“Great Stay Again”

Ballathie House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Riverside Suite (Room #8) ten years ago for my birthday present/celebration.

We decided to go back again (Friday 3rd - 5th Jan) and booked through a third party on-line site, for the best price. This came back as very good rates and was to be in the Lairds Lodge(s) which is the 3 star part of the hotel. There was a section within the booking form for any special requests etc, and tongue in cheek, asked if we could get the same room as we had before.

We turned up expecting to be told our room was in the Lairds Lodge, only to find they had given us the keys to the upgrade room we asked for FOC. Wow that was really nice of them and we appreciated that nice gesture from them.

Breakfast, as been said before, was cooked to order, so was freshly made and very tasty and plentiful. As usual the grounds and riverside walks were superb and helped blow the cob webs away and great to get out into the countryside.

The staff were brilliant and nothing was too much bother (not that we gave them any lol) their style was very professional, courteous and slick. No faults with the staff in our opinion.

I have no ties with this hotel, other than to have stayed there twice, and would honestly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to get away from it all in beautiful surroundings, in an elegant country house hotel, with hard working staff.

Room Tip: Room #8 in the Riverside suite, looks right over the River Tay and is a very large room with nice co...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear KennyCar,

It was delightful to welcome you back to Ballathie – thank-you for returning.

It was our pleasure to upgrade you on this occasion. This is standard practice for us to all of our guests, should we have more superior rooms available at check in. We pride ourselves in the training we offer here at Ballathie. In 2013 more than 60% of all of our staff entered into some area of formal training. It is very rewarding to read that this is bearing fruit from your words in your review.

We hope we do not have to wait another 8 years before we see you again!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at Ballathie House Hotel recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The suite was wonderful and spacious with lovely decor. The food was delicious and imaginative, beautifully presented. The bar was cosy, especially beside the fire! Great to have breakfast cooked to order instead of the usual buffet. All the staff throughout the hotel were friendly and attentive. All in all a very pleasant weekend!

Room Tip: We stayed in the River Suite and saw a suite in the Riverside Rooms

Dear IanFC,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

It is very rewarding to read in your review how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Breakfast is a very big affair with us. Both front of house and in the kitchen, we are very aware that this is the last meal you will remember when you leave our home away from home. Thank-you for your acknowledgement.

I do hope you return soon so that we can paper you again.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

As a guest at a wedding, this hotel was excellent. All the events occurred perfectly, the food was delicious and even when very busy nothing was too much trouble and there was always a smile! The marquee was warm, afternoon tea was baked individually, and the views fantastic.

Room Tip: Only tried one---very good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pianokeysanne,

It is wonderful to read your review about Ballathie, Thank-you for taking the time to write one.

All of the team here believe that the rosettes and stars we have earned for service and food respectively are only worth merit, if they are consistent for every different aspect they represent. For us, we want to deliver 4 star service and 2 rosette rated food to all of our guests, whether they are attending a wedding or a short break weekend. It is exceptionally rewarding for me to read that on this occasion, you feel we have achieved our objectives. Thank-you for your kind words.

It will be wonderful to showcase this off to you to you over a short break weekend if we could?.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed three nights over Christmas: quite simply a lovely experience. While we did not need the complete Christmas celebration at the hotel, we enjoyed several elements including afternoon tea, champagne cocktails, superb dinner ( all those rosettes are well deserved), beautifully cooked breakfasts, a mini bus to a local Church for the Nightwatch Service on Christmas Eve and returning to some of the best mulled wine I have ever tasted (and I have tasted a lot!) and delicious mince pies with a difference! The staff were exceptional: friendly and attentive and so nice to have the bed turned down. The setting is gorgeous. I would love to be able to stay at The Ballathie again. Oh, and the smoked butter...mmm, delightful. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: A view of the river.

Dear Thea99,

Thank-you for your raving review about Ballathie.

It was wonderful to share Christmas with you and I am delighted that you were able to sample many of the spoils Ballathie has to offer. Christmas is a time where we are able to showcase who we are and what we can do – Thank-you for your appreciation.

I hope we do not have to wait until December to see you again.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Set in some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK, you approach the hotel on the private drive and it appears in front of you, sitting by the river in resplendent glory. On arrival we are met and shown to the lounge to enjoy a pre dinner drink and choose our food. No rush just take your time. Once in the dinning room the staff place the correct cutlery without needing to ask what each person is having before serving the food, very civilised.
Each portion is well presented and tastes as good as it looks. Wine and water are topped up without you noticing. Watch out if you are driving!!!
Coffee is served in the bar or lounge, stay as long as you want, no is rushing you to leave or pay the bill.
£250 for 7 with wine and pre dinner drinks a bargain for this quality.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear RegKV,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us. All of us here at Ballathie, appreciate that Sundays are a special time to be with family and loved ones and so, as usual, we try go that extra mile to ensure for all of our guests. Thank-you for the opportunity to exceed your expectations on this occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future to experience the same.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed at the Ballathie house hotel as part of a package that i was given by my company. The grounds are beautiful and we were so excited to be staying somewhere that looked like it was out of Monarch of the Glen. The rooms were nice and clean and although a little tired definitely not something that warrants anything other than a thumbs up. The bar, drawing room and main building were all beautiful with open fires, daily papers and attentive bar staff.
The area that lets this place down is its front of house staff. From the minute we arrived everything was a little bit too much effort. We were due to eat in the restaurant one night but wanted recommendations of where to eat locally for the other night, the response we were given by reception was "ooh im not really sure, there might be something in Blairgowrie". Surely this is a question they are asked all the time? Every little thing was just not executed to a very high standard; I asked for a saturday times and got a paper both days, we thought we would miss breakfast due to an early flight and was essenitally told "tough" rather than offering to create a cold tray (despite us having paid for bed and breakfast) etc.
One redeeming aspect was the food. After the reception staff attitude and service our expectations were low of the quality of the food however we were very wrong indeed. The dinner was superb and would not have been out of place in a michelin star restaurant. It included an amuse bouche and palate cleanser and the quality was exceptional. the one thing that let the restaurant down? The front of house staff, exemplified by a couple we met who had checked in at 2pm to book in for dinner that night to be told they would have to eat elsewhere as the dining room was full. For residents in such a rural location, you can imagine their disappointment!
This place has the potential to be amazing with its setting and location matching that of a film set and the food surpassing much of what we had eaten in Edinburgh yet it finds itself lacking in an area that should be a given considering its ratings.

Room Tip: stay in teh main house if you can, the riverside rooms are nice but you have to walk from outside to...

Dear LLW1810

Thank-you for your review about Ballathie House Hotel.

I would like to offer my deepest apologies on this occasion for your experiences whilst at Ballathie. It was not our intention to “drop the ball”. I have done some thorough investigating and I would like to reassure you that we have put systems in place to ensure that our front office is better equipped and trained to offer a more memorable experience. I do appreciate your feed back.

On the more positive side, I am delighted that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. Our dinning room is a culinary experience. Our chefs and waiting staff work hard to deliver on guests experiences.

I do hope you return to Ballathie so that we can proudly show off the improvements we have made.

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Booked a one night stay at Ballathie House Hotel as a early Christmas present to myself as I was working in Perth and travelling from Aberdeen the night before.

This is quiet possibly the best Christmas present of the year - Santa will have to work hard to measure up!!!

Greeted on arrival and given a warm welcome to the hotel by Stephanie, who then offered to show me to my room (something I miss when staying in modern hotels).

The bedroom and bathroom were immaculate, luxurious and still felt like a home from home!

The dining room was well presented and exceeded my expectations of fine dining. The menu offered a great selection of dishes and showed some real innovation in the marrying of flavours! In the end I had belly, rib and loin of pork - absolutely delicious!
As for the wine list - one of the best I have seen in Scotland. My thanks to Jody for the recommendations.

The only disappointment I have with my stay is that I could only stay the one night! Will definitely be back for many future stays!

• Stayed: December 2013
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear GastoMellow,

Thank-you for your kind words in your recent review about Ballathie.

Stephanie was overjoyed to hear your appreciation of her hard work and dedication. Debbie too was delighted to hear that your room was a “home away from home” – thank-you for your kind words.

I have cut and pasted your letter and forwarded it to Santa for you. I hope that your wish will be granted – it will be wonderful to welcome you back. I fear however, there is the question of “Naughty” or “Nice” which needs to be overcome.

Thank-you again for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you to some winter warmth on the Tay

Jody Marshall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Dunkeld House Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Huntingtower Hotel
Huntingtower Hotel
#1 of 18 in Perth

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!