“Really rather lovely!”
Review of The Dabbling Duck

The Dabbling Duck
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Fancied a night away in Norfolk and came across the website for the Dabbling Duck. They had a room available for the night we were after so decided to be spontanteous and book and go, very glad we did.

Great Massingham is a charming little village and The Dabbling Duck is situated right on the green. The pub has a few rooms above it and the room we had - Room 1 - was decorated vintage/shabby chic style, just my taste. The room had everything you require and was clean and comfortable.

We had an evening meal in the restaurant, the menu was fairly extensive with a special board too. We found the food really tasty and the rest had a nice, relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast in the morning was locally sourced products and just as tasty.

All staff were friendly and helpful, the only fault of the stay was its a pub so expect noise! We went to our room at 10.30pm but were kept awake until 12.30am with customers leaving the pub, however this was a Saturday night and I suppose to be expected.

All in all a lovely, chraming place to stay and would love to visit again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Dabbling Duck

Reviewed October 30, 2009

This is an ideal place to stay in you're walking the Peddars Way National Trail. It is a short walk from the trail but signposted so you can't miss it! The Pub/B&B is in a lovely village location. The room was comfortable - just the right temperature and we were provided with new towels / toiletries on both nights of our stay. The only fault with the room was that the milk for the tea was out of date! However, we were provided with a jug of fresh milk when we pointed this out! Breakfast was more than ample. There was no menu as such but we were asked what we wanted and food was freshly cooked to order. We had an evening meal in the pub on Monday and the standard of food was excellent and really good value.

Reviewed October 23, 2009

My husband took me away for the weekend, for my 40th Birthday. I was really looking forward to it, until we arrived outside The Dabbling Duck, which we think should be changed to the Dreary Duck. Everything is painted in battle ship grey and the furniture looks like it has come from the 1950s. First of all we had no heating in the room. We were told it must have broken again and Charlotte put a fan heater in the room, saying that hopefully the heating would come on later. Clearly it was not the first time the heating had broken. The room was so dreary and the mirror on the dressing table, was so old that the silver backing had completely disappeared, there was no way you could have used it. We pulled back the bed covers and out came a medium sized spider, which I can tell you, freaked me out. The fan heater was so noisy that there was no way we could have slept with that going all night. When we went down for our evening meal, we were asked had the heating come on and we again told them no. An electric radiator was then put in our room, but it was placed under the curtain, which was literally resting on top of the heater. A clear fire hazard. Food was ok but very overpriced. We went back to our room and when we got into bed, found that the mattress had collapsed at the head end and our feet were actually higher than our head, which gave us both a headache. We then started itching and realised we were being bitten by something, We were itching all over. Everytime the door was closed in the bar downstairs, it literally shook the bed and the window rattled. From 10pm onwards a group of very drunken and foul mouthed youths were standing outside the pub, which was right under our window. Even after closing time, they still made no attempt to go home. At about 12.45 am we had had enough, both of the noise and the itching and we left for a two hour drive home, finally arriving home at 3am. We left a note to say why we had left and would ring them in the morning to discuss the above. My husband spoke to Steve the next morning to be told that sometimes the washing machine didnt rinse the sheets properly and that they would investigate if there was any infestation in the room. He did apologise and we only paid our deposit of £20. I was so dissappointed for not only myself, but for my husband as he had planned it as a surprise and I can tell you it certainly was. It was like going back in time to my granny's house. Just a word of caution, the stairs up to the rooms are not suitable for anyone who has any form of dissability as they turn very sharply and are quite steep and be careful of the handrail at the top, as it is loose. We will not be returning.

Reviewed October 6, 2009

Tucked away in North Norfolk, this pub deserves praise for it's style and service. The interior decor is appropriate to a period house - the various areas downstairs and our bedroom were painted in subtle and relaxing tones.
The staff were friendly and efficient.
The normal arrangement on a Monday evening is a quiz followed by curry, but there was no problem in offering options from their lunchtime menu instead. The service in the evening and at breakfast was spot on - we came down at 8.45pm as agreed to a fully laid table. Our breakfast was cooked to order with good quality ingredients.
The ensuite room was quite large and warm, with plenty of hot water for baths and showers.

Reviewed September 12, 2009

I was fortunate enought to spend three wonderful months in the Greater Massingham area. I was staying with a friend, so I had no need of the hotel accomodations at the Dabbling Duck but I did, on a whole, spend some time in the pub each and every week. Sometimes for drinks, sometimes for a bite to eat.

I was most impressed by the menu. In America a small pub / bar wouldn't have such an exotic array of things on the menu. I had a wonderful crab linguine that was made with crab that was caught locally. I had an order of fish and chips that was to DIE for....and a complimentary plate of escargot from Chef Steve himself.

The staff were wonderful. I was so saddened to read a bad review here, as I had gotten to know a few of them very well. Chef Steve and his lovely wife Charolette were always most kind and very friendly whenever I went to the pub, and always quick to ask what your pleasure would be. Both Steve and his wife arrived for work at the pub about the same time I arrived for my holiday in mid year, so we had a bit of something in common. You couldn't ask for any better people. As a matter of fact, Steve told me that the pub was on Facebook as I was departing England, so that is why I've come to this page.

The staff of the pub are stellular, the people who visit are delightful, and most giving. The atmosphere is warm and endearing. The town it'self is quaint with a feeling of small town hominess. I beleive it's quite a bit like Mayberry would be....from the Andy Griffith Show.

If you are ever even remotely close to Greater Massingham, please do yourself a favor and visit the wonderful pub there. It is something you will enjoy. I know I will carry the warmest thoughts with me for the rest of my days. A shear and utter joy.

A special shout to Steve and Vicky there. They made my visit most unforgetable!

Mark McKinney

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Can only comment about the restaurant, we didn't stay in the rooms.
Good points: Accessible! Fantastic to find a pub/restaurant where you can get in with a wheelchair - thanks. Food was good ( not great or special but good ).
Bad points: The service was disjointed, confused and a shambles. For each of the three courses we had a different member of staff, each one made mistakes with the orders and the service was slow. There was no desire to make sure we had a meal to remember.
Disappointing when you consider the potential.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2009

The Dabbling Duck is one fo my favourite restaurants. I have been on many occasions and each time the food and service has been outstanding. I am now making it an annual trip as I live outside of the UK, but will be back every summer!! Thanks Matt for always making me and the folks feel very welcome and looked after!
Teresa Gallagher

#1 of 1 in Walsingham
The Kings Head Country Hotel
The Kings Head Country Hotel
#1 of 2 in Great Bircham

Been to The Dabbling Duck? Share your experiences!