“Top nosh, top service! 5*”
Review of The Gunnery Brasserie - CLOSED

The Gunnery Brasserie
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a warm, welcoming, inviting bar and restaurant located in the scenic village of Tarvin in the heart of Cheshire. Our charming premises date back to the early 19th century and many of the original features remain, culminating in a rustic and traditional dining setting. Coupled with our enthusiastic and motivated team we hope to provide an experience not to be forgotten.
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Visited the gunnery with my boyfriend recently, not my first visit however as I have been a few times over the past 2 years. However, this time they stood out from last. We were greeted with the door being held open for us, shown straight to our table and drinks served promptly.
I had the Mediterranean vegetable burger with deliciously grilled haloumi and home cooked chips. I am often disappointed with vegetarian food, usually given the option of a stuffed mushroom or bland risotto, but this was lovely, light and delicious. I was pleasantly surprised that a venue cares about their vegetarian diners as much as they do their meat eaters.
My boyfriend had a steak, who by the way is the world's biggest steak snob. Together for 7 years I have never seen him give as a big a thumbs up to a steak as he did at the gunnery! Beautifully sourced and cooked. He described it as "tender and velvety".
After our meal we enjoyed some brilliant live music with some more drinks in the bar area area. Such a great atmosphere, lovely decor and 10/10 service.
Would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Samantha P

Reviewed June 27, 2014

My last review of this establishment was entitled 'Just as good as last time'. I'm afraid I will have to do a major U turn on that review, as there is no consistency.

We had visited a few weeks earlier with local friends and had a fairly good meal. A new Manager, Marc, previously know to us, had been installed, and we were hopeful that his professionalism would finally put an end to the inconsistent service on offer.

On our most recent visit, early June, we took some relatives who were visiting from Oz to the 'Steak Night', as we thought they would enjoy it. We arrived a few minutes early, but were seated promptly in the restaurant. Other diners started to arrive during our 20 minute wait, and were being offered drinks etc before us. We had to ask for menus. We also had to ask for someone to come and take a drinks order. A young lady duly arrived. My husband asked what ales were on offer...she didn't know and left to find out. Hello!.....there were only 3 of them! Write them on your hand or even....commit them to memory (it was 7.30 and they had been open since 5)

After a fairly hefty wait, we ordered food. We were never offered the so called glass of wine that was supposed to be included in the meal deal, although we had ordered a bottle. Starters arrived and were OK, albeit a little greasy. We waited almost an hour for our main course. I'd ordered a Fillet, medium-rare and as a group had ordered some onion rings, for sharing. When my steak arrived it looked as if it had been cooked twice...so overdone it was grey. Don't make a fuss, I thought, and spoil the evening for our guests.... Some of the chips were pale and distinctly 'crunchy' as if they hadn't actually made it into any fat. As far as the 'usual trimmings' was concerned it consisted of half a tomato and HALF a mushroom. I ask you, they are cheap enough. To cap it all, when I sampled an onion ring there was some kind of elasticated meat binding included under the batter! Needless to say I promptly declared that I would NOT be paying for my meal! The whole fiasco took more than 2 hours, so much so that we did not bother having deserts or coffee.

I hasten to add that I no-way hold the Manager responsible for this, but it really is not good enough from an establishment that sets itself up as haute-cuisine. We understand that the chef has subsequently 'left', and not before time in my opinion. I know this is a very critical review. We really wanted to love this place, it's so local to us and has the potential to be fabulous. But they must do better than THIS if they want to retain high end trade. It needs more staff, more staff training and more consistency in service and quality of food, as the reviews of others show!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My partner treated me to a meal here for my birthday last year and I can't believe ive taken so long to write this review! I had the rump steak medium and it was gorgeous! It was locally sourced and the quality of the cut was amazing it was as good as a fillet! The portions were generous and the drinks were spot on. The waitress was quiet but helpful and friendly. The pub itself was quite busy but the diners were set away in a little room around the back. It was very snug and I wouldve liked abit more room but that is is the only negative I can say! Everything else was fantastic! I will be returning again in the summer and bringing the family!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Fantastic food and professional service from friendly and enthusiastic staff. Very generous servings. Would definitely recommend this hidden gem of an establishment. Great value and an atmosphere conducive to gourmet excellence.

1  Thank Bear309
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Had a really lovely dinner tonight at at the Gunnery. The fish sharing platter was Delicious. Nice bistro atmosphere with polished wood tables and candles. Very Good time had by all!