“Lots of campsites but feels secluded.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Acadia National Park
Blackwoods Campground
Hamden, CT
“Lots of campsites but feels secluded.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

There are lots of campsites here but we still felt like we had a lot of privacy. The bathrooms are fine. There aren't any showers inside the campground, but just outside the entrance to the campground is a place where you can pay to shower (very nice and clean). There are strict rules about quiet hours and what is and isn't allowed in the campground (bikes are OK, but scooters are not). We appreciate the quiet hours rules since we had younger children with us. We didn't attend any ranger-led campfire programs, but evidently they do run them. The shuttle that runs through Acadia has a stop right in the campground which is pretty convenient and it takes about 15-20 minutes to drive to Bar Harbor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jennifer P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights at this campground. The spot was chosen by the staff upon our arrival at the entrance of the campground. They at least listened to our request that we get a spot near a trail that would take us to the coastal viewing spot. Our camp spot was clean and flat. The fire pit was spotless with no leftover ash and trash from the previous occupants. There were enough trees between camp spots to give us some privacy. Restrooms were well maintained and not too far of a walk. We didn't take advantage of the free shuttle bus that stopped at the campground check in but appeared to be on a regular schedule. Firewood and most of any last minute items were located close by but it's much easier to check you're list and make sure you brought any items you might need. For such a busy place, I thought that it was a nice place a not noisy after dark. Worth visiting again in my book.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank J R
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Awesome place to stay. An entirely different world with clean bathroom, enough of water and friendly Rangers, Staff, always nearby.
I was at the campground from 11th till the 14th of September, 2013 with my family. We placed our tent right, bought some firewood and collected some wet wood from nearby the campground hand a ton of fun lighting fire and working out with our campfire cooking. Surprisingly everything turned out to be the best of the best food we prepared. The second day was bit bothering with light drizzle so we ate lunch outside. At around 11:00 AM just before leaving, I realized my daughter had somehow drained my car batteries and it was not ready to start. Internet friendly people or cell phone callers "this is not the right place to visit", I wanted to be away from messages and calls so for me this was the best place, but what to do with the car in no-ignition state? I went to the rangers office at the campground entrance and just mentioned about my car batteries drained out problem. One of the rangers asked me to go back to my camp and he will be there to help me. It was just a matter of minutes the officer was at my campsite, helped me to start the car with a jump starter and we were out withing minutes of diagnosing the battery drain out problem. I offered the ranger some gift, but he declined and said he is happy to see us happy in his campground, Awesome. We loved the park and our first visit to Acadia has become memorable. The neighbors were nice (having much colorful tents) and we often exchanged hello. I will certainly visit Acadia and stay at Blackwoods, hopefully next time for a greater number of days. Thank you Officers, Rangers and Staff (Blackwood Campground at Acadia National Park) ...... from New Haven, CT

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Bhupesh M
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Quiet and peaceful. Cadillac south ridge trail leaves straight from the campground so you can literally spend the day hiking and easily hop a shuttle to get back to blackwoods in the evening. If you're not a big hiker you can still use the shuttle from the campgrounds to get where you need to. The whole park is set up to accommodate adventures and Blackwoods is too convenient and inexpensive not to take advantage of.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Rubbertramp2
Coventry, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The campground itself was nice, the bathrooms very clean, We stayed in area B can not say this was a quiet area cars driving by not obeying the 15mph speed limit until 1 in the morning. Left after 1 night will go back but this time will stay in A area.and give t another try. Told the rangers about how unsatisfiedwe were with the noise but was told nothing they can do about the traffic noise. Will also try Seawall campground.

Room Tip: Makesure to make a reservation to get in the area you want.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PJ S
greendale, indiana
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I recently spent two nights at Blackwoods Campground. My friends and I checked in just after noon and were assigned site A-7, which was near a path to the ocean. Site A-7 was also conveniently located near restrooms and fresh water.
The campground was nearly full, but my area was occupied by tents and it was very quiet.
The sites are very close together, but there is enough foliage between them to provide a sense of privacy. With the exception of one site in my area, all of the sites were well shaded. Site A-7 was a bit uneven, but there was a level area for tents.
My friends and I were pretty much on the go for our entire visit, so we didn't explore around the campground at all.
One thing we did explore was the ocean view. It was about a five minute walk from our campsite and the view was great. The overlook has a couple primitive benches where you can sit and enjoy the ocean view. I made a point to go to the overlook to watch a sunrise one morning and I was very surprised to find that I was the only person in a very full campground who managed this feat! Maybe everyone went to the top of Cadillac Mountain instead, but this little overlook was a lot easier to reach at such an early hour. I enjoyed my solitude and a splendid sunrise.
The campground does not have showers, as a lot of people have noted already. The showers that are available just outside the campground, heading toward Bar Harbor, are open 24 hours and they are clean. I never saw a huge crowd at them, but there may be peak use times. There was a dryer on the porch outside of the shower rooms. Just across the street, there are bundles of firewood for $3/each. Payment for the wood is by the honor system.
One of my friends, with long hair, kept running out of time in the shower, which provides you 4 minutes of heated bliss for $2.00. I suggest that you turn on the heat lamp in your shower area, and set it to go off just before your shower time is up. At least you might get rinsed off and not need to plunk in more $$ to complete something that may take just a few more seconds and not four more minutes.
We enjoyed Blackwoods Campground very much, even though we were rained on during most of our stay. This is a great, cost effective way to visit and experience Acadia National Park. I would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I liked site A-7, but the surrounding sites looked even better! I'm not sure if there is an are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank msbuster
Minnesota
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Wow, this place made us happy. To say it's pretty is an understatement. Not a bad spot in the place. The first morning I woke up and looked out it made me smile all over again.
Aside from a few generators, it was peaceful. We couldn't get over the lack of mosquitoes. We used a screen tent but sat outside a lot, too. You can walk to the ocean which is a very high overlook. Be careful! It's steep and the rocks can be slippery. But catch a sunrise while there. Bring your bug spray to the overlook - that's where they all are!
Two odd things - we arrived about 11:30am. The office said they were not able to check-in until noon(literally said computer system wouldn't allow it). Told us to go eat lunch and come back. We did some things at the dump station and watched as people lined up before 12 and they began to get Checked in before 12! My husband walked over and she told him he'd have to go back out to highway, turn around, and get back in line. Another worker took pity, though, and checked us in without all that ridiculousness.
I do not know if what she said is true or not. The simple fact that they began to check in people before 12 seems to say she treated us differently.
Each night we were there the campground said it was full, yet many sites sat empty. I don't know why this is, but what a waste!
We also checked out sea wall campground. It is also very popular and by chance there were also a lot of people lined up around 12 to check in. Makes me think there may be some rule but perhaps it's not as set in stone as the other lady tried to tell us.
We thought black woods was much more scenic. Seawall is a different setting.

• Stayed August 2013
Bar Harbor Inn
Bar Harbor Inn
#7 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Best Western Acadia Park Inn

Been to Blackwoods Campground? Share your experiences!