“Another notch in our hiking belt”
Review of Notch Trail

Notch Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic hiking trail that takes about an hour.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went on this trail without actually knowing what it would entail. It was perhaps a bit more strenuous than we would have agreed to had we made an aware choice. That said, it was a fulfilling hike, with a nice "payoff" vista at the peak. The much-noted ladder is do-able; we enjoyed that there was no one else on the ladder on our way down, allowing the needed time to proceed at our own pace.

All reviews
"loose gravel"
"turn around"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2013

As others have said, if you're bothered by heights or ladders, then you need to really think about whether or not to do this trail. However, when you make it to the end, the view is a great payoff. The trail itself, is not too strenuous. My son enjoyed the fact that he could get off trail and do a bit of extra climbing.

Important reminder -- make sure you take plenty of water. We were there during the heat of the day, and were thankful for the small areas of shade we found, and we drank almost all of the water we had taken, and thought we had more than enough.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We are experienced hikers. Lots of people have mentioned the ladder, but I don't see much about the cliffs past the ladder. The ladder is simple enough--don't look down if heights freak you out. And if heights do freak you out, you should probably skip this trail. The cliffs are marked with signs as dangerous. It is a short part of the trail, but if you are not wearing proper footwear or if the trail is wet, you could be in trouble! When we were heading down, we had to wait for a group of 12 or so (including lots of kids under 10) coming up the ladder. They were super-stressed out and I have to wonder if they even went to the end of the trail. Almost goes without saying that none of them had on proper footwear (there is a sign at the trailhead about footwear!) Others have said the payoff at the end is really good, but I disagree. The scenery along the trail is great; the end of the trail is just ordinary. This is the Badlands; open your eyes--spectacular is all around you! You don't need to put yourself in danger to see it. So if you're not an experienced hiker, stay off this trail. The Door and Window Trails offer lots of nice scenery and opportunities to just explore and enjoy this unique area!

2  Thank ILoveFerns
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I felt so accomplished after climbing up and down the ladder. I was a little afraid at first but it was definitely worth it. The views at the end were awesome and the trail itself is fun--just enough adventure. The only thing I didn't like was that you had to come back the way you came after reaching the end.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I talked my family into taking the Notch Trail....it was a lot of fun. However, if you don't feel comfortable climbing up and DOWN a log ladder, don't do it.

While waiting for my son and husband my daughter and I sat and listened and watched as several people had very difficult times coming down the ladder. I just took my time and didn't look down as I went....I think several people made the mistake of looking!

My son and husband explored off the trail and took a left while the trail went right. The said it was an awesome view and liked it much better than the Notch.....so if you do, when the trail splits...take a left and go up the canyon. I wish I would have gone with them.