“A fabulous day out in African style”

Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge
Ranked #1 of 10 Kenton-on-Sea B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have recently done a day-trip into the Sibuya Game Reserve - this was such a special day, starting with a boat trip on the river which amazingly exudes a tinge of blue, under the guidance of the friendly guides, Chris and Brian. At the camp we were met by helpful staff in an idyllic african-style lounge/dining room where we were treated to beverages or drinks followed by an excellent lunch, incorporating local cuisine. A game-drive followed where we couldn't have wished to see more game, under the guidance of Brian who was informative and chatty with a super sense of humour. Thank-you Brian. What a wonderful day out that was.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ellielover, Owner at Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Carol
Thank you for your wonderful praise. Next time we hope you can set aside time to stay over in the one of our camps and get to enjoy the very unique and special Sibuya experience that these camps offer.
Remember Sibuya means - we will return .....

We are really looking forward to your next visit
Love and regards
Nick, Carol and the Sibuya team

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This lodge has allot of potential, but it is not there yet. Our guide, Mike, was fantastic. He made our trip every scent worth the money. We enjoyed his stories and company. The lodge has a few short comings that they can improve. For example the food is not 4-star quality. There are coffee and tea provided in the room, but no hot water? The house wine provided (even though there is more than enough!) is not great quality. The staff (apart from Mike) is not very helpful. We had to carry our own bags to our rooms. They can employ a worker to carry the quests luggage to the boat area. The area and the animals are amazing. There is a big variety and you can get very close to the animals. The boat trips on the river are very special and beautiful. Overall it was a lovely trip, but with a few adjustments here and there it could be a great trip next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Ellielover, Owner at Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Burnese,

Thank you for your review - I am very pleased that overall you had a lovely trip but am extremely concerned with the areas where we let you down. I have already met with all the staff concerned and particularly with Mike who was your host for your stay.
It seems there has been a great deal of miscommunication for which I must apologise unreservedly on behalf of all at Sibuya. Many of these hiccups would not have been pertinent if our staff had communicated better and although a little after the fact, let me try and answer your comments by explaining what you should have been told in camp:

As Sibuya has two eco friendly camps with solar power stations instead of mains power, we are unable to use many of the electrical appliances that one might expect, for example, in a normal city hotel.
From a catering point of view this means that most of our food is cooked on gas or on an open fire - i.e. generally braais as we call them in SA (or barbeques) and potjies (traditional stews). We call it "fine fireside fare" and it is most definitely and unashamedly camp food and not a typical spread as one might expect in a 4 star town hotel. That having been said, as it is mostly different to the normal hotel fare offered, we generally receive rave reviews about our food.

Likewise with the hot water in the rooms. We do not have the power to run electrical kettles so all guests are told to ask for a flask to be sent from the kitchen whenever they wish to make tea or coffee in their rooms (for the early mornings it is normally arranged the night before with the ranger). To ensure this confusion doesn't reoccur I have instructed housekeeping to place a note on all tea trays explaining this.
With regard to the wine: the house wines, although inexpensive, consist of two ranges both of which have award winning wines in the range. Taste in wine, as I am sure you are aware, is very subjective and palates vary considerably amongst individuals For this reason we have a range of premium wines that is available to all guests at very nominal rates.

All this should have been communicated to you by your ranger and the camp staff on arrival and again I apologise that it was not.
As to the carrying of your own luggage to the tent - this is inexcusable and I am following up to find how this could possibly have occurred.

We look forward to your having "a great trip next time".

Reviewed May 23, 2013

In September I celebrated a special birthday and as both my children and their partners were available I decided that a good old family holiday would be the best present of all. We did a half beach, half bush holiday. I chose Sibuya for 3 nights as my "bush" option and actually celebrated my birthday there.

It was fantastic! There were 6 of us in our party ranging in age from 21 to 56 and we all had the most marvelous time. Bryan, our guide, was the best and we really enjoyed all his knowledge and input on our game drives. We stayed in Forest Camp and the tents are really special. They are all set out along wooden walk ways offering real seclusion and privacy. The communal areas are great and everyone eats together at one long table together with your guide. The food is homely and hearty and we were travelling with a vegetarian and she was well catered for. There are plenty of places to sit and relax either outside or under cover. My children were travelling with a slackline (loose tightrope) and they soon had the guides all giving it go as well. Luckily no bones were broken!

Apart from the wonderful game drives, our group also enjoyed some fishing off the jetty and we all did some paddling. The game drives are unique in that you spend time on the boat on the river as well as in the game vehicles driving around the reserve. Bryan went out of his way to do something a bit special for my birthday and organised a private area all lit up with lanterns for my family to pop some champagne and have a drink before dinner.

It was my 2nd visit to Sibuya and it definately won't be my last. Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Ellielover, Owner at Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Janet
Thank you for your wonderful words about Sibuya . We are so glad you all had a wonderful time and a very happy birthday trip.

We loved having you all and look forward to your next (third) trip to Sibuya

All the best from the Sibuya Team

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at Sibuya 4 days. We saw plenty of animals, the tents were very comfortable and well elaborated, the scenery is beautiful (near a river), the quality of service is excellent: everything is perfect. We went there with our six-year-old boy and the staff was very considerated (they fished with him, prepared him specials dishes...). The good thing about Sibuya is that it is a little camp ( 4 tents) so it is cosier. and also it is a good value for money.Thanks to our ranger, Mike, who makes us discover the reserve. We highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Ellielover, Owner at Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Bernadette,
Thank you for your wonderful words which I will pass on to Mike and all in camp. I am also very happy to hear your son had a great time fishing. I hope he caught some fish and had the camp staff cook them for him!!! It has been a wonderfully warm autumn so there have been plenty of fish around.
We hope you will be back to visit us again some time soon.
Remember the wonderful meaning of "Sibuya" - we will return.

All the best

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Sibuya Forest Tented camp is wonderful, seculded,clean. It is set on a beautiful river bend. The staff are all very freindly and Knowledgeable. We even had a baby Nynala named after my Mom she was born a couple of days bvefore we arrived and had not been given a name. Our Guide called her Marion after my Mom. Very touching moment for Mom. Edwina Hough Kenton Travel

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Ellielover, Owner at Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Hi Edwina,

Very happy to hear you made it into camp this year - I hope it becomes a yearly habit!!
Please send our very happy returns to your Mom on her 80th.

I have been away but will definitely try and get down to camp today to see if I can find the new Marion!!

Look forward to having you back next year and our very best to all at Kenton Travel.

The Sibuya Team

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The setting on Sibuya as well as the lovely hospitality and interesting river cruise, game drives and beautiful clean and understated tents (lovely cotton sheets, total privacy, perfect setting) makes it a place I will definitely be visiting again!

Hi
And thanks for the wonderful words which I will pass on to all in camp.

We look forward to welcoming you back here sometime soon.
" Sibuya" ... we will return!!

All the very best

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had visited the Kruger a few years ago and was very impressed so I was a little suspicious when my partner booked a stay at Sibuya because he did not need to take anti-malaria tablets. I am please to report that I was impressed. The location is unusual in a river bend and two camps a short boat ride away. The game viewing was great, our guide (Mike) was so patient and always ready to answer our questions, we learnt a lot and he was obviously passionate about his job. The food was delicious so I had to be very strongwilled otherwise I would have put on kilos; our tent was spacious and comfortable, the bathroom very well equipped and most interesting! A great experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Madeleine,

Thank you for your very kind words.
We are very blessed in South Africa with wonderful wildlife and our little corner of paradise is especially so.
I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Mike, the camp staff and catering and we hope to welcome you back here sometime soon.

Remember the wonderful meaning of " Sibuya" ... we will return!!

All the very best
From us all at Sibuya

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenton-on-Sea
Kariega Game Reserve - River Lodge
Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve
Sibuya Game Reserve-Forest Camp
Sibuya Game Reserve-Forest Camp
#5 of 8 in Kenton-on-Sea
Kariega Game Reserve - All Lodges
Kariega Game Reserve - Settlers Drift
Kariega Game Reserve - Ukhozi Lodge

Been to Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge? Share your experiences!