From the moment you arrive at Sibuya Reception, you are made to feel so very welcome. You meet your guide for the duration of your stay and then you walk down to the river for your transfer by boat to the camp. You are handed a Sibuya Water Bottle rather than take plastic water bottles with you - nice touch.
We had come from London and had a lot of luggage (including golf clubs) we left them all in our car, just taking a small bag for your two night stay.
The main thing that attracted me to Sibuya was mention of the boat transfer to the lodges, this took about 40 minutes, we were all offered drinks (beers, wine, etc) and we slowly made our way up river taking in the stunning scenary enroute. Birds were in plentiful supply as our journey progressed.
We were staying at River Camp, being mid-week it was quiet, this camp is smaller than Forest Camp, but children can stay in this camp - something to consider when booking, although this is made clear on their website. We arrived and were immediately taken in by the sense of utter calm and sense of peace. Having been show to our 'Tent' which was enormous, we had some time before we went back to the main lodge for lunch. The tents are situated amongst the trees, and you get glimpses of the river rather than full views from the decking area.
Food at the lodge was plentiful, very tasty, and with a number of options at all sittings - again advise in advance if you have and special dietary needs.
After lunch you have time to just relax, either in the main lodge, or at your tent, or you can go with a member of staff and explore. We chose just to sit and enjoy the wonderful surrounding and let nature come to us.
At 4.30 you meet and after a short boat transfer slightly further along the river you start your game drive. We saw plenty of wildlife, the birding at Sibuya is great, and Mike our guide, was very knowledgeable on the subject. After our safari it was a transfer back to the lodge for pre-dinner drinks around the fire before sitting down to a very hearty dinner with wine.
Then back along the lantern lit pathway to our tent. Lighting is reasonable, but I would recommend you take a torch to help light your way.
The tents are wonderful. Huge comfortable beds, our tent also had a sofa and the decking area, with cushions, was a lovely place just to sit and consider life! And what a wonderful nights sleep with had, being lulled to sleep with the sound of nature just feet away!
The following morning, a 6.30 meet for another wonderful game drive in the cool of the morning. We came across 6 sleeping, snoring White Rhino on the track in front of us. We were so close to them, what wonderfully strange creatures they are. We were also lucky to see a very young buffalo (perhaps a week old) feeding from its very attentive mother.
Between drives again a subtantial lunch and free time in the afternoon, before our afternoon drive and then dinner.
Our last morning started with a 6.30 drive and then back for breakfast before our transfer back to reality.
Sibuya is very much a place to relax, contemplate life and realise that we can survive without our phones or internet, and that without them time actually slows down. Your eyes are opened to all the wonderful sounds and sights that nature can provide both big and small.
Our thanks go to all the staff for making this such a special stay. Mike, thanks for helping me get so many new bird sighting, and being such fun to be with. You and all the staff at Sibuya run a very special place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sibuya has more navigable river than any other game reserve in South Africa. The unique experience starts immediately with a half-hour boat transfer to River/Forest Camp - luxury en-suite tented accommodation nestled in riverine forest and constructed in an environmentally conscious manner. Guests are hosted and guided by a team of experienced professionals. An abundance of wildlife from elephants to otters, Big Five, cheetah breeding program and prolific bird life await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp Hotel Kenton-On-Sea
- Sibuya Game Reserve And Tented Camp