Kirkstile Inn
$174
Bridge Hotel(Buttermere)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsloweswater goldcrummock waterown brewerybeer gardenthe publake districtsteak and ale piewinter offerwinter deallamb shoulderreal alepremium roomtraditional lakelanddrying roomwalking weekendopen firegreat beer
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I went to stay for one night at the Kirkstile in Loweswater with my boyfriend as we spent a few days travelling round the lakes. As a pub it is perfect, the beer is good, the food is delicious and the wine was really good, but when I got into the room my face just fell. The room we had (I think it was room 1) was just really dated and looked really drab, and the bathroom wasn't ideal.

I would stay again if the rooms were updated because it's just in the most perfect location. If you're looking for somewhere really special to stay though, I really wouldn't advise on staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Noidley
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Kirkstile Inn was a highlight of our 4 week UK trip, nestled in a valley, surrounded by rolling green hills ,lakes and streams, you could not find a better location to stay in.
This 14 century Inn is a great base for discovering the lakes area as well as walking and cycling.
The Kirkstile has a lovely cosy bar with open fires and a picturesque beer garden overlooking the stream and hills. The dinning area are charming and the meals fantastic but you do need to book in advance as the inn is very busy both at lunch and dinner.
Our bedroom was the smallest in the Inn but the views out the window made up for it, but I would ask for a larger room as there was hardly any space to put our bag.
The room was clean and cosy with a comfortable double bed.
The bathroom was also small but clean and had a few toiletries.
The only wi-fi reception is in the office due to the thickness of the inn walls but this was not a problem.
The staff were very friendly and helpful with advice on walks in the area, even lending us maps and books. Rachael went out of her way to be friendly and very helpful, thanks it was much appreciated.
Breakfast was of very high standard with fresh fruit, yoghurt and a delicious made to order fully cooked breakfast, the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs was to die for. They even were happy to turn on the coffee machine to make us a latte. Great service!
Dinner was fantastic and I will do a separate review on this.
My husband and I would highly recommend the Kirstile Inn as a beautiful oasis in the lakes District.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room in the Inn when booking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lindadownunder
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

we spent several nights here for a few walks and a break from catching up with family. we live in NZ so have our fair share of scenery, but places like the kirkstile can only exist in the lakes. it was picture perfect - even in the rain. fantastic, homely, delicious food. comfortable beds with crisp sheets and plump pillows. inexhaustible hot water to soothe aching muscles. friendly staff, friendly locals. a gorgeous place to spend precious time. thank you kirkstile - the highlight of our 4 week trip.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We've eaten at the Kirkstile before but decided to stay for a couple of nights.
Superb food, relaxing atmosphere and yummy breakfasts that set you up for a days climbing !

Karen was fabulous when my husband left his maps and radio after our visit and she very kindly posted them to us.

You must try the Sticky Toffee Pudding and they do a delicious Game suet pudding maybe not in that order though !! You'll need to hike all day to burn off the calories !!

Luckily we managed to get home as the snow started to fall on our departure !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The family and I first stayed at this lovely Lakeland Inn 20 years ago, and my father used to go there regularly 50 years ago. It has been very tastefully renovated since our last visit, and the bedrooms are now larger, and have en suit bathrooms! The location is great, with good views and Loweswater, Crummock water and Buttermere close by. The Pub and restaurant area was always full, and well patronised by the locals, a good sign. The food was first class, service good, and the Loweswater Gold Beer fantastic, but then so was the essenthait and the American Invasion and..... Also Dog friendly. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The Rooms in the Inn are better than the Annexe.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family