“LUXURY PERSONIFIED”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Anstruther, United Kingdom
“LUXURY PERSONIFIED”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stunning Hotel / Country House set in an estate overlooking the Tay , with so much charm and warmth , it feels homely and cosy , yet elegant and luxurious. We stayed in the modern building Riverside view room on the ground floor , with our own picture window and front door leading to a liitle balcony with garden table and chairs to sit and enjoy the wonder of horses beyond , the river and thw whole ambience of the setting . The personal touches and friendliness of the staff make for a superd time . The food is exceptional quality and is a presented faultlessly . The Cheese Board is an experience in its-self , with a detailed explanation of the providence of the cheese . THe owner remembered us from a previous visit and is most anxious to ensure everything is ok and if he can do anything to make your stay more comfortable . That gift of hospitality is a very rare thing , which we appreciatted very much . Of course meeting Murphy , his black lab was an added bonus for us . We will most definately be back . The bed was enormous and very comfortable .

Room Tip: The sportmans lodges are for Sportmen . The river view rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Lorraine I,

Thank-you for your wonderful review about Ballathie.

I agree with you in that small touches are what make a hotel like Ballathie special. Our whole team work hard to ensure that we are doing as much as we can to make as many memories as possible for each of our individual guest – thank-you for the opportunity to make a memory with you on this occasion.

Our cheese board has become a very special addition to what we do here at Ballathie. Through Scott and his team in the Kitchen and the service of Wojciech and Alexander in the dinning room, we are proud to announce that we have recently won the Best British Cheese Board – I am delighted that you found it and experience!

I do hope that you return soon and enjoy the company of Murphy and our “enormous” beds.

Kind regards.

Jody Marshall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is very traditional and welcoming, with efficient and friendly staff. We stayed at the the river side apartments within the estate overlooking the river Tay with private balcony which provided stunning views throughout our stay. The food at the hotel is fabulous but a little on the expensive side, so depending on your budget it's certainly worthwhile dining at least one night at the hotel. The hotel & our room where clean but the housekeeping department should look at dusting the bathroom skirtings & the hanging lights in the hotel reception area as these were dusty. We had a wonderful stay at the ballathie and would certainly recommend it for a base to explore and relax.

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 12 at the riverside lodges which had an unrestricted view of the river.
1 Thank Lorraine F
Dear Lorraine F,

It is rewarding to read your recent review about Ballathie – We appreciate you kind words.

I have passed your comments onto our housekeeping team, who have upped their already high cleaning régime. Our team were delighted to hear that you enjoyed our service, our fayre and the hotel as a whole.

We look forward to welcoming you again we you are next in our area from Glasgow.

Kind regards.

Columbia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Ballathie house was our base for our first trip to Scotland. The estate is breath taking with gardens that lead to the river's edge. We stayed in a river view room on the second floor which looked over the nicely manicured lawn to the river Tay. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was generous, well presented and great way to start the day. Dinner was very fine with great service. A shout out to Paul the barman, whose attentive service and genuine kindness made the end of every evening a winner. The location is great for exploring. We went to the east coast to play golf and to Braemar the day of the games. I also spent one day fishing but not at Ballathie. A word to those not familiar with fishing on the Tay, book early! There are a very very limited number of fishing slots available at any one fishing beat on the Tay. If you wish to fish somewhere in particular be proactive.

Room Tip: Second floor river view room. We stayed in room 4 in the main building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Tom_Q_65203,

Thank-you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about Ballathie.

Like all of the members of our team, Paul is a great example of how our team members here at Ballathie, aspire to go the extra mile to ensure all of our guests have a memorable stay. I have passed your kind words onto Paul who was exceptionally grateful – thank-you.

We look forward to you using Ballathie as your base when you return to Scotland next year.

glasgow
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Okay, the good, the ok and the :-(

1. Beautiful estate, stunning and perfect views. The owner is a lovely gent who introduced himself and his gorgeous dog Murphy. The bar is cosy and the barman an absolute star who gives the most impeccable service. His manners and style lovely.
The breakfast was hearty and filling and delicious. Without fault.

2. The not so good, the receptionist knew we were travelling from Glasgow but did not warn us of a road closure on approach to hotel causing a much extended diversion which ate into our stay. On arrival she was in her little office/cupboard and although she noticed us she did not acknowledge us at all and when she did, she was polite but not welcoming, perfunctorily doing her job with no warmth at all.

She seemed to lose all interest in us when she realised we were on a voucher deal.

We were checked into the riverside rooms, (no directions given, just waved away) the room is very 1970's motel, inside was disappointingly small and very very ordinary.

However the view and the little patio were stunning. Gorgeous to wake up to the beautiful river, so that more than made up for the disappointing room. The linen was clean and fresh and the bed (2beds pushed together )comfortable enough.
Toiletries were of a nice quality and comfortable terry robes provided. Which was a nice treat.
The turndown service was nice and appreciated.

The meal. Expensive, and beautifully presented. The food itself was good, not great, just good although the dessert cannelloni was delicious.

I think our experience was marred by being put in a seperate adjacent room on our own to all the action and hustle and bustle and views. We felt treated differently ( were we placed in the 'voucher' room?).

We ordered a very expensive bottle of wine and it wasn't chilled, the barman was wonderful, apologetic and doing his utmost, we were given 2 glasses of complimentary house wine whilst we were waiting for ours to chill, He could not have done more. However it wasn't ready to drink until the meal was over, which sort of defeated the object. I personally would have expected the wine to be complimented.

In summary we had a lovely stay and would return, however there were niggles that some staff training could easily fix, if all the staff could be like the barman this place would be a delight.
On reading the reviews it seems that people who have better luck with staff have a fab stay, and those who don't feel disappointed.

I also feel it should be explained if you are in a riverside room as I was expecting a 'castle' old fashioned stay, and got 70's barratt house. If I had been warned I would have just appreciated the view and the lovely little patio.

Room Tip: I liked the view and the outdoor patio of the riverside rooms, but be warned they are very 1970'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear IolaroseGlasgow,

Thank-you for your comprehensive review about Ballathie.

I am sorry that on this occasion you feel unsettled about your stay. We tend to only look in a 15 mile radius of the hotel before informing guests of road closures. This is because we are not always certain where our guests are coming from – we find that even if guests live in Glasgow they might be staying elsewhere, especially if it is a Saturday night.

I am also sorry that you felt isolated in the bay windows over looking the Tay. It is my sentiment that a quiet window table is better that a back corner in a full dining room. It is very disappointing for me to know that you did not tell me about these issues when I poured your South African Chenin Blanc on the evening you dinned.

I am however delighted that you enjoyed all of the other spoils Ballathie offered to you during your stay.

Thank-you for wanting to return to Ballathie. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked this the day before I stayed and paid for a master bedroom. Checking in was quick and easy. Our room was beautiful and worth the extra charge. We had a drink in the bar but had to go looking fora barman to serve us. Service was fine. We did not arrive until 6pm and
the restaurant was very busy so had to wait for dinner until 845 which was a bit late. The service in the restaurant was fine and the dinner was good. The wine waiter was very helpful. I did feel that the dinner was a bit overpriced for the quality of the food. I had hake and it was a bit bland but well cooked. More to do with the fish than the chef. Breakfast was okay. The head waiter really needed to smile and greet his guests in a more friendly manner. But all in all we had a lovely stay and would certainly return in the future.

Room Tip: The hotel is very much on its own remember to pre-book dinner before you go
Dear Maryamac1,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

I appreciate all of your feed back and I will make sure that I pass your comments onto our team – Thank-you.

It is rewarding to read that you will be back to enjoy everything we have to offer on the banks of the Tay.

Uddingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked this rather grand hotel for a two night stay for my friend and myself and we were so looking forward to it. We were certainly not disappointed with the location, it was picturesque and set well back from the road with a wonderful drive up to the house. It was very impressive on first sighting. We went into reception which was very small and we had to wait a while for a receptionist to pop out of her cupboard, We signed in and she asked us if we were planning to eat in the restaurant we said one of our nights stay. We had no choice in the matter as she told us she was fully booked as there was a wedding on. This was a bad start, surely if you book accommodation in an out of the way restaurant then you would expect to eat there. Room 15 was an okay room with tiny window which was to dark in the morning. We waited exceptionally long time for our breakfast, but on arrival to our table eventually it was perfectly fine.
All in all it was no more special than fly in the air. We made it special because of what we did but Ballathie was disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MusicbirdUdddingston
Dear MusicbirdUddingston,

Thank-you for writing a review about Ballathie House Hotel.

Whilst I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and breakfast experiences, I am sorry to see that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. Please accept my most sincere apologies for any upset or inconvenience caused. I have discussed your review with our team who appreciate your feedback.

Short break guests like you are very important to the hotel, we feel that we do provide an alternative in the bistro (please look at previous reviews about our Bistro) – I am sorry that you never took us up on this option. I am delighted though to hear that you enjoyed the second night in our main restaurant.

I do hope your experience on this occasion will not deter you in returning to Ballathie.

northumberland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were lucky to have received a dinner, bed and breakfast gift from our close friends and chose this hotel. It did not disappoint, the drive in was amazing to be greeted by the impressive house. We checked in and were allocated a room in the Riverview rooms which had a balcony with views to the river. The room had everything you needed and the bed were very comfortable.

The evening meal was amazing with the menu changed every night. Very much 'art' on a plate, unusual combinations that amazed the taste buds. Breakfast was good with hot food made to order. Staff were very attentive and pleasant, in particular the lady in charge of housekeeping at the Riverside section.

On leaving the hotel we were greeted by the owner asking if we had enjoyed our stay. Most definitely. He was interested to know if we found any fault, only one comment; the walk from the room to the main house could be a problem if the weather was bad!

All in all would recommend this hotel - very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Greekislandchaser,

Thank-you for your kind words in your review about Ballathie.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very fortunate to have such a passionate “artist” for a chef and his team do a great job at executing his creations. It is rewarding to read about how you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon – I have made a special mention to Mr Milligan to do something about the weather for you…

Regards,

Jody Marshall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Dunkeld House Hotel
Atholl Palace Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,729 reviews
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!