“Overnight Stay !”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Wirral
“Overnight Stay !”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed overnight on the occasion of my daughters wedding was upgraded on our room because of a booking problem !, ended up in a really nice room ! overlooking the back garden !, food was really good, hotel amazingly clean, staff very nice, wedding went so smoothly would recommend to anyone thinking about having their wedding there !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
GeoffD, General Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I'm delighted your daughters wedding was enjoyed so much and thank you for the recommendation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Leeds
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Having stayed here in August 2010 and finding myself back in the area last week, I decided to visit the restaurant for dinner with a friend. The second visit was a dissapointment.

The food was as excellent as before with some interesting ideas and lot's of local food on the menu. I had the scallops (which were huge) and the local chicken, which was sweet and succulent. The big dissapointment came with the lack of attention to detail in the service.

Last time I was here the staff were attentive, efficient and they smiled. My wine galss was never less than half full. On this occasion though it was a very different story. I had to ask twice for the wine list, My plates were covered in thumb prints (a real bug bear of mine) and we were left waiting far too long between courses. But most dissapointing of all was the cheese. Last time the restaurant manager knew everything about the cheeses and took us through them in some detail, even showing us the best order to eat them. This time it was plonked on the plate and that was it. The managment of this establishment realy should take a look at the service, quickly.

In general the hotel felt empty of the "character" it had the last time I visited.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank wesleythewatch
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your visit this time as much as in the past, we do strive to exceed expectations and I really appreciate the feedback. We have just appointed a new Restaurant Manager with a fantastic Michelin Starred background to ensure the service and embience of Lawns Restaurant really does exceed all expectations.

I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime soon, when I'm sure you will see the standards you expect have returned.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Spent one night here, work related so did not have the opportunity to use all the facilities this Spa hotel can offer. Good size room and amenities. Trouser presser, good size bath with TV, Tea making facility. Breakfast Mon-Fri: 0700-0930, Sat-Sun: 0800-1000. Happy to come back again to this country side hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, hopefully when you return you will have time to use our extensive Spa facilities.

Look forward to welcoming you back!
Bow, Washington
Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I grew up in the area and were doing a nostalgic visit...then realized we were no longer residents and needed a place to stay. Thornton Hall Hotel was a find. in every way. firstly, our well appointed room was very, very reasonable. the bathroom was five star. Included was use of the first class spa...including huge exercise rooms and a gorgeous Roman style pool. Despite a full parking lot and many day users the dpa was spacious, immaculate and in perfect shape. The main dining room and bar menus looked amazing but we opted for the light dinner at the spa and were not disappointed. Breakfast in the totally gorgeous dining room was absolutely perfect...at a level you would expect for a hotel many times that price. the front desk staff, specially the Polish woman were nothing short of exceptional. she spent time answering questions about the facility and herself and was totally captivating. Only drawback was the poor level of wi fi connection. We will be back!

Stayed February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I'm really pleased to hear you both enjoyed your time with us so much, particularly dinner in Times Brasserie and Breakfast in Lawns Restaurant the next day.

I'm sorry to hear our wifi connection was slow, we are actually in the process of upgrading it to the latest BT technology, this will be comleted over the next 2 weeks.

If you should make another trip to The Wirral I would be delighted to welcome you both back to Thornton Hall.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Some previous reviewers talk about a Premier Lodge being preferable. Not true, what Premier Lodge has a flat screen tv in the shower? There's also some nonsense about cleanliness.I had 2 rooms for my party and both were spotless. But..........paper thin walls in the extension "Garden View" rooms is true. The noisy neighbour on skype at midnight was soon quitened with a phone call to reception. Even after he'd moderated it was still tough to doze off. Others report noise from the garden, not experienced by us. But I can see how it would happen. The really great thing I experienced was 1st class service in the restaurant. I had a party of 12 for dinner & met the young front of house team before the guests arrived. They responded postively to all demands. When the meal was under way I couldn't fault their pace or discreet monitoring of what was needed on the table before I could spot it.The "posh a la carte menu" wasn't executed well by the kitchen. Over ambitious for the talent that was trying to deliver. But, the value was ok as the DBB rate of around £100 was a steal. So the moral of the story is - look in their website for a special offer bundled price. I can't vouch for the spa as I never made it that far. Too much indulgence on the well priced Argentinian Malbec the night before. Ample parking, chocolate box village and superb pub within walking distance. Just take your earplugs in case the gardens in full swing or the neighbours on skype.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night in Feburary this year to celebrate my Mum's wedding.. We checked in in the afternoon easily, and were quickly ushered to the Spa where we had previously booked spa treatments. The treatments were very relaxing, the only fault was we did not recieve the robes we had been promised, although we now realise this was our fault as we had not asked at reception for them. One employee who we all feel was fantastic worked at the spa reception desk, Jackie. Nothing we could ask was too much trouble, and she helped us in any way possible.
The evening meal at the hotel was outstanding, and the complimentary courses and drinks recieved made the meal so special.
One problem however was that none of us managed to get much sleep as the hotel rooms were boiling.
We are already planning to book further occassions at this hotel as the staff and design of the hotel are brilliant. Well worth a visit!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lucy S
Cheshire
Reviewed March 5, 2012

A home run again! Realised in the morning that we had a free night, so booked a table at The Lawns and a Garden Room for a night's stay. Ten out of ten. A delicious dinner in the The Lawns with well trained and informative staff, followed by a cheeky drink in the bar. Great nights sleep followed by a morning a soak in the new outdoor jacuzzi. So nice, we were even glad to see the kids!

Room Tip: Go for a garden room which looks over the lawn