“Nice Campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Acadia National Park
Blackwoods Campground
Muncie, Indiana
“Nice Campground”
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Just back from Acadia National Park, stayed at Blackwoods Campground. Other reviews mentioned that there was lack of privacy and campsites were close together. We didn't find this to be the case at all. Yes, there were pleanty of neighbors but they were not that close and there are nice stands of trees between each one. I can only assume that there reviews are by people used to backwoods camping. We even had a young group of people camping in the next campsite of and accross from each other and never heard them after quiet time started. Restrooms were nice and clean, showere were out of park but very close and nice. The campground is very centeraly located to the rest of park. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank teetee830

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at the campground June 18th - June 22nd and loved it. Very conviently located to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. Restrooms were very clean and the showers that were right outside the camp were VERY clean and easy to use. We tent camped 2 tents one for the kids and one for us - still had plenty of room at camp. Firewood did seem to be an issue - there was alot for sale around the campground - the campground did have a spot for free firewood - but none ever seemed available. So if you can bring your own do. There is a nice grocery store in Bar Harbor for anything you forgot. If you get a chance we did the sunset kayak tour right of Bar harbor down by pier - was prefect. Also my husband did a fishing trip out of Soutwest Harbor - had a great time - wonderful people.

Probably the best part of the trip was cell phones don't work in the park - so our 2 teenagers had to talk to us and play games - was a great family bonding time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Imissthesun
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We camped at Blackwoods for two nights in September. Because we were after labor day, it was pretty empty. However, if the campground had been full, we would have been a little bit crowded by adjacent sites. The bathrooms were clean, lighted at night, and there were sinks with running water for washing dishes. No showers, but they were just down the road.

If I were going back, though I would recommend staying at Mt. Desert Island campground instead. We went through it to get to a boat launch for a kayak tour, and the sites there were MUCH prettier, some on the water. The private campground would have been a little more expensive than the public Blackwoods sites, but worth it. The Mt Desert Island sites were lovely, much bigger, more private, and had wooden patios to pitch your tent on (so no rocks in your back!!).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank labslave
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our 5 day stay at Blackwoods. It was convenient to all park activities and to Bar Harbor. The campground is rustic and quiet with beautiful pine trees. The restrooms have running water. There are no electric hook ups or showers, but there is a shower facility just outside of the campgrounds entrance that was very user friendly. There is a short trail from the campgrounds to beautiful rocky cliffs overlooking the ocean- a wonderful place just to sit and soak in the atmosphere. Two things to note, though - it is probably unrealistic to plan on riding your bike from the camp to the carriage trails unless you are an advanced rider and DO NOT get the camp sites next to the group sites. There was a large group there and we could hear them at times even though we were three lanes away. Those poor people right next to them! The grounds were full - August is the busy busy season. Next time we will go in May or September.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kpenny
Reviewed August 23, 2009

This campground was perfectly fine, but we will probably check out nearby private campgrounds on our next trip to Acadia. The pros: beautiful setting, convenient location in the heart of the park, clean restrooms. The cons: sites are VERY close together, showers & laundry are a short drive away (and laundry is minimal), no dishwashing sink (but of course a tap and a basket/drain for dumping gray water). Mt. Desert Island is small enough that it really doesn't matter if you are in the park or not -- in fact, much of the time it's not clear (unless you're looking at a map) whether you're in or out of the park per se. If we go back to Acadia -- which I hope we will, it is GORGEOUS! -- I will look for something with showers & laundry closer to the camp sites and with larger sites. We were on the outermost ring of loop A, so we actually had more privacy than 90% of the sites because we only had neighbors on 3 sides, not 4. I prefer to wash my camp dishes at a sink -- not b/c I want to wash under running water, but to avoid two roundtrips carrying two basins of water. I'm not lazy, just harried when camping with a 2-yr-old and 5-yr-old! So that's something else I would look for in an alternative.

The nearby showers were clean and, as 99 other reviewers have noted, crazy overpriced. That's OK -- my 12 minute shower (for me plus two kids) was worth $4.50. We almost made it in 8 minutes, but one kid had a little shampoo left when the water shut off. I only saw one washer & dryer at the shower place. If there had been more available I would have laundered the peed-on car-seat cover, but instead I rinsed it in the bathroom. I'm sure that violated campground rules. The next day I did a load in Bar Harbor -- the laundromat is right next to the grocery store so it was pretty convenient.

Speaking of violating campground rules... I never saw a ranger past the registration building, so everything was very much on the honor system. This tends to work out fine -- 99% of campers are courteous and respectful. But the site next to us did have 3 tents on it, when the limit is 2. I did NOT complain because my two small children were undoubtedly louder than that group (although I certainly could hear every word of their conversation after we were in our sleeping bags and my loudmouths had passed out).

In general, Blackwoods was very quiet and I did not see any RV's or trailers -- maybe because the campground doesn't have hookups? So that might keep me at Blackwoods over a private location.

By the way, we had intermittent AT&T coverage at our tent site. I learned this when my phone started buzzing to tell me that a text message, several hours old, had been retrieved! I even made one call (appalling, I know, but I wanted to reserve spots on a ranger-guided cruise!) from the tent before losing the signal. In general the phone worked in Bar Harbor and SW Harbor, but was mostly unreliable everywhere else on Mt. Desert Island. There was no 3G service anywhere.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer S
Vienna, VA
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I booked two nights at Blackwoods Campground. I didn't know what to expect because it was my first time camping. The site was nice. Each one has a picnic table and a fire pit. The bathrooms are close to the campsite and are clean. The sites are fairly private with trees in between them. It was nice being close to everything in the park too.
The only negative is that the entire campsite is gravel so make sure to bring an air mattress or a cot. I just got foam mattress pads and it definitely felt like we were sleeping on a gravel driveway.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ninabruja06
Emmaus, PA
Reviewed August 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Blackwoods Campground in Acadia National Park and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Although the campground was large, it never got too noisey for us. The campground is extremely busy (we went through four different neighbors in the adjoining site), so if you plan on staying here, make reservations well in advance. The sites are nice, spacious, easy to access (we have a small camper) and clean. The bathrooms are conveniently located and are VERY clean. There are no showers in the campground, but there are some right down the road. Bring a couple of rolls of quarters, though, they are expensive. It is also worthwhile to mention that there are some clothes dryers at this shower-house. Our jackets got wet in a rainstorm, and it was nice to be able to dry them.

We liked the convenient location of the campground, although you must go through the town of Bar Harbor to get there. We arrived on the Fourth of July Weekend, so the crowds were crazy. You can also get there via the park loop road, but that requires a map. Since the campground is not directly on the Park Loop Road you need to know where to exit. Although this adds a bit of mileage on to the trip it may be a better choice for people with larger RV's. One turn in Bar Harbor looked impossible for a big rig to make.

Groceries were available in the town of Bar Harbor, although we preferred to avoid the craziness of BH, and bought our groceries on the Mainland. There is an IGA and a Walmart in Trenton, and a (great) Shaw's up in Ellsworth. Shaws could probably provide a better selection of items for those with special dietary needs (and their Lobster Salad is excellent!). We also bought some cute, affordable souvenirs at Reny's, near Shaws.

There is a worthwhile "hike" from the campground that takes you down over the park loop road, and to some cliffs with lovely views. It is an easy walk and, since it is on roads of some sort for its entireity can be managed by small children, or people who require canes or crutches. I cannot remember if you would be able to manage it in a wheelchair, but the rangers could tell you.

We loved staying at Blackwoods and would do it again. They welcome pets, for those who travel with them. There is not a playground for children, but some of the kids there had bikes and had brought plenty of things to do from home. The sites are large enough, but I would not call them private, so if you are looking for a romantic getaway, be prepared for close neighbors.

We did drive through Acadia's other campground, Seawall, and were glad we had stayed at Blackwoods. The other campground does not accept reservations and really was not as attractive as BW. It looked run down.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,622 reviews
Kimball Terrace Inn
Kimball Terrace Inn
#2 of 2 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Blackwoods Campground? Share your experiences!