“Good hotel but not perfect.”

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but not perfect.”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Stayed overnight with my wife as we were picking up our son from Liverpool University. There are some really good things about this hotel but it's not perfect. We stayed because the hotel was offering 50% off dinner, bed and breakfast. However at £149 for an executive room I thought this was fair value but nothing more.The staff were great and we had one of the garden balcony rooms. The accommotion block looks a bit utilitarian and a bit dated but the room itself was fine and was spotlessly clean. The decor was great and there was plenty of space. It was disappointing that the bath took ages to fill and not having wireless Internet access was a pity. The bed was good but the pillows were pretty unforgiving and I would take my own if I went again. The facilities though were good and very comfortable.

Having arrived quite late we soon went for dinner. This was a really good experience. The staff were absolutely excellent and the food didn't disappoint. It was interesting and imaginative and beautifully presented. The wine list was pretty pricey but we had a delicious house New Zealand Sauvignon although at £26 it wasn't brilliant value. The restaurant is very attractive and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We had a pretty good sleep although the heating system noise was a bit irritating. However otherwise our room was very quiet. In the morning we headed for the Spa and Gym and this was great with a good sized pool and some great hot tubs in the garden. Once again the staff were really helpful and courteous. After a good swim we headed for breakfast which was really good. We both opted for the smoked haddock which was beautifully cooked and well served - a really good breakfast.

This hotel is fine with a good restaurant and great Spa. It wasn't quite good enough to ensure that we wouldn't think of trying other hotels on the Wirral next time we fancy making a night of it when we do the University run. However that doesn't mean that we wouldn't come back - because we might!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wrecktor
GeoffD, General Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and in particular dinner and breakfast. I appreciate all comments and genuinely strive to exceed expectations. My team are always on hand if you have comments or requests during your stay.

Incidentally we are just in the process of upgrading our wireless, installing the latest BT technology to ensure a high speed free wireless service for all guests throughout the hotel, this will be complete over the next 2 weeks.

I hope we will welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Reviewed March 21, 2012

After struggling to find something to do an some where to go for my girlfriends birthday a friend recommended some spa treatments and perhaps an overnight stay at Thorton Hall. Being male I wasn't exactly too sure on what it was that I wanted so I called up the Spa and found them very helpfull in talking me through the packages available to cater for the time i was there, between them and the hotel I found the service before I had even arrived to be excellent when dealing with someone as clueless as myself.

I wanted to keep the hole weekend a surprise from my girlfriend and just informed her that we would be going for an evening meal not an overnight stay and spa treatments the next day. I had arranged with the deputy manager James, who I had dealt on the phone, to move the bags from my car to my room whilst we had dinner. The quality of the food was excellent and offered a wide choice to cater for my fussy girlfriend and all at a reasonable price. There was a large variety of wine from many different regions which was a bit over my head so stuck to bottle of rosé and champagne.

After dinner we headed to our room where the staff had moved our bags in and lay rose bottles around the room. For me this just made the hole experiance that much more amazing. The next day we left the room and spent the day at the spa. I spent most the day around the gym and in the outside Jacuzi whilst my girlfriend had her spa treatments.

I'd like to thank thornton hall and all the staff for making this one of the most memorial weekends Id ever had. Definitely recomed it to anyway that wanted a romantic weekend away or just looking to treat someone with a spa package. The staff are extremely helpfull and all ways looking to make you stay that much more special and unique.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank SebRooney
I am delighted you both enjoyed your stay with us so much, and hope your girlfriend was suitably impressed with your surprise!

Hope to see you both again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed over night for the westlife tribute night. arrived early afternoon and made use of the spa facilities. No complaints at all about this hotel. Very clean hotel, spa & swimming pool. Excellent staff, very attentive. Breakfast area was busy, but the food was nice. The tribute night was very good and the meal served was good.a few hen parties in that got louder as the night went on,,,didnt bother us,,but some older parties may find it a bit much.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed our Showtime Event and that you made a short break of it using the Spa facilities during the day.

Hope to see you at a future event!
Wirral
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed overnight on the occasion of my daughters wedding was upgraded on our room because of a booking problem !, ended up in a really nice room ! overlooking the back garden !, food was really good, hotel amazingly clean, staff very nice, wedding went so smoothly would recommend to anyone thinking about having their wedding there !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments, I'm delighted your daughters wedding was enjoyed so much and thank you for the recommendation.
Leeds
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Having stayed here in August 2010 and finding myself back in the area last week, I decided to visit the restaurant for dinner with a friend. The second visit was a dissapointment.

The food was as excellent as before with some interesting ideas and lot's of local food on the menu. I had the scallops (which were huge) and the local chicken, which was sweet and succulent. The big dissapointment came with the lack of attention to detail in the service.

Last time I was here the staff were attentive, efficient and they smiled. My wine galss was never less than half full. On this occasion though it was a very different story. I had to ask twice for the wine list, My plates were covered in thumb prints (a real bug bear of mine) and we were left waiting far too long between courses. But most dissapointing of all was the cheese. Last time the restaurant manager knew everything about the cheeses and took us through them in some detail, even showing us the best order to eat them. This time it was plonked on the plate and that was it. The managment of this establishment realy should take a look at the service, quickly.

In general the hotel felt empty of the "character" it had the last time I visited.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank wesleythewatch
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your visit this time as much as in the past, we do strive to exceed expectations and I really appreciate the feedback. We have just appointed a new Restaurant Manager with a fantastic Michelin Starred background to ensure the service and embience of Lawns Restaurant really does exceed all expectations.

I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime soon, when I'm sure you will see the standards you expect have returned.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Spent one night here, work related so did not have the opportunity to use all the facilities this Spa hotel can offer. Good size room and amenities. Trouser presser, good size bath with TV, Tea making facility. Breakfast Mon-Fri: 0700-0930, Sat-Sun: 0800-1000. Happy to come back again to this country side hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, hopefully when you return you will have time to use our extensive Spa facilities.

Look forward to welcoming you back!
Bow, Washington
Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I grew up in the area and were doing a nostalgic visit...then realized we were no longer residents and needed a place to stay. Thornton Hall Hotel was a find. in every way. firstly, our well appointed room was very, very reasonable. the bathroom was five star. Included was use of the first class spa...including huge exercise rooms and a gorgeous Roman style pool. Despite a full parking lot and many day users the dpa was spacious, immaculate and in perfect shape. The main dining room and bar menus looked amazing but we opted for the light dinner at the spa and were not disappointed. Breakfast in the totally gorgeous dining room was absolutely perfect...at a level you would expect for a hotel many times that price. the front desk staff, specially the Polish woman were nothing short of exceptional. she spent time answering questions about the facility and herself and was totally captivating. Only drawback was the poor level of wi fi connection. We will be back!

Stayed February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I'm really pleased to hear you both enjoyed your time with us so much, particularly dinner in Times Brasserie and Breakfast in Lawns Restaurant the next day.

I'm sorry to hear our wifi connection was slow, we are actually in the process of upgrading it to the latest BT technology, this will be comleted over the next 2 weeks.

If you should make another trip to The Wirral I would be delighted to welcome you both back to Thornton Hall.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton Hough
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!