“Picnic area is a gem!”
Review of Seawall Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Acadia National Park
Seawall Campground
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Hope many people will read this review and not just those contemplating camping at Seawall because this note is about the picnic area just across the road from the campground. Right up front let me say I've never camped at Seawall - we always reserve a site at Blackwoods - but in my opinion the picnic grounds are one of the scenic, little-known gems of the park. The lucky people who stay in the campground can make the 10-minute walk to the ocean's shore whenever they want and can take in different vistas of sea and sky at all different times of day and tide. But if you want to make the journey to the southwestern part of Mount Desert Island, make it at least half a day long so you can take in the town of Southwest Harbor, the lighthouse at Bass Harbor, and end the day at Seawall picnic area. It's great for sunset. But here's the real clue about what to do when you get there. The short access road divides with the left hand turn going to a parking loop and the bathrooms. The right hand drive goes towards an area that does not see as much use as most of the parking is right on the cobbled rise above the water. We were lucky and chose the right hand drive, went all the way to the end and got the last picnic table above the beach. This area is slightly elevated above the cobbled beach and includes shelves of rock, twisted pines, patches of grassy knoll and a view to the west where the sun will set over rock pools and a headland. Here we spent about three hours, watching the tide recede and the sun go down in golds and peaches above a distant line of pine trees. We ate a picnic supper, read books, and I drew and wrote in my trip journal. I'm so glad we discovered this spot - it was our 3rd and last journey to Acadia - what a wonderful way to say goodbye to the park.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Gryfudd

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I loved this campground, especially since I had stayed in blackwoods the two nights before. This campground was way more low key and the staff was very friendly. The facilities were clean, though there are still no showers but there are some down the road for 2 minutes for 1 dollar! Also if you stay here you should eat at Grumpys in Southwest Harbor - it's seriously awesome, and since you are only paying 14/night for Seawall, you can spring for the breakfast!

We stayed in the D section which I think is furthest from the Ocean but I could still hear it at night. A drive around this half of the island is nice and the Acadia Mountain Trail is pretty just bring water!

I definitely would stay here again!! <3

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank HoosierKiwi
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This campground is located approx 30 mins away from Bar Harbor and the most popular Acadia attractions (Cadillac Mountain, Thunder Hole, Sandy Beach). It is probably not the place to stay if you want to be closer to these places. Across the street is a nice area along the beach for walking and just down the street is a cute lighthouse.

The bathrooms were extremely clean. There are not showers, however. A minute down the road there is a shop that has bathrooms (4 quarters for two minutes).

The people are the campground are very quiet. People are asleep by 9-10 pm and awake between 7 and 8. Though one of the nights we were there, one group was very noisy but they quieted down after someone spoke with them.

Some of these sites are better than others, meaning some are closer to the road than others. We fit two tents at our site: one two-person tent and one four-person tent. Each site has a picnic table and a fire pit.

There is a bus that leaves the site and travels to other Acadia sites as well as Bar Harbor. It is not the fastest way to get around. It takes 1 hour 40 minutes on this bus to get to Bar Harbor, much slower than simply driving (30 mins).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank elim102
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 7 days. The campsites are relatively private and most tent sites require parking in lot and walking several hundred feet to site. Wheelbarrows are provided for toting gear. There are no showers and sea wall store nearby has showers (and the best blueberry pie I've ever had ...then they have fresh fish chowder). The restroom facilities are plentiful and clean. This area of Acadia national park was quieter than Bar Harbor side if you're looking for peace. The nearby town of southwest harbor is very nice and has restaurants and other stores. The price was right for us and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. If you're a hiker, kayaker or biker this place is a dream come true!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tukibodie
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A stunningly beautiful campground. Very friendly park rangers & volunteers, and very considerate fellow campers who abided by the park rules of 10 pm - 8 am quiet hours. I think this was the first time we've ever been in a campground in which everyone was respectful of everyone else's privacy and need for rest. As you slept, you could hear the waves. It's a 5 minute walk to a glorious picnic site on the ocean. Some tips:

1. Some sites are far superior to others. There were several I was glad not to have (on the road or very close to each other). Ours was remote and private. If you are in decent health I'd strongly recommend the walk-to tent sites. Our site was D81, on the edge of the forest. I would strongly recommend looking at their maps and seeing what suits you. Some people would prefer a site they can drive to--look at the map; some sites are far more private and secluded than others. The "A" sites on the edge of the forest are also superior.
2. Do not rely on last minute walk-ins if you are coming in-season. We went in August and the waiting started at 6:30 am; sites were full by 9 am or so. I'd definitely make reservations unless I was coming off season.
3. There is a lovely local restaurant less than a mile away that services the homeless or unemployed during the winter, and during tourist season serves warm popovers and coffee for free--you donate the money toward the establishment. Great idea, and strongly recommended.
4. Buy lobsters & seafood from the local pounds and cook them at your campfire. REmember to bring a lobster pot. Yum. Lobsters were only $3.50/pound when we went.
5. This campground is more remote than Blackwood but we liked it because of that. There are many close by hikes, such as Long Pond. No drive to any hike took more than a half hour or so; it really was no big deal because the whole island is so lovely. After hiking, we went to Bar Harbor nearly every afternoon to eat yummy blueberry pie at this great bakery; it was easy to combine this with the morning hikes. Then we'd go back to our campsite, relax, then cook a decadent dinner of seafood and/or steak. After dinner we'd walk to the ocean and watch the sunset. Every night!

Cons:
1. The only con I can think of is that some sites are much better than others - some are amazing, and others are pretty poor - and there are few that are really undesirable as they are so close to a slamming restroom door or the road. I'd definitely check the map before making reservations. We did and got a fabulous, fabulous site (best I've ever had).
2. I guess its relative remoteness could be a con but it was far less of a con than a 'pro.' There is a nearby grocery store where we got our picnic stuff, veggies, steak, etc. There are many road site places to purchase wood for campfires. Showers are about a mile away: $1.00 for 2 minutes. It was fine.

All in all, magical.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank momtipsfortraveling
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My experience at this campground was great! the bathrooms were clean and our site was just big enough to pitch a 4-person dome.

While this area is farther away from the tourist-filled bar harbor and most of the Acadia trails, it is difficult to get to those areas with a car (approximately 30 min. drive to bar harbor).

The surrounding restaurants are a tad bit expensive (12.99 for fish and chips), so stock up on groceries before you arrive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank CCHIQ
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This campground is a clean and friendly atmosphere and a bit on the quiet side. It did surprise me to see most campers in bed by 10:00 PM. Most nights only us a few other sites would have a fire going after 10:00. I found this to be a bit strange, but I'm from Michigan so maybe it's just that way in Maine. The sites in C loop (where we stayed) are only separated by a few trees here and there so don't expect much privacy. This is to be expected on RV sites though. The tent sites definitely have more privacy and are deeper in the woods. Even though it was the 4th of July, there were always sites available here and there during the 7 days we stayed there. I suggest taking a look around at the sites before setting up camp and see if they will assign one that you choose. I posted a pic of our site C-24. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#6 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Seawall Campground? Share your experiences!