“Recently renovated room & pleasant staff”

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Recently renovated room & pleasant staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stayed for one night in one of their newly renovated rooms - very clean and decent size. I found the very large bed okay but my wife didn't find it comfortable. Reception staff very friendly. Corridors smell funny (new carpet?) and still resembles a motel. Breakfast only okay - sausage sour. The Lawns restaurant at night is excellent (see separate revue). Worth trying

1 Thank david s
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighed to hear you had a lovely stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kindest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a Spa break at this lovely hotel.
My daughter and I had a fantastic time. Friendly staff worked really hard to make our stay so enjoyable.
Food, spa, service and room were excellent. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a relaxing and refreshing stay in lovely surroundings. A visit to Park gate is a must, with stunning views across the estuary to Flintshire. Try the Tea room and an ice cream from the famous ice cream parlour.
I hope to return very soon.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Suziele
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for awarding us a fabulous 5 stars!!

It was lovely to have met you both and I hope to welcome you again very soon.

Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Had an overnight here, spa is great, friendly and down to earth therapists. Enjoyed mud rasul verymuch but when i go again I'd book it for after swim and jacuzzi etc, not before as recommended, because i think it's be nice to slather on lotion after, as it's quite drying as well as smoothing.
Room was lovely, even better due to an issue with wifi we were moved to a boutique exec room with a few nice extras without any fuss by the excellent and friendly staff. Very pleased about this, top customer service.
Ordered room service, again such helpful staff, asked for a meat free version of a charcuterie and cheese board and chef offered a couple of options and resulting food was fantastic, really impressed by the quality of every ingredient. Same at breakfast.
Hope to go back soon!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lynzick
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and award us an amazing 5 Stars!!

I am delighed to hear that you both had a lovely time with us. I hope to welcome you both again very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

stayed Sunday night on a DBB for £129. Drove up and agree it does not look much but the hotel was great. Busy parking but we found a place next to an Aston Martin!!Have to say the staff in all the areas were fantastic. The dinner was great and great atmosphere. The spa was just a 1 minute walk around the corner and great facilities. Try the outside jacuzzi and the ice cave. You can walk out of the sauna into what is a walk in freezer but top tip, keep your pool shoes on!! free papers in the spa area to chill out. Dinner deal was £24.50 allowance and ok if you have the basic but the main alternative menu was £10 starter, £28 mains and £10 dessert but to be honest, sounded a fantastic menu. We went with a set menu and was good but only criticism was a little cool. Service was great. I had the cheese for dessert and had a trolley of about 20 to choose from. The great thing was that the server knew them all. wine pricey at a minimum of about £26 a bottle. We had an early check in and no bother at all for the staff. Room good with all you would expect. I would have given the hotel a full five stars but cool dinner, hair in my wifes breakfast and handle missing from shower screen and sealant around bath done by a child. Would visit again though and can only stress what great staff they have.

Room Tip: left the bathroom towel rail on and it made loads of noise in the night. Got up nad turned it off at...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john982
Thank you for taking the time to review Thornton Hall.

I am delighed to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I recently visited Thornton Hall Spa for a overnight stay with my boyfriend. The building and gardens were absolutely beautiful. Staff were very friendly. We went and used the spa and all the facilities which I could not fault apart from the "Ice cave" which was not a good experience if you get claustrophobic like me. You have to go in and lock the door!

The spa facilities is next door which isn't too much of a problem but the "Lodge" spa is a few minutes walk away through the car park. There is a buggy which is laid on to take you to and from there. This didn't seem very safe though as there was no seat belts on the buggy. I had a back and shoulder massage was very professional and relaxing.

We were upgraded to an executive suite which had a beautiful garden view. They didn't say why they upgraded us but we weren't complaining! The room was spotless and modern. We even had a T.V built in to the wall over the shower which was a really cool effect!

We were booked in to eat in the hotel restaurant as we had a package which gave us £35pp food allowance, when we looked at the menu there was nothing on there which I liked as I am a bit fussy and there wasn't much variety to choose from which was a bit disappointing. We had noticed the room service menu had dishes on which I liked so we decided to get room service. When we called reception to ask if we could use our £35pp allowance on room service they said yes. They were extremely helpful and the food was delivered within fifteen minutes - excellent service.

The breakfast the next morning was the best breakfast I have ever had in a hotel! There was such a large variety to choose from. Fried breakfast, fresh fruit, cereal, bread, teas, coffees, fresh fruit juice etc. The tables were laid out beautifully and there was a magnificent view of the gardens.

I will most certainly be staying here again in the near future and will be recommending this place to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stoat123
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighed to hear that you both had a wonderful time with us.

We all hope to welcome you again very soon.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

When we arrived the reception staff were very friendly and efficient. My wife and I had booked a two night mid week stay. The room we booked had a small patio facing the lovely gardens, we enjoyed a drink enjoying the lovely view. We ate in the lounge bar, the service to start with was slow, but once we got served they did improve. I had the venison burger (excellent) and a side order of the best onion rings I have ever had. My wife had Cesar salad which she too enjoyed.
On the second day we got up early, took advantage of the superb breakfast, I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, my wife had the full English, it was all freshly made and again couldn't fault it. We then tried the spa, very good, the outdoor hot tubs were very relaxing, the pool was not too busy, all very clean. We will return again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor garden room
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Thank you for taking the time to write a view and for awarding Thornton Hall a fabulous 5 stars!!!

Good to hear that you both enjoyed your 2 night break wish us and we all hope to see you again very soon.

Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Upon arrival I felt initial disappointment as it doesn't look like much from the car park - but as soon as we stepped inside I was impressed. The public areas were plush and our executive room was perfect - even had a balcony. No doubt about it the Spa is fantastic, you get a robe and slippers upon arrival, theres an outdoor hot tub, lovely pool and facilities, and the staff are all friendly and pleasant. We spent hours in the spa and the time went so quickly. The highlight of our stay was the Rasul Experience - it was really fun and I recommend it if your a couple. Enjoyed a late lunch in the bistro which is within the Spa area, and the wife insisted on watching the late kick off game on the big screen (who said romance is dead?). We really enjoyed our day - just a shame the Snow Cave wasn't working. Now for the dinner - apparently the Lawns Restaurant has 3 AA Rosettes for fine dining and is a beautifully styled room - unfortunately we didn't get to see inside or taste the food, after arriving for dinner we were shown to the bar area and ordered a bottle of wine. We then waited, and waited and waited. 80 minutes later we were still waiting - I discreetly asked to speak to the duty manager as I wanted him to know we had been waiting 80 minutes for dinner. The duty manager handled the situation really badly, he started making excuses about maybe other guests were not having starters and that's why they were eating before us. I couldn't believe the duty manager was this person. We paid a lot of money to stay at this hotel and had just sat waiting for 80 minutes! I went down to reception to see if there was a more senior member of staff to talk to (but there wasn't), however the duty manager starts chasing me explaining the chef if ready for me now. At this stage my wife and I weren't in the mood for a 'romantic meal' so decided to return to our room - declining the offer of a free drink as an apology for our wait as that wasn't the purpose of me wanting to complain. At this stage a staff member called Matthew was exceptional in trying to resolve the issue - I can not speak highly enough of this young man and I think the hotel should recognise his efforts - he has a big future ahead of him. Room 331 there is obviously some faulty guttering outside and I was awoken and kept awake by loud dripping outside - this meant I actually slept in and missed breakfast in the morning (which finished at 10 am). I've raised these points on Trip Advisor so the hotel can address them - but please don't let it put you off staying at this hotel - if dinner had run smoothly and there was no faulty gutting I would have given this hotel an amazing review. In anticipation of the hotel making further excuses in their reply to me I'd just like to add I've eaten at the Criterion Restaurant and on the River Bateaux in London and I worked in Harrods for two years as a youngster, and a hotel in Austria so I know a little bit about fine dining, customer service and how to handle a complaint - the duty manager at this hotel does not! Would be nice if the hotel welcomes us back in the future to finally enjoy dinner in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chowny
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We welcome all feedback both negative and positive as we feel it is an invaluable rescource to us. I would like to reassure you that we always strive to meet and exceed our guest's expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton Hough
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Port Sunlight
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,435 reviews

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!