“Old favourite again”

The Swettenham Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Swettenham
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Used to come to Swettenham back in the 80's when it sold Wincles beer. The pub was then taken over by a big brewery and went rapidly downhill. Around the mid 90's the pub become a freehouse again and sells Wincles among several others.
The beers are top notch, the food is so so for vegetarians with little choice of mains but plenty of sides. Meat eaters are well catered for.
The outside is beautiful with a lavender field to one side, an arboretum walk behind and a church and graveyard to the front. All very picturesque.
The service is impeccable, the bar staff are prompt and polite and the food is served reasonably quickly.
Criticisms? Probably only a lack of choice for veggies and the prices are a little steep for pub food although I think it's worth it for the sheer ambience of the place.
Ramps for disabled, a large car park and a function room for parties, weddings etc.
Well well worth a visit you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Chris P

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Today my wife and I took a rare day out from our busy working schedule to enjoy the beautiful July weather and although we had visited this establishment a few years ago (when the service wasn’t great to be honest) we thought it was certainly worth a second try – clearly we were seduced by the beautiful setting and the outdoor patio eating area.

The food was good and we enjoyed a starter followed by two main courses.

When the waitress came to take our desert orders I requested a scone cream tea and my wife asked for a coffee and she acknowledged the order before taking the order inside to the kitchen.

The tea arrived as did the coffee but no scones/cream appeared.

Not wishing to appear impatient I waited 15 minutes before enquiring after my order and the young waitress said that she would find out for me.

Throughout the period of the next 40 minutes I politely asked a further 3 times with a similar response from different waiting staff and my wife also asked as well as checking at the bar when she was told that it was about to be brought out.

Finally a waitress came to our table to say that she had been told that the cream teas were not available until 3.00 pm (which was a further 50 minutes later)

I explained to the waitress that I was very unhappy about this as nobody had advised us differently – in fact when were they planning to tell me?

At this point a male member of staff who was passing our table at the time hijacked our conversation and went into overdrive to explain to me that it wasn’t available until 3.00 pm as was apparently shown on the menu.

(As we ordered without a desert menu we were not aware of this and nobody at any time advised that it was not available. In fact the reverse was true and we were left to wait with their empty promises that it was soon to be brought out)

I said that it would be helpful if staff were trained to pass on that information rather than to take orders and leave customers wondering why their food wasn’t arriving.

His customer handling skills left a lot to be desired and he was exptremely rude and there was no hint of an apology!

I then went into the building to pay the bill and was told my the same man that I wasn’t welcome and told to leave. I asked to speak to the manager and was told that they had a few managers and that he was the owner (as though I should have been impressed) …I said that in view of his poor handling of the situation I thought his behaviour was even more inexcusable and having had an enjoyable meal it was such a pity that it all went down hill at the end!

We are extremely fortunate in being able to eat out on a very regular basis not only in the UK but in some of the finest eateries throughout the world – it saddens be that today I have experienced the worst case of rudeness in any of the establishments that I have visited.

In closing I would say that the waiting staff although only young were extremely helpful and very well mannered – maybe the manager/owner could pick up some badly needed customer service skills from them!

12  Thank Mike C
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely amazing restaurant! Excellent food, staff and management! Me and my family had an amazing meal, great lavender garden to sit outside lots of outside seating where the young girls wait on orders and tabs are available outside. Wide variety on the menu!

1  Thank Kerrysalone
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous lavender fields at rear, really pleasant to be in. Good food, although I did find the menu a bit limited in vegetarian options. Lovely Decor inside and fabulous gardens outside, friendly staff. Overall a winner

1  Thank PopSickle611
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Recently moved to the area and my family and I have eaten in the Swettenham Arms 3 times in the last few weeks. I am bewildered as to how this establishment has rave reviews regarding food. It is bland, amateurish in presentation and most of all, not good value for money. The charcuterie platter is to be avoided at all cost. £15 per plate and probably £2 worth of product on the plate.

The one saving grace is the smiling service from the girls ................... very friendly.

3  Thank Jo R