“Fantastic food, tired restaurant”

The Lawns Restaurant at Thornton Hall Hotel
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: With 3 AA Rosettes for fine dining, our restaurant offers a menu for lunch and dinner of superb international cuisine, and we have an extensive selection of wines from around the world to accompany. Our beautifully styled restaurant is the ideal venue for any special occasion or just a treat! Come along and have a look around our lounge is open from 11am until 11pm for non-residents. The Lawns chef, Ben Mounsey, has a background working in of some of the most exclusive venues in the country. He brings his experience to Thornton Hall and has created a selection of fantastic menus suited to all occasions, together with the ambience of Lawns, an unparalelled dining experience is created. Our Restaurant Manager and team will ensure that from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, you and your guests will receive the very best in service and advice on how to enhance your dining experience.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Bank holiday Monday I took my elderly aunt for lunch as I'm not from the area I checked on trip advisor first and selected this place from the reviews. I wasn't let down by the food or the building or the staff. The history and detail in the old building is interesting and beautiful. The staff that served us were attentive and polite and very knowledgable of the dishes and recommendations. And the male that gave us some pointers and history on the building was very interesting.

The only let down I would say is, the carpet in the restaurant was filthy it looked like it had never been hoovered that day. I would suggest on a quite Sunday night they get the carpet cleaners in for a deep shampoo! Along with the curtains and the wood work that's splattered with food and drink and not wiped down . (This was always a Sunday evening job when I worked in hotels and restaurants) It's one of those things that makes you think how clean are the kitchens if this is what public areas look like. The tables were in need of a rub down and re varnish and the one in the window the big chip in the wood needs looking at (harbours germs and could cause and injury)
Otherwise fantastic meal and would go again.

1  Thank Alison S

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Ordered from the seasonal taster menu. Looking at around £150 for two people with wine.

***Fresh food with amuse bouche intervals. ***

Personal highlight: Paprika Popcorn served with rabbit
Personal Lowlight: Too much popping candy (On all bar one course)

Overall: Very Good

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I went with my wife here for the first time in January this year.

The food was excellent and the service was attentive and friendly. The restaurant manager took great pride in explaining the magnificent décor (it has an embossed leather ceiling and Swarovski chandeliers!) and the provenance of all the cheeses - and there was lots of it - on the cheese trolly.

We were so impressed we went back a few weeks later for another meal and the manager remembered us - now that's service.

We would unreservedly recommend Lawns to anyone who want something a bit special.

1  Thank Ian g
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our 5th visit and by far the worst!
The chef here is very good but I have the feeling that Sunday Lunch is beneath him.

For starters one very good soup one tough pigeon,main course one very good pork belly,one very poor(thin but still very chewy) roast beef.when asked for comment mentioned the beef.
Very pleasant waitress returned to tell me that beef was sometimes like that and chef would mention it to the butcher!
That's ok then,perhaps the butcher will mention it to the farmer who might be more concerned with his customer than the chef was about us.
To finish we had one good chocolate mousse and one tasteless rhubarb &ginger panacotta.
All in all no better than average

2  Thank David J
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a night in March and did not have any expectations of the restaurant as it was included in our stay. However this place definitely deserves a special mention and I would go out of my way to go back again. The evening menu was exciting and innovative, and every mouthful packed a punch. The restaurant is beautiful and the service was as good as the food.. This is with out doubt one of the best meal I've had in the last few years. Will definitely be coming back with friends and family starting with the afternoon tea as it sounded delicious.!!

2  Thank MRevill