see the Milky Way with the naked eye, from horizon to horizon. There are no showers, just flush toilets, but easy enough to string up a solar shower on the table canopy. it was incredibly warm here in the day as soon as the sun hit the tent we were sweltering.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank LondonKazza
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Well I settled in to camp on a cool, blustery overcast day but that did not prepare me for the night. I guess I was unprepared for a June night of camping in SD. The campground was nice. Spread out, excellent prairie views on one side, badlands on the other. Great location. I tented, but the cabins looked nice nearby.

I must have picked the wrong night? It was freezing cold at night, but beyond that it was SUPER WINDY. I couldn't sleep. This was my first visit to prairie land and went from comfortable in Sioux falls with shorts to freezing wind in Wall and central SD earlier in the day.
I had blankets and comforters in my tent and an air mattress, but the wind was gusting all night and I thought my tent was going to blow away..lol...it was blowing right down above my head the entire night. We are talking 45mph winds I would guess. It woke me up as the winds gradually came over the hills brushing my tent flaps for a bit and then whipped up to a fever pitch. Gusting and pausing over and over. LIke the Gods were trying to blow me away. I vividly remember though sounds and feelings. I had to go in my car to warm up and escape the noisy and scary wind. I've been through hurricanes and that is how it felt being in a tent. Amazingly it stayed up. I got at most 2 hrs sleep, but was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise drive and photo ops. I learned my lesson and bought a 25F sleeping bag in Cody WY before heading to Yellowstone. Smooth sleeping thereafter.

Hiking on the badlands was neat.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
America's Best Value Inn
Econo Lodge Wall
Econo Lodge Wall
#8 of 11 in Wall

Been to Cedar Pass Campground? Share your experiences!