“I don't usually do these...but this was luxury incarnate”

The Tumbling Weir Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ottery St. Mary
Reviewed August 10, 2012

First of all I should clarify that my boyfriend and I usually visit out of the way quirky backwater places, so staying in a traditional hotel like this is a little out of my comfort zone. That said, I'd come back here again. It looks a bit drab from the road, but go up the driveway and you come across this thatched roof building with a lovely garden and amazing interiors. Our bedroom was gorgeous and at one point I felt like a bit of a princess. My boyfriend particularly loved the fire place in the lounge, but he's a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter based on what we had. The owners said all the rooms are similarly furnished and...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Tumbling Weir Hotel

Reviewed July 7, 2012

What a lovely, traditional hotel! Don't be put off by the entrance driveway, which doesn't look too appealing - it leads round to the carpark and quiet leafy gardens.The staff were helpful and friendly and were more than accommodating for my 3 year old son - they made up a special meal for him and gave us a larger double room all for the same price as single occupancy. The room was lovely and warm (there was a spare blanket provided), the bed comfortable and the bed linen of good quality. The ensuite was clean and fresh and the shower lovely and warm. The food was superb, both in the evening and for breakfast and was good value for money. Overall, the whole stay was excellent and I won't hesitate to book again. Worth far more than the 2 stars it has been awarded.
(book through Hotels.com via Quidco for 10% cashback)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We have stayed at this lovely hotel many times. It has charm in abundance, from the top of its thatched roof, down to its snug lounge with Inglenook fire place. The bedrooms are compact but adequate, with ensuit in all. The garden is pristine and the food of the highest standard. A small, friendly, family business, it is the ideal location for touring East Devon, or a quiet overnights stay on a business trip. If you're looking for somewhere that is not your bulk standard chain hotel, then this is your place.

Room Tip: no 11 is probably the best. Overlooks the gardens and is quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times on business and I will alway use it when I'm in the area from now on. The rooms are a little on the small size, but they are more than adequate and very comfortable. The owners and staff are always very friendly and accommodating and the food is outstanding. I particularly recommend the chocolate brownie! It is excellent value for money and I would be happy to stay here with my family as well as on business.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Unfriendly reception, cold rooms hardly large enough for the smallest possible double beds . The heating when operated sparingly worked well .The room was clean but hardly large enough for comfort. The list of meal times and 10.30 am checkout time hardly shows much regard for hospitality not that one would want to spend more time in such a dark unwelcoming venue. The only redeeming feature was an excellent breakfast

Room Tip: Stay at another location
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank antony121
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is an excellent family run hotel, but not easy to find. Do not use sat nav as this will take you to a car park not part of the hotel. Use the web site directions, just pay attention when you get to Ottery St Mary it is easy to drive past the narrow turning off the road.
But when you get there it is well worth it. You get a very warm friendly welcome, rooms are lovely and the setting is excellent.
I don't think I heard any traffic noise just birds chirping in the well kept grounds. The hotel has free Wifi, about 10 rooms and some really good beer.

The food is outstanding it is well presented and tastes absolutely magic. I think it serves a better standard of food than many restaurants and hotels with lots of stars after there name.
I was introduced to it by a colleague who was organizing a reunion, but I intend to go back and take my wife along for a short romantic break.

If you are travelling down that way whether on business or pleasure it is worth organizing your journey to coincide with an overnight stay at the Tumbling Weir Hotel.

Try the "Otter" beer if you enjoy a pint.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stay at the Tumbing Weir time after time when I am in Exeter on business, often for two or more nights - November 2011 was the latest and I'm back there next week.
I started staying back in 2004(ish) when my colleague found the place on laterooms.com and since then other colleagues have used the hotel extensively as well - it's affectionately known as the T.W.
The rooms are comfortable and well appointed; the food is excellent with a wide choice of both [more formal] restaurant type dishes and bar meals. A good selection of wines and a local ale is also offered. They also very kindly do a packed lunch for me when I'm staying there and a hearty breakfast is provided to start the day.
It's quiet and secluded with good dog walks in the area.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and having read some of the previous reviews, I can only assume they have got this hotel confused with somewhere else they stayed or they are one of the very sad people who appeared on the recent Channel 4 dcoumentary about Trip Advisor.
And by the way, my sister and nephew stayed there one time with me when they came to Exeter on a social trip whilst I went to meetings and they feel the same as me.

Room Tip: If you're plane spotter there are rooms on the same side of the hotel as the flight path into Ex...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Hampton by Hilton Exeter Airport
The Grange Court Hotel
The Grange Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rockbeare

Been to The Tumbling Weir Hotel? Share your experiences!