“We are ages 50 + 51 and had NO PROBLEM with this hike!”

Gorham Mountain Trail
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“We are ages 50 + 51 and had NO PROBLEM with this hike!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Can I tell you how much we LOVE Acadia? Gorham Mountain Trail is a DO NOT MISS THIS ONE! We are in OK shape, not overweight - well a few extra pounds on. Work out a couple times a week - walking and lifting - nothing too strenous. We had no problem hiking this trail. We went at a slow and easy pace. it is well marked and has nice views along the way. Once you get to what you think is the top - GORGEOUS. One side you are looking at mountains and the other side is ocean and Frenchmen's Bay and even Thunder Hole. Can't be better. It only took about 40 minutes to get to the top.

I have read that the first summit you arrive at is NOT the top. You should travel about 100 feet more to the north and provides different views. We opted not to do this due to my husband's back. He has some bad discs and just wanted to get back down. He just didn't want to push it. (So see? Even a person with not the greatest back completed this!) But I still don't feel like I missed anything at all by not going further.

I wore a newer pair of sneakers and did not have any trouble. A couple of spots you are going over large rocks at a tilt, and my sneakers hung on just fine.

Please do not miss this in your trip to Acadia. It's a nice hike and LOVELY views!!!

Visited June 2012

dc
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“great views and relatively easy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had originally planned to hike Precipice and/or the Beehive, but it appeared it was going to rain on the day I planned to hike and I was concerned about climbing on wet iron rungs, so I decided to do Gorham Mountain, which was great.

I took the bus to Thunder Hole, walked a short distance down the Ocean Trail to the trailhead, and then headed up the mountain. The whole hike is mostly on rocks, not a dirt trail. It took less than an hour to get to the top, and because a good chunk of the top of the mountain is bald, you get great reviews all around. And the summit and area near it is large enough that even if there a lot of others up top, you can find an area to yourself to sit in relative quiet. The only downside is that there were a lot of gnats at the top, but they mostly left me alone.

On the way down (generally heading north on the descent), the trail intersects with the Beehive, which I decided to also do. One word of caution - if you do this, you ascend the Beehive on the relatively easy side (no terribly too steep cliffs) but then go down the side with larger drops and iron rungs. I made it down ok, but some may prefer to climb up the rungs and then go down the southern side. Although if you have limited time, this is a great way to combine two great hikes.

Visited August 2012
Sturbridge, MA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice trail for all ages”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Took our young teens on this relatively easy hike. Great views and a nice walk through the woods at the end (near Sand Beach)

Arlington, Virginia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Nice hike with great summit views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We did this hike as part of a longer loop hike we strung together using three different trails. In the morning, we started at Sand Beach and did the Great Head Trail loop first and ended back at Sand Beach. We crossed Ocean Drive to pick up Gorham Mountain Trail, and hiked the length to connect to the Ocean Path trail on the other side. Then, we picked up the Ocean Path Trail down to Otter Point and then returned back to Sand Beach along the Ocean Path trail. Total distance was under 7miles with beautiful views. This was not a difficult hike for families who like to hike.

Visited July 2012
NJ
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Wonderful & family friendly summit hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We parked along the Park Loop Road, by Sand Beach. We walked down to see the beach, then back up and walked along the Ocean Path to the Gorham Mt parking lot and followed the trail up from there, then back down toward Sand Beach and the Park Loop Road again (past the Beehive and seeing those climbers on the edge!) making for a nice 3-4 mile (?) loop trail. Lots of places off the Ocean Path to head out on the rocks and see the beautiful water -- and the views from the top of Gorham Mt was fantastic.

Visited July 2012