“evening meal”

Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Greasby
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family and I dined at the Greave on Friday 28th June. Let me set expectations - this is a pub and not a restaurant.

The price you pay reflects the quality of the food. This is not a criticism as I think that the food represents excellent value for money. We selected from the set 2 or 3 course menu and none of us were disappointed. We had vouchers for free deserts but were so full from two courses we did not use them.

So there's a hint; if you intend to dine at the Greave, do an internet search for "Ember Pub and Dining" vouchers. You could get a free desert or sometimes 20% off the bill.

Once again, as my other reviews, would I dine there again? Would I recommend to friend and family? For pub (not restaurant) dining, I would recommend without hesitation.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My family and I decided to have an evening Meal and sit outside to enjoy this lovely Summery Weather. The Pub has a good selection of Beers, Cider etc and the Food was good !

Reviewed June 1, 2013

if your in the area you really must go to this pub ,lovley outdoor area to have your meal weather permitting ,staff great .

Reviewed May 23, 2013

come here all the time, staff are friendly and always very welcoming. its a very relaxed atmosphere and child friendly too. Went there for my saturday night out and it was fab and the week later i went for a family meal with 8 people including my disabled grandma, no hassle at all!!
so gutted ive had to move away from greasby so now its a long drive to get there but it still doesnt stop me going!!!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We chose The Greave Dunning based on the recommendation of our B&B owner in Franksby. I had looked at the website and read the menus before making a telephone booking. It describes itself as a Gastropub, which, in my view, it certainly is not.
On arriving at the pub myself and my daughter were quite impressed to see that the car park was really busy and on entering the pub it was clear that it's an enormously popular place, although I genuinely can't figure out why. The evening began with a small confusion over our booking, but that was sorted out and we were seated in a nice quiet corner of the pub. Our waiter was friendly and I feel he gave us good service on what was an extremely busy night.
That's just about where I can finish having anything positive to say. Since reading the menu online I had decided to have the almond crusted Brie. I really wish I had taken a photograph of this gastronomic atrocity. Obviously not freshly made (as I had foolishly imagined) any almond had long since disappeared. Instead I was left with an armour plating of breadcrumbs within which was a tiny amount of melted cheese. 'Dressed' (and that's generous) with a few scraggy bits of salad and accompanied by a small dish of mass produced relish which in no way went with Brie, it was a really bad start. I left half the armour plated breadcrumb concoction because it was tasteless and may have severely damaged my teeth....
My daughter had wanted to order the Jalfrezi Platter but (at approximately 7.45pm) we were told that 'It ran out 5 minutes ago'. I'd have run out too, if I'd thought I was going to be treated quite so badly.
I ordered Cherry Tomato and Basil Penne Pasta. Another food car crash, quite honestly. The garlic bread was burnt and cold (no mean feat there chef) the pasta was over cooked and lukewarm and an attempt to melt cheese on the top had clearly caught someone unawares. heaven knows where the Basil was - ooh, perhaps that had run out too!!
My daughter said that her lamb casserole was OK - it looked like a school dinner. Presentation is not the strong point here.
When asked if if everything was alright with our food (it clearly wasn't as most of it was still on the plate) I did explain to the waiter what was wrong and was offered a free dessert. In truth I didn't want anymore mass produced, portion controlled food in a place claiming to be a 'gastropub' so had a latte which was so strong it was undrinkable.

The only good thing was that the food was relatively cheap - and in the end I guess you get what you pay for. My overwhelming feeling was one of bemusement as to why the place was packed. Perhaps I chose the wrong things, perhaps they were really too busy to cope, perhaps other people like this kind of food. I would never go there again and I wouldn't recommend it. I should have guessed what it would be like when I realised it was part of a chain.
As we drove away (both of us still hungry) we spotted a Fish and Chip shop......now, there's a MUCH better idea!!!

1  Thank toptourist