“Food good but a bit pricey”
Review of The Montgomery

The Montgomery
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Eastham
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We've been here a couple of times now in the past month. They have a great choice of beers, ciders and wines and the staff are so friendly and helpful that they make it an absolute pleasure. The food is a little bit mixed. On our last visit we had a couple of starters to share because the portion sizes are quite generous - try the bhaji with egg, it's really good. For the mains we had a mix - we had one salad, 2 roasts and 3 spice boy burgers. I gotta, the spice boy is an absolute joy and worth every penny. I'd been looking forward to it and was not disappointed. Salad was also very good but the roasts were a little disappointing - we wouldn't go for them again. Overall we were happy with the meal and will be going back again.

On this visit we ate inside but we have eaten outside before - and the food off the the BBQ is actually very good. The staff also bring your drinks out for you!

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We came here after some rather mixed reviews from friends but we had a great time, so much so we came back two nights later with family for dinner. The staff are very friendly and it has a very informal , laid back atmosphere. The service is attentive and friendly, and the food is of a high standard. Would recommend and will definitely be back again

2  Thank paulandkaren1
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Had dinner here midweek with Friends who were staying in Bromborough. It has lovely decor and friendly staff. I had the Cheshire Cheese bonbons which were delicious. I'm a veggie, and the other option of olive and basil polenta sounds like an excuse for another visit. They were also very accommodating for a friend who required gluten free. Would recommend this little gem tucked away in Eastham Village!

1  Thank Nora301
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We returned to the Montgomery, this time time on a Sunday afternoon and had a wonderful meal, with live music to add to the enjoyment. They serve what I would consider is their "signature starter"... Black pudding,runny egg,onion bhaji with a swipe of gravy. Shouldn't work but it really does,give it a try.
Surprised at the recent reviews, as we have always found both the food & service very good. However, any business needs to ensure that it does not become complacent. Will return and continue to post our honest assessments, which so far have always been good for this place....hope this continues.
Would be good to see the owner/ manager post their response to the negative reviews.

2  Thank LiverpoolSteveJ
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I have just returned from The Montgomery and have had to have a bag of crisps because I was starving after eating a three course meal!! I had the pate to start which was very nice but only came with two small pieces of toast for £6.95 which I thought was very pricey. For the main I had the Farm Roast Chicken which was quite tasteless and bland and I was very disappointed that it didn't come with any veg. It didn't state that veg was included on the menu but I just expected that veg would be part of the meal for the price of £12.95! The meal also could have done with some veg to give it a bit of colour as it didn't look very appetizing. We also ordered some chips which didn't arrive and the waiter didn't really apologise for this. For dessert I had the chocolate brownie with ice cream which was just so so. The meal cost us just over £80 for two people with a bottle of wine, which I think is quite expensive considering I was hungry when I got home! It is such a shame because the decor is lovely and the atmosphere is so relaxing with all the candles lit, but I just felt that the food lets it down.