“Luxury in the heart of a sleepy village”

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Heswall
“Luxury in the heart of a sleepy village”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I chose to celebrate our silver wedding here as we knew it would be 'special' and we were not disappointed. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and our room overlooked the gardens and gazebo: with its own balcony and sitting area. The bed was very comfortable and roomy and there were tea and coffee making facilities available. To top it all, I could soak in the bath whilst watching the in-built television in the bathroom! What luxury! In the restaurant for dinner
we decided to try the taster menu which consisted of about 10 fine dining courses and, whilst not cheap, it was definitely a memorable experience! The staff were extremely attentive and knowledgeable and were able to explain each delicious course to us as it appeared. The dining room is comfortable and cosy at the same time, with traditional dark wood panelling and a large fireplace. Breakfast the following morning was also served here and there was plenty of choice. I was happy with the fruit and cereal on offer but my husband went for the full English which was fab!
During our stay we visited the spa and found the facilities very clean and comfortable. As well as the pool, hot tubs, sauna and steam room there is a gym with friendly instructors to meet and greet you. In fact all the staff that we came across in the health club were extremely kind and helpful. After our swim we had a coffee and read the (free) papers in The Times Bistro. In fact the sun came out so we could sit outside in the sunshine and were lucky enough to see a wedding taking place in the distant gazebo!
All in all we had a lovely time and would like to thank all the staff for making our anniversary into such a memorable occasion. We shall return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
1 Thank Honeybun21
GeoffD, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighed to hear that you had an amazing time celebrating your Silver Wedding Anniversary with us. I will most certainly pass on your lovely comments to all concerned.
I look forward to welcoming you again to Thornton Hall.
Kindest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed there for one night to attend Asian Wedding.
Beautiful venue, easy to find, Very friendly service.
Been all over the world, never seen TV in shower, Amazing
Room was very clean, there was a balcony and then massive garden.
Full english Breakfast

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
I am so glad to hear you had a lovely time with us.
I very much hope to welcome you again to Thornton Hall.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Their website is very deceiving, the pictures don't look too bad and you would think Thornton Hall would live up to the 4 stars it has. . . .

Upon arrival everything seemed ok, quick check in and we were pointed in the direction of our room. We opened the door and were gobsmacked at the room we were given, we paid over £190 for a one night bed & breakfast so you would certainly expect your moneys worth. The carpet looked old and cheap, the decor was outdated and it seemed as if we were staying in a lower end room at a premier inn.

We enquired at reception to whether this was the correct room to which they were suprised we would even question them and told us nobody else has complained about the room standard.

To take the pain away we decided it was best to drink ourselves into some sort of happiness. The bar was average looking and we had to request the bartender to clean all the crumbs off our table. We decided we would try the highly rated restaraunt which was actually very good although the food didn't sit very well in the cheap/ uncomfortable bed.

The next day we went down for breakfast and were taken to our table, we went into a seperate room to select our food. Almost everything had ran out and took quite sometime for somebody to refill the breakfast area. We went back to our table only to find another couple had been seated there...... we could not wait to leave this awful mismanaged joke of a hotel.

Checking out was predictably shambolic, overcharging us by £200! It was nearly all wrong and extra meals were added to the bill for some reason, no apologies or effort to rectify our terrible stay.

I would never come here again, it is undoubtedly the worst hotel i have ever stayed in, there is no value for money at all!

5 Thank reviewerSmanc
GeoffD, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am sorry to hear your stay with us was dispointing. We welcome all feedback both negative and positive, it is an invaluable resource to us. We aim to provide the highest possible levels of quality and service throughout Thornton Hall.
Merseyside
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Having stayed for the first time at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, on a Sunday Dinner Bed and Breakfast special, it was fantastic, the staff were excellent, food very good but small portions, very fine dining. A good choice for breakfast, continental or cooked. Our room was spotless and over looked the Wedding Gazebo, we could sit out on our balcony and enjoy the view. Would come again.

Room Tip: room 221 or 324 excellent
2 Thank LISALAUNDRY
GeoffD, General Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I am delighed to here you enjoyed your recent stay.
We very much appreciate all feedback and I will pass on your lovely comments to all relevant departments.
Thank you once again.
Belfast
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is what I'd consider a reasonable 3 star airport hotel- not a 4 star luxury spa.

The room is adequate, but nothing special, you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on next door. Room service took 3 hours, 3 phonecalls and a trip to reception. The breakfast was good, but they never replaced the empty water bottle, and the food is in a separate room so there wasn't anyone you could ask. The spa was basic, but reasonable.

If I'd been paying £60 a night, I could overlook all this, but it came to £252 for 2 nights B&B- way overpriced for what it is.... and I overheard wedding guests saying that the food was terrible!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kjskathryn
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I've stayed at and visited Thornton Hall Hotel and Spa several times now, and I've always had a very enjoyable time there. The rooms in the main house are obviously the nicer ones (and therefore the more expensive), but they are very large, nicely decorated and have fantastic views over the fields. The rooms in the extension part are still beautiful decorated, I think they've recently been refurbished? They are also large in size, tea and coffee making facilities are in the rooms, TV (and occasionally a TV in the bath!), large wardrobes, nice views over the gardens and fields again and either a little patio terrace or balcony. I've seen a few comments about the beds being uncomfortable, but I simply cannot understand this - in my opinion the beds are absolutely fantastic! King size and such comfortable mattresses and pillows, it guarantees a sound night's sleep! Plus, I'm very glad now that getting mobile reception there doesn't seem to be so difficult anymore, and there is free wifi all around the hotel and in the rooms which works very quickly.

The food I've eaten there during my stays has been impeccable, and if you so wish there is a 24 hour bar available for residents. Staff are super friendly and more than happy to help, always acting very professionally (but you can still have a laugh with them too!).

I have also had a couple of treatments at the spa which were bought for me as gifts - after my first one which was bought for my birthday I insisted on another as a Christmas present! Both times I had a hot stone back, neck and shoulder massage, where I was given a choice of oils to be used so that I could pick the one I preferred, I had all the knots and tensions worked out, the therapists on both occasions were extremely knowledgable, chatty but knowing when to stop talking to make it 'relaxing', etc. There is also a fantastic relaxation room you can use after your treatment for as long as you want, and you get a complimentary tea or coffee in the café downstairs on the pool/fitness floor included with your treatment (and I can also recommend the waffles in that café, so delicious!)

Finally, I recently attended a charity quiz night put on at the hotel in the very large function suite they have there (Torintone Suite?). Again, the staff were friendly and professional, we didn't have to wait long for a drink despite there being a few hundred people there, the BBQ food which they provided was cooked to perfection, and the entire night ran incredibly smoothly.

Overall, I've been very pleased with every visit I've made to Thornton Hall, and I hope to return again before Christmas (preferably for a massage, should my better half ever come across this review...!)

1 Thank 151Durplus
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Myself and my husband got married at Thornton Hall on 4th August 2013 and can not recommend it enough!!

I had been to a few weddings at Thornton Hall and it was definitely my number one choice as my dream venue when I came to planning my own! The staff are fabulous and really help with the planning of the day, their skills and expertise made the entire process so much easier and less stressful than I imagined it would have been.

All of our guests continuously told us how beautiful the venue was and the gardens got so many compliments- we were lucky the weather was mainly dry thankfully apart from a few showers in the late afternoon!

We can't wait to come back this weekend to attend my cousins wedding in the same suite! :-)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much to writing a review.
I am delighted to hear that your special day was everything you had ever imagined it to be.
I will certainly pass on your encouraging comments to all concerned.
Once again Thank you very much and I hope to welcome you both back again soon.
Kind regards
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,470 reviews

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!