“Another comfortable stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Another comfortable stay”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

You know, I sometimes read these reviews and wonder exactly what it is people expect, especially from family-run establishments. Recent reviews of the Tayside have been less than generous.
This is a small hotel in a small Scottish town, within easy travelling distance of many amazing visitor attractions. Yes, the building is old and has its idiosyncracies. However, I would point out that the rooms are clean and comfortable and the welcome is always warm and genuine. The shower does take a while to heat up, but who is in a rush???
If you want shiny glass and chrome, go to a soulless multi-national hotel where flunkies pander to your every whim. GIve me Highland Hospitality every time.
All meals were well cooked and well presented and the breakfast, a 'build your own' affair from a good menu choice, set us up for a busy day. Incidentally, when we have stayed the restaurant has been fully booked for evening meals.
Please remember that hotels like the Tayside are providing local employment and earning their, very hard-working owners, a living.
I can whole-heartedly recommend it, and would say that it is our hotel of choice when we are in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lucy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff at the Tayside are unfortunately let down by the tired and dilapidated hotel they work in! It reminded me of 'Del Boy's' stay in the 'Villa Bella' in Only Fools and Horses Jolly Boys Outing!
The room we stayed in was average and quite cold, the radiator was so old it didn't work anymore. The shower in the bathroom took forever to heat up and when it did it was not consistent. However, hot running water from the bath was available.
Breakfast was average nothing special, although the menu did have an okay choice.
Our stay was heavily over priced for what it was and I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LeahDawns
TaysideHotel, General Manager at Tayside Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear LeahDawns,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for taking time to review the Hotel.

I am delighted that you received such fantastic service from our Staff during your stay with us at the Tayside.

I am however obviously concerned about your other comments especially as you label the Hotel as being 'dilapidated'. I can honestly say that I have never heard the Hotel referred to as that and as you haven't left any specific details I would find it hard to respond to the criticism.

I can confirm however that at the time of your visit the heating system was switched off due to the high temperatures and fine weather that we lucky enough to experience. This is why you would find that the radiator in your room was 'not working'. If you had contacted any member of Staff then we would have gladly rectified this for you.

With regards to the hot water flow from the shower I am a little confused as, along with the bath, it is mains fed. Therefore, with the bath having hot water there should also have been hot water from the shower. In case the shower controller is faulty I have requested our Plumber to inspect the shower and arrange repair or replacement as required.

As I hope you will appreciate if such faults are not brought to our attention it is hard for us to know they exist.

With regards to Breakfast, as with all our other menus, we constantly review what is offered and would be happy to receive specific feedback from you with regards to any suggestions so we can improve from 'okay'.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel or via reception@taysidehotel.co.uk

yours sincerely

Joanne Hardy
Manager
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Very poor. Rooms poor. Served raw scampi. Then told by one of the owners there was nothing wrong with the meal! Checking out after one night and will not be returning. I have stayed in most of the hotels on business in and around Perth. This is one of to poorest I have had the misfortune to stay in. My advice stay else where.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Ian J
TaysideHotel, Manager at Tayside Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Ian J,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of your stay at the Tayside. We are always concerned when a Guest leaves unhappy and always look to remedy the reasons for this. Having spoken to all of the staff who came into contact with you I would like to give the following response:

(1)”Rooms poor”: You have not specified what made the ‘room poor’, please contact me if you wish to comment further. The room you were allocated was to the specification of your Employer: a double-bedded, single occupancy, en-suite room which was recently refurbished with new furniture and soft-furnishings;

(2) “Served raw scampi”: During your stay you were served scampi which you believed was not properly cooked. I would like to address this issue by explaining that the food you were served was thoroughly tested to ensure that it was cooked to the required legal temperature prior to being served and was recorded at 82 degrees Celsius. The product we use is wholetail scampi which is a superior product with a different texture and appearance in contrast to the reformed fish that may be served in many other establishments. On raising this with Staff you were immediately offered a replacement meal or an alternative choice from the menu but you declined either option;

I am disappointed that you did not mention this and the Staff that went out of their way to serve you an impromptu early breakfast even though you did not request it.

Should you wish to discuss any of this further please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel via reception@taysidehotel.co.uk

Joanne Hardy
Hotel Manager
Scotland
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband was taking part in the Etape Caledonia cycle in Pitlochry and we booked into the Tayside Hotel for the night before the cycling (as had lots of other cyclists). The staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Even down to them starting breakfast at 5am on the Sunday morning so the cyclists could eat before leaving.

We had dinner in the hotel on the Saturday night and the good was lovely and portions were just the right size. Wait staff were attentive and friendly.

The room was clean and spacious with a sparkling clean bathroom. Bed was comfy and we both slept well.

Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Perthshire
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Just returned from the Tayside with my wife,son his fiancé and his son decided to have a change to usual Sunday lunch and went out for High Tea.Stayed 10mins away for past 12 yearspassed it on numerous occasions first visit. Good choice of main courses we had four different mains and all were enjoyed, the toast went down well then coffee or tea with a selection of 5 different cakes all homemade we really recommend the meringues all ate toooo much. Reasonable price and sure we will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gaye N
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Took my son for a meal and wasn't disappointed. Steak pie, good helping and tasty. Fish very good indeed. Pleasant staff, prompt service, comfortable surroundings. We stay in Stanley and are lucky to have this place. Local walking/excercise group had Xmas lunch here and all very pleased with meal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank OLDWITCH61
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Lived up the road for 6 months and used the hotel for eating. Excellent food and brilliant staff. Lovely hotel with lots of charm and warm hospitable people. Eat there and be suprised. Great hotel. Cosy and always meet some interesting people in the bar and lounge.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Adrian A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Ballathie House Hotel
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Atholl Arms Hotel
Atholl Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dunkeld

Been to Tayside Hotel? Share your experiences!