“Ace Wedding Venue”

Thornton Manor
Heswall
“Ace Wedding Venue”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Thornton Manor is an unbeatably wonderful wedding venue. The house is magical, and you get it all to yourself for the duration. The staff are as friendly and helpful as you could wish, and you relax in the knowledge that everything will go well. There is also the extra experience of staying in the Downton-Abbey-style bedrooms and breakfasting together at the long dining table the next morning.

Amber Outside Catering, one of the four catering firms Thornton work with, also did an absolutely superb job. The food was totally first-rate, the staff were delightful and entirely efficient as well as being unobtrusive, and the manager, Faris Safar, who also acted as MC, couldn't have been more friendly, helpful, proactive and understanding of our requirements. We felt 100% confident in leaving all the details in their hands, and everything went perfectly. Use Amber for your event!

Room Tip: Look on their website, where there are pictures.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Henry H

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a night here after my cousins wedding. The wedding itself was exceptional, all the staff were professional and courteous and the day the day was perfect (the sun even shone!).
We stayed at the manor as a treat for our wedding anniversary the previous day, the room cost £160 for 1 night which did not include breakfast. As you can imagine our expectations were high, sadly the room wasnt great. It was large and clean with a big squishy bed and lovely bathroom, however it was in need of a lick of paint and some new carpets. It is also a great shame there was no TV or tea/coffee facilities. In 2013 when paying premium rate this is surely essential to keep up with the ever increasing popularity of premier lodges and such like?
After a fab day i was glad to climb the stairs to bed, sadly o wont be returning unless the manor is dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

• Stayed May 2013
7 Thank Belltowers
Willaston, England
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My daughter had her wedding at Thoronton Manor on Friday 17th May and what a day to remember! The whole day was magical from start to finish. I read all the reviews below and must admit I was getting very worried, especially when one of them mentioned children had to go to bed at 8pm, as we had children. No such thing, in fact all the children outpaced the adults, staying up until 1am, I have to say though no-one knew they were there they were so well behaved! Well done to their parents.

The staff were so efficient and polite and nothing was any trouble at all, they made the day run very smooth. A special mention to Steve who was there in the background all the time, he is soooo good! Also thanks must go to Michelle from Barretts the caterers, she was absolutely amazing. Everyone worked so hard but made it look effortless. The ceremony room was beautiful and I have to say this was the loveliest place I've ever been to. I cannot praise Thornton Manor enough, the house was amazing and all our guests thought so too.

I knew the day would be great but it was FANTASTIC! The weather wasn't that good but it didn't matter as the house was so welcoming with the fires and candles all lit, it felt truly romantic. Anyone thinking of having their wedding there won't be disappointed, it was money well spent (even my husband thought so too). You don't need to spend lots of money on additional things as the rooms are so cozy and inviting.

Barretts did an amazing job of the food but also they prepared the rooms, the reception area was amazing and Michelle you did a wonderful job. Money very well spent. I'd say to anyone reading this to push the boat out, you won't be disappointed at all. This is a very well organised place and the staff are courteous (Steve you really did an amazing job, Thornton Manor should be proud of having such a brilliant manager) The transformation of the dining room into the music was something else, the lighting beyond words, everyone's jaw dropped when they entered the room. Our disco man was awesome too (sorry I didn't get his name but I'm sure my daughter will do a review and mention him) he kept the party going and I've never seen such a full dancefloor from start to finish.

We stayed the night, and many of our guests did too. Beds were very comfortable and had one of the best nights sleep. We had breakfast in the morning in the ceremony room prepared by Barretts. I know people thought breakfast should have been included but this is a house, not a hotel, so the caterers had to be brought in, I thought paying an extra £15 was worth it, and in the end so did everyone else, we had time to reflect on a perfect wedding day. Where on earth do you ever get to eat breakfast sitting at a huge table in the wonderful ceremony room, perfect.

Thank you all again for making my daughter and her husband very very happy, they had the happiest day of their lives and so did I. Wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I was a guest here for a family wedding last year.
The venue is simply stunning. The wedding reception and ceremony were both held in the main house and it was executed brilliantly. Lots of fantastic places for photographs.
Sadly there are a couple of points that really let the place down. Firstly the rooms. They are lovely with big comfy beds but in my opinion they are very over priced. Especially the smaller rooms which are nothing special. My biggest bug bear was that they do not provide keys for the rooms. This meant that when I went to my room I would find random guests giving themselves a tour. As it was a large wedding and I did not know everyone I was nervous of leaving valuables about.
The thing that really ruined the day was the elderly gentleman who I guess owns the place. He was rude to a number of guests including the wedding party. I was shouted at for putting a wine glass on a particular table. I would hate to cause damage to an antique but if it is that valuable then hide it from guests or leave a polite sign. The worst part was him spontaneously deciding that children had to leave at 8pm. If this is their policy then guests should have been forewarned. This meant the majority of guests either had to leave with their children or spend the night in their overpriced room instead of the reception.
Should you book this as your wedding venue? It's worth the hassle but make sure you set boundaries before booking and ask for a different master of ceremonies because their one is rude'

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank luxurybackpacker7
Mirfield, West Yorks
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We attended our friends wedding reception at the Manor on Saturday 27th April 2013, the setting is superb and the grounds were lovely, the room in which the reception was held had been prepared to a high standard and the food was superb. Staff (& Harry) we all very attentive during the course of the day and everything went smoothly (which was a concern to me being the best man!!). We didn’t stop at the Manor as we have quite a large family however I understand that it isn’t cheap but clearly you do pay for what you get. Highly recommended and even better when the weather is good!!!

Room Tip: The cheapest....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Please please please read this review before booking thornton manor for your wedding! Recently had a family wedding here and it was a nightmare! Very very expensive and the manager phill is extremely arrogant and rude!!! Never answers calls either! Beautiful venue but definately not worth the hassel trust me! If you do book this venue make sure you have everything written clearly and signed by phill before you pay him and he messes you about!

• Stayed April 2013
21 Thank sanah30
West Kirby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Thornton Manor in October '12 and it was a magical and memorable day. The venue is stunning both inside the manor house itself and the grounds it is set in. All the staff at Thornton Manor worked incredibly hard to ensure the day ran smoothly.

Having the wedding in October we weren't expecting good weather however the weather gods were kind to us and it was a lovely sunny day. So much so that our drinks reception was held on the patio overlooking the gardens which was a something we weren't expecting to be able to do.

For our catering we used Barrett's Caterers and can thoroughly recommend them. Michelle works so hard and she was full of helpful tips and advice on the run up to the big day and she really put our minds at ease. On the day itself she and her team worked tirelessly to ensure everything went off without a hitch. The food they served was of exceptional quality and we had so many compliments after the wedding about the food - describing it as 'the best food they have ever had at a wedding', and 'of 5 star quality'...which speaks volumes!

We loved every minute of the day (which went too quickly) and I can thoroughly recommend Thornton Manor for a truly memorable wedding day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 44 in Chester
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sunlight

Been to Thornton Manor? Share your experiences!