“Good, but not great”
Review of Badlands Wall

Badlands Wall
More attraction details
Owner description: A ridge that goes through the park, and is the site of incredible rock formations, which are being eroded, and therefore slowly change over time.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited the Badlands National Park from about 1000AM until about 230PM. Maybe it was the direct sunlight on the jagged peaks or whatever, but we failed to see the colors. It all looked like grayish white dirt to us. Maybe had we been there in the early AM or late PM things would have been different.

Not a bad National Park, but far from being interesting. There are many locations (overlooks) that need protective railings. Saw some tourists do some dumb things, e.g., get right on the edge to have their picture taken.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We didn't have as much time to stop and enjoy the area as we would have liked. I'm not kidding you when I say we took 800 pictures. We really did. My husband loved it there. I wish we would have packed a lunch. This area was so beautiful and I think we could have spent the whole day there. When we stopped at the gift shop, I found a few Christmas presents I want to give people and I hope we go back through when my son is older.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

A great place to visit, something everyone must see. We spent 2 hours in the Badlands, but if you did some of the hiking trails you could spend days.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

The South Dakota Badlands are a remarkable geological formation not unlike a very small version of one rim of the Grand Canyon, or like the Simian Mountains in Ethiopia. Small in comparison to these formations, but still very large and impressive in their own right. The drive through the national park is very pretty, and would also make a great bike-ride – I saw lots of cyclists out on the road enjoying themselves, and was pretty jealous. Motorcycling would also be a great way to see the Badlands. And I'm sure there must be great hikes and trail runs through here too - you could spend hours in here!

The Badlands are definitely worth the loop off the Interstate as you head to the Black Hills.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was one of the places I had wanted to see the whole trip. Our advice, fill up the tank before you leave Wall. Get a picnic lunch for the entire car (there’s a Subway in Wall….we had purchased a “disposable” foam cooler when we got to Rapid City, we used this to keep water/food cold for the whole trip) and make sure you have water, there will be no place to provision while you’re in the park. The GF planned a circuitous route: take 240S straight out of Wall. You will run into the State Park Tollbooth where you’ll pay a nominal fee for entry into the entire park. A couple miles in you’ll see a right turn for the Rim Road, take it. Note that this is a gravel road, and will be so for several miles. We had a rental Cadillac ATS (perfect car for off-roading) so no worries on our part. Drive slow and take in the scenery. There will be several designated pull-offs to see the local flora/fauna. Also note that there is zero safety equipment, so watch your kids/pets. Some of the drops are a long way down and the geological morphology, while stunning and inviting, will grind flesh mercilessly (we saw one little boy slide down ~10 feet and do a number on his knee…love the father “walk it off.”) The Rim Road will run straight into Sage Creek Road, heading due west. Follow this to 44E/S. 44 will hook into 377N/E at Interior (talk about a small town). 377 will run into 240 again (north/west) and you’ll head right back to where you started. Took us about 4-5 hours. If you want to spend 8 hours driving around the park then don’t resist the urge to stop every 100 feet. It’s hard to believe you might get jaded by the limitless amounts of stuff to see but, by the end of the day you might be like “oh great, another rock.” This route will take you along the rim of the Badlands, ultimately dropping down into the park and driving through/amongst the impressive outcroppings and formations. There will be several pull-offs that have picnic tables so plan to eat lunch there. Most of the pull-offs have “facilities.” You will not find a standard toilet anywhere but, if the need is urgent you won’t care. Make sure you have a digital camera capable of hundreds of pictures because that’s how many you’re gonna take. You can always delete them later. There are few places on the earth that look like this, especially in the US. If you’re even near Wall make it a point to stop by the Badlands.

1  Thank Curtis S