Stayed overnight with my wife as we were picking up our son from Liverpool University. There are some really good things about this hotel but it's not perfect. We stayed because the hotel was offering 50% off dinner, bed and breakfast. However at £149 for an executive room I thought this was fair value but nothing more.The staff were great and we had one of the garden balcony rooms. The accommotion block looks a bit utilitarian and a bit dated but the room itself was fine and was spotlessly clean. The decor was great and there was plenty of space. It was disappointing that the bath took ages to fill and not having wireless Internet access was a pity. The bed was good but the pillows were pretty unforgiving and I would take my own if I went again. The facilities though were good and very comfortable.
Having arrived quite late we soon went for dinner. This was a really good experience. The staff were absolutely excellent and the food didn't disappoint. It was interesting and imaginative and beautifully presented. The wine list was pretty pricey but we had a delicious house New Zealand Sauvignon although at £26 it wasn't brilliant value. The restaurant is very attractive and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
We had a pretty good sleep although the heating system noise was a bit irritating. However otherwise our room was very quiet. In the morning we headed for the Spa and Gym and this was great with a good sized pool and some great hot tubs in the garden. Once again the staff were really helpful and courteous. After a good swim we headed for breakfast which was really good. We both opted for the smoked haddock which was beautifully cooked and well served - a really good breakfast.
This hotel is fine with a good restaurant and great Spa. It wasn't quite good enough to ensure that we wouldn't think of trying other hotels on the Wirral next time we fancy making a night of it when we do the University run. However that doesn't mean that we wouldn't come back - because we might!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxurious Spa Resort - 20 minutes from Liverpool and Chester. Free high speed Wifi throughout the hotel, including all bedrooms, Smart TV's now in every bedroom offering a huge selection of channels and interactive services including Sky Sports 1,2 & 3, free car parking. Nestled in the Wirral Countryside and conveniently located for Manchester, Merseyside & North Wales. Our luxurious four star hotel offers state of the art conference facilities for up to 650 delegates & event management along with one of the finest Spas in the North West, offering an amazing array of spa treatments and spa packages to suit everyone, both Holistic and Clinical treatments. 20 metre pool, outdoor Hydro Spa Pools, Gym, Sauna, Steam Room, Tranquility Suite and New Rasul Room, makeup styling Suite and additional dual treatment room. Plus Golf Breaks playing at Heswall Golf Club one of the finest courses in the region. Delighted to be Headquarter hotel to the R&A Open Golf Championship 2014. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thornton Hall Hotel And Spa
- Thornton Hall Hotel Thornton Hough
- Hotel Thornton Hall
- Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa Thornton Hough, Wirral