“No Sleep!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“No Sleep!!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The Ballathie House is beautiful in wonderful surroundings, but we had the misfortune to stay in one of the Sportsman's Lodges (No 62). It was basic, reasonable clean, but would be suitable for a one night stopover - we thought! After a lovely dinner in the Main House, although we found it quite expensive (£45 per person), we returned to our Lodge. Once settled and the neighbours started visiting the bathroom, there was an almighty noise accompanied by rumbling sounds underneath our bed. This continued all night long, consequently no sleep was had. This was our 4th visit to the Hotel and we were extremely disappointed with our stay. The Reception staff would not believe our experience, preferring not to acknowledge it or saying they would look into it or even resolve it! I will certainly reconsider revisiting again. Such a shame. Don't stay in Lodge 62!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Lodge 62!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank patbean
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Patbean,

I appreciate the time you have spent to write a review about Ballathie.

I am sorry that you did not have a good night sleep when you stayed with us recently. I am very intrigued as to where the rumbling noise came from under your bed, as lodge 62 has it’s plumbing overhead.

I am also exceptionally disappointed with ourselves in that after your fourth visit with us, we do not have enough report with you, so that you may call us when you have a problem. I have sent you a private message, requesting you to contact me when you are next at Ballathie so that we may look after you better and build a relationship with you.

I have stayed at numerous hotels, and I have always found that hotel staff are mostly accommodating when I have called should I have a problem – especially when it is about a noise in the evening and I cannot sleep. I would like to think, that here at Ballathie, we would go this extra mile should we be notified.

It is however very rewarding to read that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope that you return to Ballathie to enjoy all of our spoils.

Jody Marshall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Ballywalter, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed at Ballathie House Hotel for 3 nights from the 27th April 2014. Once again we were not disappointed. We stayed at the Riverside and our bedroom was clean and bed very comfortable. All staff were great and some remembered us from our last stay, which was two years ago. We dined in the hotel each evening and the food was so good and service was great, all we can say is well done our taste buds had a real treat, yum!!. We are looking forward to our next visit. Thanks you all staff for making our stay with you so wonderful.

Dear 551730Cameron18,

Thank-you for writing a second review about Ballathie – it was wonderful to welcome you back!

We are delighted that on this occasion we were able exceed your expectations. It is not always easy to get it right all of the time – we do try, but being human, we sometimes get it wrong. I have passed your thanks onto our staff – Thank-you for your kind words!

I hope we do not have to wait another 2 years before we are able to welcome you back to Ballathie.

Essex
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Second stay for us but this time in the Riverside rooms rather than the main house. Would prefer main house but nothing wrong with the riverside and a fabulous view. The staff at the Hotel are super ! Everyone from the top to the (I don't want to say bottom) more hands on suppliers of services were polite all say " good Morning" etc which is great. I would say the Restaurant has improved since a year ago certainly the presentation is fantastic. The Fois Gras dish was one of the best I have had for some time.

Constructive feedback ... The Will Fi is dreadful which caused us considerable problems, it is advertised as free (unless you dig deeper on the website) under the stairs next to reception you can connect for free but elsewhere £15 a day for access is not good particularly as it didn't work at all anyway. We did tell reception several times about this and we were given another code which still didn't work. Apparently the previous owners signed a 10 or 20 year deal depending on who you spoke too that tied them into this arrangement. I would suggest now would be a time to cut the cord. Being in Riverside made this doubly difficult for us and I lost my husband to the main house for hours so he could continue to deal with an emergency situation. We run an IT company and there are many potential solutions and being Rural is not an excuse - or if really not an option be truthful.

To end on a positive as it was all very positive, you are welcomed, well served, and they do put up with feisty middle aged people wanting to party a little bit !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Mrs_Picky1,

It was wonderful to welcome you back to Ballathie – Thank-you for returning!

I am sorry that the wifi caused you problems with your stay with us. This is an ongoing issue and something we are trying to address and tackle. I am proud of the team for giving you another code, which proves that the wifi signal that comes from the exchange in our rural location is one of the challenges we face everyday. This is strongly linked with relative contract we have in place. Please be rest assured that this problem will be solved in the not too distant future.

I am however glad that you were able to relax and enjoy everything that Ballathie has to offer. I hope that we will not have to wait another year to see you again.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at the Ballathie to celebrate my wife's birthday; the last time we were here was about nine years ago so we already had some wonderful memories of this special hotel. We were not disappointed. The setting is SO beautiful and the whole place has such a wonderful feel. There is no doubt the staff are a tremendous asset as without exception all are friendly and nothing is too much trouble. When relaxing in the lounge one evening we were even asked by the owner if we were being well looked after! Just one small gripe though - I asked weeks in advance if our evening meal could have something creative on the menu for my wife who is veggie. We did not want the usual suspects veggie lasagna etc. that we see everywhere when a chef cant be bothered to make an effort. The menu had just two standard veggie options which for a restaurant of this quality is pretty poor. Fair enough when I complained a very different veggie option appeared which was very well received! But we should not have had to complain to see quality and creative vegetarian options when the rest of the menu has exactly that. However, this did not outweigh a wonderful stay and given the opportunity we would visit again tomorrow.

Dear Gary-with1r,

The title of your review is exceptional complimentary – Thank-you!

Pleases accept my apologies from the team for the wrong vegetarian menu initially being given to you. Scott and his team, produce a daily changing vegetarian menu which compliments our main restaurant menu which showcases the best of Perthshire produce. It is not standard practice to ask twice before this is produced. For this we are sorry.

I am relieved to read that this did not have a negative effect on your stay with us. I do hope that we do not have to wait another 9 years before we welcome you back to our haven on the Tay.

Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in October using a Virgin Experience Two Night Break with Dinner voucher.

The room was a first floor riverside room overlooking the river Tay. The room was spotless This was possibly the most relaxing place we have ever stayed and we spent what felt like hours just watching the river and the fishermen.

The bar was small and cosy, and like the rest of the hotel, with friendly staff. The free wifi was very hit and miss though.

Dinner was outstanding, with the cheese trolley an unforgettable highlight.
After a good nights sleep we tucked into a excellent full Scottish breakfast, before heading out to explore the area.

For the second nights dinner we had to jump in to the hotel's Land Rover as the main hotel had a wedding. Just outside the grounds of the hotel was the bistro which only opens when there is an event taking place..
We were greeted by the same staff from the night before and the same menu, which again did not disappoint.

In summary this is a beautiful hotel and grounds with top quality food and staff and somewhere that we will be returning to in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HKymre,

Thank-you for the extensive review about your stay at Ballathie.

I am sorry for the difficulties you experienced with the wifi. We are in the process of addressing these issues and hopefully when you return, these will be resolved.

It is rewarding to read that this did not taint your stay with us in anyway. I am delighted that you enjoyed all of the other aspects of our hotel including our Bistro.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie in the not too distant future.

Wiltshire
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Ballathie is a traditional Scottish country house hotel that retains all that is best in accommodation and service. From the moment you arrive until the time of departure the staff offer friendly and attentive service that is always delivered with a smile but never departs from being efficient and truly professional. The dining room and the food that it serves are a delight.

Room Tip: I would recommend that one of the superior rooms is chosen
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear KandPwiltshire,

I appreciate the time you have taken to write a review about Ballathie.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have to be the most privileged man in Scotland to work with the team I do. They are a wonderful group of people who not only take pride in what they, but they enjoy making people happy. I will most certainly highlight your kind words to them – Thank-you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to “all that is best in accommodation and service”.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was a quick night away to try a hotel/restaurant we had not previously visited. This is a quintessential country house hotel set in extensive estate grounds
Our bedroom was well below expectations - a very small double that was not really suitable for two people. The bathroom although a reasonable size was not as clean as it should be - grout missing from the tiles below the bath taps with pink mould and the shower screen need de-moulding in several places. The view of the river was good though once the jammed packed furniture was moved
However the restaurant was superb. Food quality was to a very high standard - pushing 1 star Michelin standard - service was excellent - a good experience
The above comments were pointed out to reception on our departure

2 Thank GordonYates
Dear Gordonyates,

Thank-you for writing a review about Ballathie.

I have sent you a couple of private messages using the Tripadvisor messaging tool as I am very confused by your comments about your room. I am sorry that you have not received these messages to respond.

I would like to continue by apologising, because in fact, the room in which you stayed in, did have grout missing in two places under the taps. I have addressed this with our maintenance team who have rectified this issue. We however did not find any pink mould on the glass bath screen. I am sorry for any inconvenience to your stay this may have caused.

I would like however to point out, that when you initially made your booking, you were told that we did not have a river view room. On arrival, you were shown this room and you agreed that the smaller room was better for you as it had a river view.

I am very pleased that this did not taint your stay too much and that you enjoyed the food and beverage offerings of the hotel.

I do hope you return to the hotel to enjoy more of the “Michelin” standards you experienced.

Jody Marshall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Dunkeld House Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Fonab Castle Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
#3 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!