“Was going well until checkout...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ballathie House Hotel

Ballathie House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Was going well until checkout...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My Mum gave my husband and I a night away at Ballathie as part of our Christmas via a 5pm deal. We arrived and had to wait a while to check in as the receptionist was on the phone dealing with a booking enquiry, which was fair enough. We were then directed to our room, which was absolutely gorgeous! I even commented to my husband that this was an amazing room considering it was a website offer.
We had dinner in the hotel which, although very tasty and well presented, was a bit hard to swallow at £100 for dinner, one glass of wine and one pint of lager.
We knew we would have the balance of £100 to pay on check out the next day. However, what we were not expecting was to be charged £50 for the room upgrade we had apparently requested when booking our night away!! I can assure you, we did not ask for a room upgrade, but of course that did explain our surprise at the room! After some `negotiation` they agreed to remove the £ 50 charge.
I do not mind paying for quality, but I highly object to an attempted rip off and then to be told it was because we asked for it! At no point during check in was it confirmed that we were in an upgraded room, not sure why they thought we would just stay quiet and pay the charge.
Would not stay or eat here again.
I would like to confirm that my score for service purely relates to our experience at checkout. All the restaurant staff were fantastic and could not be faulted.

4 Thank ljriddick
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear ljriddick,

Thank-you for taking the time for writing a review about Ballathie House Hotel.

I have done some extensive investigation into your reservation to try and understand why you were charged for an upgrade. My findings have shown that from your booking reference number, a special upgrade was requested by the person who purchased it for you and this was to be charged to your account. I apologise that you were not told about this.

I have also done some research into what other 2 rosette restaurants within a 30 mile radius of our hotel are charging for a 4 course gourmand meal. My research has revealed that our prices are very competitive and judging from your comments from the service you received, justified.

It is disappointing for me to read that although we “could not be faulted” with any other aspect of your stay and due to an error made by something out of our hands, we were given a bad review.

I do hope that you return to our hotel in the future to experience luxury at its best.

Jody Marshall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had a lovely room with Tay view, dinner was exceptional and the staff were very friendlly and very attentive. Breakfast was beautiful ..everything of the highest quality.

We were delighted with our stay, particularly so as we are due to hold our wedding reception here next year....looking forward to it even more now, We will be back up before!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Karen M,

We appreciate the effort you have made to write a review for Ballathie house hotel – Thank-you.

Everyone here works hard to ensure that “Quality” is applied to everything we do. It is wonderful to know that you noticed.

We look forward to meeting with you again later on this year to finalise your plans for your big day.

Haddington, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our 9th visit to Ballathie and we were not disappointed. We always ask for the same room (No 14) and as usual it was spotlessly clean. The staff, from housekeeping, dining and bar to front of house were courteous, professional and went out of their way to ensure we had an enjoyable stay. The food was excellent and the chef adapted his cooking to accommodate my dietary requirements. I would thoroughly recommend Ballathie.

Dear Alastair N,

Thank-you for your glowing review about Ballathie. It is wonderful to have long standing returning guests like yourselves. We appreciate you being a part of our Ballathie family – thank-you!

Like all of our rooms, room 14 boasts personality. We are proud to offer spacious rooms, comfortable beds and hand picked amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future for visit number 10!

Lanarkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked a one night stay at this hotel with booking.com for a classic room in the main hotel building and had this confirmed by them. On arrival we were informed that there were no rooms available in the hotel and we would have to stay in the riverside annexe. When I complained the receptionist asked if I had any proof of booking a main hotel room when I showed her the confirmation e.mail on my I pad which clearly stated that our room was to be in the main building she simply shrugged her shoulders and said there were no rooms available and she couldn't do anything about it. The annexe is approx 120 meters from the hotel and although the room was clean and reasonably furnished it was not what we booked, it had a premier in feel to it. At night we had to troop up to the hotel in the dark for dinner and back again and it just did not feel as if we were staying in the hotel. I have since read a similar review by another guest so this is not an isolated case. This hotel should not be accepting bookings for rooms that they cannot provide. We ate dinner in the hotel and felt it was overpriced for a menu which was limited to a choice of four main courses and these were liver, lamb shoulder and two fish options for 43.50 per person, desserts were extra. Not good value. The staff were friendly and efficient ,when the handle fell of the room door the attendant fixed it right away. The mini bar was a joke it contained two forlorn bottles of coke and nothing else. The interior of the hotel was well furnished in a traditional style however this did not extend to the annexe. I would advise anyone booking through an agency to follow this up with a phone call to the hotel to be sure that you don't end up in the annexe. Personally I won't return.

2 Thank Colin M
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Colin M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your most recent visit to Ballathie House Hotel

I was disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay- it is never our intention for any of our guests to leave dissatisfied. I have passed your comments on to our teams to ensure that similar situations do not re-occur. I would like to point out that on your booking form that we received from our on line agents, the most important aspect of your stay with us was for you to have a room with a river view – This is something we ensured. I have reviewed this and ensured that this will not happen again in the future.

I would like to thank-you for the dialog we have been having over the past few days and I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie in the not too distant future.

Regards from the banks of the Tay,

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

In September last year I gave Ballathie House a glowing review and 5 stars following a 2 day stay. My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at Ballathie with, I regret to say, mixed feelings. Following a long walk we arrived at reception to check in, and asked if we could have afternoon tea. We were told that there was a wedding party having afternoon tea and that it was really busy. We said we'd be happy to check into our rooms and return 30-45 mins later. That being agreed we made our way to our room at the Riverside building a few minutes away from the main hotel. On arrival we discovered that there was no electricity in our room (the rest of the building appeared unaffected). We made our way straight back to the hotel where we were
told that the manager was dealing with it. We asked again for tea and we told that we could go into the bar. The fire was on in the bar but it is not the most pleasant place to have tea on a special day away. We chose this option rather than sit in the reception area where all the guests from the wedding were moving between rooms. We elected to have cream tea and the good news was that the scones were heavenly. Cheered up somewhat I went to the bar only to discover a queue and no barman. When I eventually got served I was surprised to find that the barman had never heard of a whisky mac nor did there appear to be any Green Ginger.
Dinner was sublime-though I had to go off in search of waiting staff to get menus and we had to remind them at the main course that we had ordered wine.
On our arrival for breakfast this morning we were left standing at the door. A waiter walked into the dining room: saw us then returned to the kitchen! Eventually we were asked to sit outside until they set up a table that was, as it happened, already vacant. This happened to a further three couples. Again, on the positive side, the food at breakfast was very good.
It is great to see a hotel so busy at this time of year. However this is the second time that we
have visited Ballathie at the same time as they have hosted a large function. In each case our
enjoyment was somewhat impeded by this. Back in September staff saved the day and we had a great time. Sadly this time they did not, and our experience was not as enjoyable as before. In future we would only ever consider returning to Ballathie if there was no large scale function, wedding or party. To cope with all at the same time requires first class service and organisation: both of which were sadly lacking on this occasion.

Room Tip: Best to go for a river view room in the main hotel, however rooms in the Riverside building are equa...
1 Thank mrskrankie
Dear Mrskrankie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions about your recent Ballathie visit.

The dialog we have been having over the past few days has been very informative and I would like to thank-you for the passion you share for our wonderful hotel.

Please accept our apologies for the problem with the electricity. In the room next door to you one our guests used the kettle without putting water into it, which cause three rooms not to have power in them.

Your comments have been noted and passed on for investigation and action. I look forward to sharing a full report with you when you return to us early next month.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

On a recent trip to Scotland booked into this hotel via Late Rooms. By chance ended up with a wonderful spacious Room number 22. The room had an exceptional large bathroom with walk in shower (Enough for Two) and a large bath at the other end. The bedroom itself had lots of storage space and was itself also a large size. Before unpacking we decided to have a arrival drink in the sofa area in front of a stunning open fire. The menus offered are either a la carte menu or lounge menu, both are priced very differently either around £40-45 per head for a 3 course dinner or roughly £9-10 for a main course taken off the lounge menu. We could not decide on the same menu as both had main courses we liked, the waiter over heard over our converation and offered us to pick from both menus if prefered. They also we very open to the location we eat i.e the high end la a carte menu did not have to be in the main resturant. Food was fantasic and presented well. (Chef is very skilled). All staff (with a special mention to the young waiter who served us for dinner) were exceptional. Breakfast was well good and the taste was amazing. My husband loved the scottish pancakes. Only down side we would say is the big price difference between the menus. We will return soon!!!!!

1 Thank Lucylooby
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Lucylooby,

Thank-you for your wonderful review about Ballathie House Hotel.

I am delighted that on this occasion we were able to exceed your expectations. Our rooms are very spacious and our housekeeping staff pay lots of attention to the final details – Thank-you for noticing them.

We look forward to welcoming you soon in the very near future to Ballathie House Hotel.

Selkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just had a truly marvellous weekend relaxing at Ballathie House. This was a wonderful find. B&B package, but had all our meals in the hotel. The food was superb, as was the service. A special mention for "Evita" a lovely girl who looked after us in the restaurant. What a star!
If you want a special treat in a traditional hotel, Ballathie should definitely be in your top three choices.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the larger rooms, they looked wonderful!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Judith H
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Judith H,

It is with great joy that I read through your wonderful review about Ballathie House Hotel – Thank-you for your kind words!

The hotel is very privileged to have many devoted staff, like Evita, who always go the extra mile for our guests.

I hope the 4 of you return soon and enjoy our wonderful river on the banks of the Tay.

Ballathie House Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Dunkeld House Hotel
Kinloch House
Kinloch House
#2 of 7 in Blairgowrie
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!