“Most Fun I've Ever Had Hiking”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Beehive Trail

Beehive Trail
Northampton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Most Fun I've Ever Had Hiking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

When my family and I first got out of the car at Acadia, Beehive was in full view. We couldn't believe how much the hikers were "climbing" as opposed to hiking. My cousin had been a park ranger at Acadia and said that it was a hike that would "get your heart pounding". What I thought he meant by this was that it was a steep incline and would be physically exhausting, however, I soon realized that he meant it would be quite frightening - especially if you're at all afraid of heights. You are relatively exposed during the climb and have quite a few verticals. I would recommend going early in the day when less visitors are on the trail and it is a little cooler; the rock and iron bars will start getting hot as the day progresses. My brother and I found this hike absolutely exhilarating. My parents were happy they did it, however, they vowed that they will never do a hike like it again.

2 Thank sunshinebr1t

Paris, France
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Seriously?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

The day that we hiked Gorham Trail, we stopped and watched climbers on Beehive. You people are CRAZY! They were going straight up on metal rungs in the rock (and it was busy-looked like there was no turning around). I'm a novice hiker so it was definitely not for me. My husband planned on climbing it the back way which is more gradual and leads to the same gorgeous views of the ocean.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Sylvie07
Hillsborough, New Jersey
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Awesome, but scary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Lots of great rock scrambling and great views, but not for the faint of heart when it comes to heights. Not sure I would do it again, knowing how narrow some of the paths were, with the sharp dropoff right next to the path. Glad I did it once though. Loved climbing the vertical rocks though! I did not take my kids with me on this one, and I'm glad I didn't, although we did have a 6 year old in the group that went up the trail, and he did fine. I think I would've been too nervous with my own kids. You have to know whether your kids will listen well or be safety conscious, and whether they will be too scared to go on.

Chicago, Illinois
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Beware:This is a climb not a hike!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was so pumped to do this hike as we were in Yosemite last year and climbed half dome-that was my motivation to do this. Although I have been skydiving and want to do it again, I realized quickly that i was frightened of heights when I am close to the edge of a cliff. My fear got in the way of me completing this trail as the little ladder we had to cross over, rock climbing, and ladder climbing became too intense for me. I wish I would have done a more moderate hike prior to jumping into the Beehive-that would have helped give me the confidence to do this- I think! Make sure you have appropriate hiking/climbing shoes as well as climbing gloves. Do not try this if it is raining or wet out. We did manage to take a few photos before heading back down!

4 Thank Joy W
New York, New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Strenuous for sure, with lots of vertical climbs but it's short. So you don't have to work too hard for too long. It's exposed, so you're in the sun, hanging off of a cliff. Really fun. End at the bowl, put your feet in the water to cool off but be ware of leeches!