“A fantastic mid week break.”

Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hazlewood
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Once again a great stay at Hazelwood Castle.

We booked a mid week stay for mine and my partners week off. We previously got married here seven months ago and are all always up for another nights stay. We received fantastic service from Kelly when booking our room, she was also our wedding planner and can not do enough for you. We wanted to stay in a new room and she was more that happy to accommodate us.

Had a very warm welcome from Steve who remembered us from our wedding, and asked how married life was. Which I think was a lovely touch as he must see lots of couples.

We stayed in the Hazle room which was lovely and modern, with a large bed and great size TV. A great sized bathroom and pretty outlook on to the grounds. After Settling in we took a walk around the beautiful grounds which are very well maintained.

We received a warm welcome on arrival in the restaurant and were seated straight away, food was served perfectly, the right amount of time between each course, all the food was to a excellent standard both presentation and taste, worth every penny. We had the best service from a lovely lady called Sue, very friendly and chatty.

Back to the restaurant for breakfast and more great service There was so much choice, tea and coffee, fruit juice, cereal, pastries, toast, jams, full breakfast, salmon. We didn't have to wait long for the full breakfast to come, and it was all very tasty.

On leaving more excellent service from another member of staff, on our way to our car we saw Kelly who booked for us. She stopped and chatted to us. Taking time out to make sure we had a lovely stay. This Hotel's staff really prides its self on giving great customer service and you can see it all the time.

We have stayed her twice, and all occasion we have received nothing but excellence, I have stayed in three different rooms, the bridal suite, wedding suite and hazle room. They have all been exceptional rooms, and very beautiful. For people who say its dated, what do you expect its a castle, but there are also modern rooms, and there are different choices of rooms. If you want a more modern room ask for one, they are more than happy to accommodate you.

We will be back again in five months time for our anniversary and can not wait.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

We are delighted that your stay lived up to your wedding memories. I can assure you that we are not a one off and we aim to make eveyones stay hassle free and relaxing.

All of the team are an asset to us and thank you for the lovely comments about Steve, Sue and Kelly - they truly are the description of service with a smile.

See you in a few months for your anniversary!!

There are newer reviews for Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We ( 3 couples) stayed in Hazlewood castle on 28th February for 3 nights (taking advantage of the 3 for 2 nights deal). We were made to feel very welcome from the start with extremely friendly and helpful staff. Our rooms Lily, Geranium and violet were beautiful. The evening meal and breakfast were always superb in the Vavasour restaurant and staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. Parking was excellent with a large walled car park and a smaller car park near the rooms. The castle was beautiful as were the extensive grounds in which it stands. Rooms were warm and quiet. All in all, we had a wonderful stay! Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Good parking
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angiecello

Thank you for your lovely comments - we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, the food and the team and we hope to see you and your lovely cars again, in the near future.

Melissa

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Avoid this hotel if you are after a quiet weekend!!! Its idealistic settling, an history, fine restaurant make it look perfect. Nonetheless, we are currently having a rave in our room, enough to shake the tea cups. There is a wedding party on, while i understand this is important to them from a business point of view, we have been ignored, and made to feel like a pest tonight. When my partner phoned up to enquire about the noise, she was simply told good night by the very sharp gentleman on the phone. No attempt has been made to explain there was a wedding, and that it may be noisy, in fact we had to figure this out for ourselves. Very poor service! If north wales was not so far away, I would uncheck now.... at 1:40 am!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank mikeeespikee
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I wish to pass on my sincere apologies that your complaint regarding the noise in your room from the wedding was not dealt with the courtesy it deserved.

I can't understand why you were not informed about the wedding as our usual practice is to allocate non wedding guests away from the event. On the weekend in question we gave guests who had requested castle bedrooms the option to be upgraded to alternative suites as we strive to ensure all guests enjoy their stay.

We pride ourselves as giving all our guests excellent service and standards and take in to consideration that those not with the wedding are looking for a peaceful break.

We would love the opportunity for you to enjoy the peace and tranquility that Hazlewood Castle does have to offer and will be contacting you directly to ask you to give you the opportunity of seeing Hazlewood again in a different light.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

On starting my job 6 months ago they had this on their corporate list of preferred hotels but I have to say I have stopped coming here and now stay elsewhere. The castle is lovely and the location cannot be faulted but every time I stayed whatever room I was in the rooms were tired, I could NEVER get wifi to connect so could not work in my room and the food is very expensive. On three occasions my tv did not work and it took some time to resolve this and on the last occasion I had the most horrid mattress and was unable to sleep. I have had room service for breakfast on several occasions and on the last two they brought a coffee pot that was empty with no coffee in it and the food was cold. I have also had problems checking in and out standing at reception with no one there. Its a real shame but someone needs to look at they will loose more customers. It could be amazing, but sadly its very average and not worth the money at all :(

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that I was unable to resolve your issues whilst you were at the hotel or in my subsequent conversations, so that we could redeem ourselves.

I can assure you that your comments were taken on board from your last visit in December and in my short period at the hotel I have managed to find a company who can guarantee wifi accessibility throughout the hotel and its grounds. This was put in place at the beginning of February and I am delighted to say that we have 95% coverage and that is quite a success story in a building with 3ft deep walls.

Our restaurant team have had an overhaul and we now have a very experienced breakfast team to return our standards to ones that we are proud of. We are continually training and developing the team so that these issues should not arise in the first place.

But we thank you for bringing these to our attention so that we can improve.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed at Hazlewood Castle in December where I had an excellent evening meal with some friends and also stayed the night in one of the older big rooms in the main building. I have to say that the service was excellent throughout with very friendly staff and food was delicious in the cosy restaurant. Wines were also fantastic with the highly recommended Vavasor house wine as particularly good. This Hotel is steeped in interesting history and its not difficult to lose yourself in thoughts about who has lived here before and the interesting uses of the Castle in days gone by. The main castle has superb lounge rooms with lovely fireplaces for that essential chat and port sessions so welcome at any time - particularly in December. Waking up in the morning in my lavish room where you could put a tennis court; I pulled back the curtains to wonderful views all round. Great place to go at any time! highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are great - depends whether you prefer smaller or large that's all
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and the history that surrounds the family home. I can assure you our team enjoy discussing the history and are continually delving further back in the archives to find out other hidden treasures.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the team and I hope you have the opportunity to see the castle in another season.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Myself and husband booked a 2 night stay the first night for relaxation and rest the following day / night to attend a wedding .
The grounds are spectacular the castle beautiful .The first night of our stay we where allocated a room (sunflower) in st leanords wing the room is beyond tiny the room itself from bathroom door to window 8ft the bathroom itself being almost same size of bedroom .I immediately asked to be moved to a larger room but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked .The room looks out onto a courtyard with a carpark attached this we discovered was a problem as every vehicle that drove up there headlights shone staight into our ground floor room even with the blind closed the room was lit like a neon sign flashing in , it was a very busy night cars entering and leaving due to a function the guests of the funtion extremely loud even using airhorns chatting and smoking outside our window we had to close window due to noise but the room being so small was stufffy , at 12 pm we could not take anymore of the noise and rang reception we where told we would be moved the next day ..The parying contiued as did the noise and taxis cars pulling up it did eventually quietend down at 3am . Had we of known that there would be so much noise we would of booked in another hotel for the first night .
The next day was the wedding which I must say is the best wedding I have attended every little detail perfect simply stunning .
Whilst attending the day function our bags where moved into the Honeysuckle suite situated in the castle the room consisted of a lounge separate bedroom and separate bathroom in a quiet corner of the castle with stunning views ..the furnite needs updating and the soft furnishing could all do with a good clean .the bed was two singles pushed together ..the room extremely hot we had all windows open all night .
To sum up the hotel / castle is nice to look at and a beautiful wedding venue but if your looking for relaxation I would check first if there is a funtion on as it is so noisy , I myself could not attend the evening wedding reception because I was so tired due to lack of sleep the previous night ... .
The food was very nice and plenty of options for breakfast and could not fault the service or staff .
I would suggest that the cleaners could do a better job stains on curtains sofa cushions ect and I also found the previous guest dirty underwear in my wardrobe drawer .
So my opion excellent wedding venue 5* but poor hotel 3 *

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding you visit to the hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your friends wedding and your comments have been passed on to the team who made that a dream day.

We appreciate your comments about other aspects of your stay and are taking on board ways to resolve these issues so that they will not repeat themselves with future guests. Having only been at the hotel a matter of months, I am working alongside the team to assess what we need to do to ensure we have the same high standards in all aspects of the hotel. I can assure you that your comments are being used to highlight areas of development.

We hope that you take the opportunity of visiting us again to see what changes we have made.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I'm not even sure I want to share this review for fear of my favourite place being booked up !

I have been here on several occasions over the years and always enjoyed excellent treatments . However they have just got better as the Spa has been completely made over and moved into a building adjoining the castle....Excellent staff, excellent surroundings inside and out.

Just had a fab facial and massage . 120 minutes of pure indulgence and all for £55 (on a special deal they are running) . If your thinking of going, don't think book - but leave space for me ! Special mention for Sarah treatments I feel fab .

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for your comments - I am delighted that you always enjoy your visit and the new Spa is living up to its expectations.

It was a long time in the planning and we hope that you get the chance to visit us more often. we promise to leave a seat for you.

Melissa Watson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazlewood
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Collingham
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!