“Lots of Fun”

Cumberland, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lots of Fun”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had taken this ride over 20 years ago, and decided it was time to do it again. We took the "Bridges" tour, and it was lots of fun - and informative too. Our guide was very knowledgeable and had a lot of stories about "John D" and also about events on the island during the last century. I agree with a previous reviewer that he did tend to stray a bit into snarky comments about the inefficiency of government bureaucracy, but since his comments weren't the least bit partisan, we gave him a pass. There is nothing like riding the roads built for carriages on a carriage. It was a delightful way to spend a morning!

By the way, if you make a reservation, see if they will let you request an open carriage rather than the higher one with seats across. I've done both, and the open one allows you to interact with all of the members of your party rather than sitting in rows.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank VicarJoan

Rochester, Minnesota
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Lovely woods and AMAZING bridges!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I took the carriage tour called "Mr. Rockefeller's Bridges". It was a lovely ride, mostly in the shade, welcome on the hot day. I learned a lot about John D. Rockefeller and his generosity in building the carriage roads and bridges. You don't get to pick your guide, of course, and unfortunately I ended up with one who was tiresomely anti-government, but when he wasn't making those comments, he was sharing very good and interesting information, so I'm still glad I spent the money to do this tour.

1 Thank JanetE105
Ira, VT
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Day Mountain Summit ride, in the pouring rain and loved every minute!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We made reservations for the 4th of July for the afternoon ride to the summit of Day Mountain. The day was overcast but not raining when the ride started but by the time we were halfway to the summit it started and proceeded to downpour. Regardless of the rain, the guide was extremely friendly and informative in a conversational manner which had us all enjoying our time despite the conditions. While it would have been much much better had we actually been able to see something while on the summit it was well worth the adventure!

2 Thank chetteroo
Greensboro, NC
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Neat”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Really cool to ride on those old carriage roads, very historic! Very friendly guide.

Boston, Massachusetts
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Great introduction to the carriage roads of Acadia”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had a few hours to spare my final morning at Acadia, so i decided to take a carriage tour of the Bridges of Acadia. This was a 2-hr tour with a knowledgeable and pleasant guide (Katie). This tour takes you past several of the bridges that Rockefeller designed and includes carriage roads outside of the National Park and on private land where they are limited to hikers and horses/carriages (no bikes permitted outside the park). The tour cost $24.50 ($10 for children 6-12, $7 for children 2-5) and advance reservations are accepted. I walked in and made mine the day before. I was in a carriage that had the seat benches along the sides, facing the middle, so it was at times uncomfortable to crane my neck sideways and face forward. Some of the carriages seemed to have multiple rows of benches facing forward. if you sit on the left side, front, the driver doesn't obstruct your view.

The 2-hr Rockefeller Bridges tour runs twice a day (10am & 2:15pm); 1-hr Day Mountain tours are at 9am & 1pm ($18/$9/$5 for adult/6-12/2-5). There's also a ride to the Jordan Pond House for tea and popover or a 2-hr ride to the summit of Day Mountain.

I had a beautiful clear day to enjoy the tour. The tours take place even in the rain.

Visited June 2012